• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chivalry of a Failed Knight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Tons of action this episode as Ikki fights with what he has at stake. The forest/jungle part felt awkward though, not that I disliked it but caught me off guard. As for the fight itself, most of it was done well and had decent choreography.

Stella also shows some genuine concern for Ikki, something that I'm not too surprised to see. That ending though...!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
NOW. THAT. WAS. AWESOME. I'm still filled with adrenaline. Ikki kicked the douche's ass and got the girl. Life is good for Ikki. So... where to next?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ku ku ku. What, did you guys think this was a show where they'd be super shy and unable to admit their feelings until near the end of the series? How silly you guys are~

The forest thing wasn't in the manga, but it did give the fight a more interesting setting than just a flat arena. Always nice to see douches get schooled. Take that, Kirito~

I think the portrayal of Alice continues to be really nice. The other girls have no problem with her being in the changing room and she shows some great insight and gives Ikki advice. She's not there as some kind of oddity that's continually pointed out for a laugh.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Not what I expected from a light novel based anime.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Ku ku ku. What, did you guys think this was a show where they'd be super shy and unable to admit their feelings until near the end of the series? How silly you guys are~

Nah, I had foolishly spoiled myself so I knew it was coming. It's nevertheless fun to see something different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I think the portrayal of Alice continues to be really nice. The other girls have no problem with her being in the changing room and she shows some great insight and gives Ikki advice. She's not there as some kind of oddity that's continually pointed out for a laugh.

I was thinking the same thing. The allowance of her being in the changing room without making it a big deal means something.

Although some think refreshing for a guy to confess to the girl like this, I really don't see it as that big of a deal. I think we have been having more series anyway where couples really are more of a sure thing (outside of harems, which so far this has not actually been), and really it felt a bit sudden for what we have actually been shown with these characters.

The fight was cool when he showed his true strength after using his ability of where he pretty much learns the fighting skill of his opponent. Some good choreography there.

I wonder how that new teacher will fit into things? She makes me think of that teacher from... Absolute Duo.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although some think refreshing for a guy to confess to the girl like this, I really don't see it as that big of a deal.

It's still pretty uncommon for these types of shows (and most works in general since the main couple hooking up is usually left for the series climax).

Also it's more pronounced since lots of people were criticising the show for being an exact copy of its peers. Well I didn't see Ayato and Julis hooking up in the latest Asterisk episode.

On that note, in the manga Stella made a bet with Kirihara that if he won she'd become his girlfriend. They probably made a wise choice cutting that out since such things are done a lot.

I don't really mind the pacing since 4 episodes for one novel is pretty standard. I'm used to it. Just remember we didn't see every single hour of every single day so it's not like the only time they've spent together is what we've seen. What we have seen was pretty major and would easily lead to extremely positive feelings, namely Ikki's recognition of Stella's hard work and Stella acknowledging his skill.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also it's more pronounced since lots of people were criticising the show for being an exact copy of its peers. Well I didn't see Ayato and Julis hooking up in the latest Asterisk episode.

Regardless of that, the structure of both Asterisk's and this show's latest episode is very similar. In fact that goes for pretty much every episode for these two shows. They are so similar that it feels like they are based on the same story, just things here and there changed around. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it almost hilarious that these shows, as similar as they are, air the same day!

Now while I don't have a huge problem with Stella and Ikki hooking up so early, I did find Ikki's feelings to kind of come out of nowhere. He hadn't shown to possess any romantic affections towards Stella before so him confessing first was a bit hard to take at face value. The whole process lacked build up. When both develop feelings for each other over the course of multiple episodes, the moment they confess their feelings and become a couple is all that more believable and satisfying. Here the whole thing just came out of nowhere.

But take that as a minor complaint. I'll take the Ikki and Stella becoming a couple early on over the leads never becoming a couple any day of the week. I do wanna see Ikki and Stella act lovey-dovey and see how Shizuru reacts to it. Laughing
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

They didn't hook up per se but spoiler[the promise the MC gave Julis might as well be hooking up.]

Cam0 wrote:
Regardless of that, the structure of both Asterisk's and this show's latest episode is very similar. In fact that goes for pretty much every episode for these two shows. They are so similar that it feels like they are based on the same story, just things here and there changed around. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it almost hilarious that these shows, as similar as they are, air the same day!

I'd agree with the first two episodes, but I found the third and specially the fourth episode to be fairly different. Asterisk spoiler[had MC saving Julis because of course he does], while Chivalry had MC needing a pep talk from Stella to stop giving up. Asteriskspoiler[ had two layers of people manipulating people], Chivalry was much more simple as it was just a fairly regular school duel, etc.

Couple-wise, the ED has shown us what, 3 naked girls that haven't shown up on the show yet? I'm expecting the fact that Ikki actually has a girlfriend to not bother the harem shenanigans in the least.

EDIT: Added spoilers to Asterisk stuff just in case
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Now while I don't have a huge problem with Stella and Ikki hooking up so early, I did find Ikki's feelings to kind of come out of nowhere. He hadn't shown to possess any romantic affections towards Stella before so him confessing first was a bit hard to take at face value. The whole process lacked build up. When both develop feelings for each other over the course of multiple episodes, the moment they confess their feelings and become a couple is all that more believable and satisfying. Here the whole thing just came out of nowhere.

But take that as a minor complaint. I'll take the Ikki and Stella becoming a couple early on over the leads never becoming a couple any day of the week. I do wanna see Ikki and Stella act lovey-dovey and see how Shizuru reacts to it. Laughing

If you didn't see that coming, then you may not have been paying close enough attention. There were some subtle signs of Ikki's feelings earlier, but in the last episode there were some pretty non-subtle signs as well. The big one is when Stella is being forced to strip naked for the hostage-takers at the mall. If you were paying attention, you noticed that first Alice had to physically restrain Ikki from intervening, and then Ikki squeezed Alice's weapon so hard that Ikki's hand started bleeding. Finally, when he did reach Stella, the way he comforted her was not the way one friend comforts another, but the way guy comforts a woman he cares about in a more-than-a-friend manner.

As for Shizuru: she already knows how they feel about one another. That is why she didn't go in to talk to her brother after that fight was over, but stayed out in the hallway, and that is why Alice comforted her. Shizuru might still tease her brother, but going forward I doubt she will throw herself at him with quite the same abandon as before. I could be wrong on that (because comedy), but I'd be moderately surprised if her interactions with Ikki remained unchanged after this.

I'll also point out that Stella put herself out there during the duel. The *whole arena* (well, a sizable chunk of it) was ridiculing Ikki. She had the guts to basically tell them all to F off *and* to tell Ikki to snap out of it. Plus she referred to him as her knight. In front of all of those people, she defied the "air" and actually shut them up. That took real guts and real passion, and she did it all for Ikki. That is why he had the strength and determination to get back on his feet and take that loser clown down. And after she did all of that for him, how could he not tell her how he felt? I don't think that was strange or rushed at all. In fact, if he *hadn't* told her after all of that, she might've gotten the impression that he *didn't* like her, and never would like her "that way". So no, I don't think the way their relationship moved forward was too fast or un-telegraphed.

Frankly, I'm glad their ship has basically set sail as I'm pretty tired of shows where the whole question of "will they or won't they" rambles on and on, leaving you to conclude that one or both parties are unrealistically dense and/or gutless. These two, at least, recognize their feelings for one another and actually admit to each other that they have them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If you didn't see that coming, then you may not have been paying close enough attention. There were some subtle signs of Ikki's feelings earlier, but in the last episode there were some pretty non-subtle signs as well.

I did see it coming, because I had spoiled myself. I took the episode 3 as Ikki just being the general nice guy. "She is my roommate so I have to save her even if it means putting my own life in danger" kind of guy. It's how it usually is in these kinds of shows. Since this is only episode 4 and the show has spend a considerable chunk of its time on action, I haven't had enough time to grow to appreciate the relationship Ikki and Stella have.

I can see others finding the whole Ikki and Stella becoming a couple business completely believable. For me personally that moment lacked the impact it usually has for me, but I did nevertheless find the moment to be sweet.
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
May I add that how much of a breath of fresh air it is to have the main characters admit their attraction to each other in the 4th episode and NOT the 3rd episode of the 8th season?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Much more calm episode this week. We got introduction of another main girl as well but more importantly the focus of Ikki/Stella took hold in the second half. The kiss was sweet although not as strong as I had imagined. Oh well.

She looked cute in that swimsuit though.
I expect pacing to pick up more from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Changings things up a bit from what I read in the manga. Though I can't say how it matches the original novel.

At any rate, it's good that it's more Ore Monogatari than it is Sword Art Online. With Kirito and Asuna, they hook up early but not much happens afterwards. We just see them occasionally being a super lovey dovey perfect couple and nothing more. Ikki and Stella are bumbling their way through things which is what one should expect.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
At any rate, it's good that it's more Ore Monogatari than it is Sword Art Online.

Agreed. This was a good episode. I really like how desperate Stella is for Ikki's attention. She is so head over heels in love. It's cute. I won't mind at all if this show occasionally switches between a romcom and ass kicking action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7