• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Digimon Anime's Staff, Key Visual, Title Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Now that's interesting. You know what? I actually welcome this new artstyle. It gives me hope that they're actually aiming for something more than just a simple nostalgia-grab.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
There is a noticeable lack of goggles in this picture....
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting Durarara vibes

Last edited by sainta on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
As long is it doesn't devolves into slice of life, and keeps being a show about adventure and monsters fighting against monsters, cencoroll was good but it could be better.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
There is a noticeable lack of goggles in this picture....

Davis has them, right?

Oh man, what does Cody look like in this artstyle? Shocked
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
These are the original Digimon characters? They look so... generic. I can't even tell who they are supposed to be.

I mean c'mon... is this Digimon or Persona 4? I can't even tell.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I'm reminded of Gatchaman Crowds.

That logo looks pretty sweet though.
antasad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Relax, everyone. I think the problem with the poster, is just this atsuya guy (he/she?) doing a somewhat dynamic one, with all the hair and cloth flutters and unusual angle.

Just look back at the second nade-nade egg reveal, the all-white full body design. Taichi's hair seems more normal, and everyone get different body features and height help with all. Then try to picture Atsuya Uki's artstyle into those white character frames, all will be set. Though I hope Taichi's eyes are rounder. Those are too Yamato's.

Even back then, I already feel that that picture was not the same style with the original series. and now we see, that is true.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
These new designs look cool but it sure is different from what I saw 15 years ago! Gonna take some getting used to but I'm sure I can take off my nostalgia glasses when I check this out. I'm looking forward to seeing the old cast come back once more, even as someone who liked seasons 3 (Tamers) and 4 (Frontier), yes EVEN FOUR!

Hey even the original designs had some issues, was it me or did everyone have giant Micky Mouse hands back in the day? Laughing

Considering I only see the original cast members it almost seems like it may disregard Adventure 02 which I don't have a problem with because well 02 sunk after the Digimon Emperor Arc, not to mention a lot of other issues with unresolved plots and the such.

Anyway, I'm excited.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
OMG! Everyone looks so mature. I like how they decided to go with the Tsuritama art style. I wouldn't have care even if it was the old way. Also, I think it's best they left 02 out of this. I didn't like Davis/Daisuke. He was such a tool, getting on T.K/Takeru's case all the time. It was annoying. Can't wait for spring!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
So I've never seen the original but I literally thought this was Tsuritama with duller colors when I first saw the image. The director of Date A Live and Jormungand doing this is interesting though. Don't know if I'll watch it though, unless it works as a stand alone.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I also have never seen anything Digimon related but some of my friends are major Digimon fanatics. I think the Tsuritama/Cencoroll look works with it since the original 1990s designs were basic as well. I already got the gist of the story after hearing a two hour long synopsis from my friends (who claim that this doesn't make sense because of spoiler[a season where the Chosen Children are considered to be a fictional tv show in another universe or something?]) so I'm looking forward to this new series without the nostalgia glasses.
antasad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Cencoroll, then read the manga it's based on (Amon Game). And yeah, it might works, I think. Speaking about "feels", from what I've seen Atsuya Uki already has his way with high-schoolers, urban japanese city, and pet monsters.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I also have never seen anything Digimon related but some of my friends are major Digimon fanatics. I think the Tsuritama/Cencoroll look works with it since the original 1990s designs were basic as well. I already got the gist of the story after hearing a two hour long synopsis from my friends (who claim that this doesn't make sense because of spoiler[a season where the Chosen Children are considered to be a fictional tv show in another universe or something?]) so I'm looking forward to this new series without the nostalgia glasses.

I believe the above spoiler is actually a quirk of the US dubs of the shows, basically spoiler[the third season is set in a completely different universe to the first two, and all later seasons since have been set in different universes. But it is only the US dub where Season 3 (Tamers) references seasons one and two (Adventure, and Adventure 02) as being a TV show in Tamers' universe whereas in the Japanese version there was no such reference to any TV show whatsover it was just a "fresh" universe and Digimon existed as a cardgame until they started to come to life not also TV show).] At least that is what my understanding is as I've only ever seen the dubs.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm the only one that actively dislikes the way it looks. The characters look bland, you cna barely recognize them, and it just doesn't fit.

Even if it's old-fashioned, I'd like to see the old 1999 designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6