• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Nintendo to End Wii U Production in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Same situation as the Gamecube, less numbers than it.

Welp, I knew it was coming, but hope they do good with NX.

"Muh Graphics need to be realistic and supah powahful next tiem."

The Vita is in the very same situation too, at least in the west.

Last edited by falcon.punch on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:

*chugs Mountain Dew*
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Get rid of your YouTube policies or I'm not buying.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the lifespans of gaming consoles just keep getting shorter and shorter as opposed to the days of the NES, Super NES, and Game Boy where both consoles lasted close to 10 years in the market.

The NES and Super NES had a huge library of titles, both from Nintendo and third party developers. The Nintendo 64 was a mixed bag and only had half the life span of its predecessors, and the same can be said for the Gamecube. The Wii had a little bit of a better life span, and had some great Nintendo exclusive titles and from what I can tell, a shit storm of crappy and forgettable third party titles that you would probably see at Walmart for $10 or less (partially exaggerating). And thus the Wii U apparently had some great exclusives, Splatoon being the ground breaking example of this, but ultimately failed at whatever it was trying to accomplish in the market. Hopefully this time for Nintendo's sake, they can do with the NX what they haven't been able to do for almost two decades now and really push the lifespan of their console and really get the most bang for their buck.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:

Tell me about it. There's a lot of great games for the Vita but they never come out here or it's a digital-only release. Even XSEED said Trails 3 won't be on the Vita in the West only the PC. And considering PC means digital-only games on Steam these days I'll be passing on it since I don't buy digital only games, especially on Steam. At least it's easier to import games for Vita though.

It's also rumors Sony's making a new PS4 2.0 so I wonder if people be forced to buy that play newer PS4 games.

-Stuart Smith
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
Report: New Console Will Replace Old Console, Old Console Becomes Obsolete.

Because of how the PS3 and Xbox 360 have refused to die graciously like they should, everyone seems to have forgotten that this is how it used to work, and in all honesty, how it should work.

Because in case you weren't aware... people still buy PS3s and 360s.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:

Tell me about it. There's a lot of great games for the Vita but they never come out here or it's a digital-only release. Even XSEED said Trails 3 won't be on the Vita in the West only the PC. And considering PC means digital-only games on Steam these days I'll be passing on it since I don't buy digital only games, especially on Steam. At least it's easier to import games for Vita though.

It's also rumors Sony's making a new PS4 2.0 so I wonder if people be forced to buy that play newer PS4 games.

-Stuart Smith
There's two ways developers could go about it honestly. They can either develop games exclusively for PS4.5 or PS4, or they can treat it like last-gen vs next-gen, because if the rumors of its capabilities are correct, then the tech in the box is going to be considerably more advanced than what the PS4 has.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The Wii U is ending production already? I was assuming it would end production right around the time the NX hits store shelves.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Same situation as the Gamecube, less numbers than it.

Welp, I knew it was coming, but hope they do good with NX.

Maybe you mean "the U.S" because from a Japanese POV, the west is exclusively the USA, the rest of the world doesn't exist for them.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
The Wii U is ending production already? I was assuming it would end production right around the time the NX hits store shelves.
Thats what it says. Production will halt at the end of the year, which is when the NX is rumored to be releasing, or at least the portable part of the NX with the console to release in the Spring of 2017.

Also, has anyone actually thought about how genius this might be. If the portable can dock with the console and increase its power, Nintendo could get away with two high priced pieces of hardware that when put together make a very powerful console. Sell the portable at $200 to $250 with power on par with the Vita or more in this day and age for the same price, then sell the console between $350 to $400 with power comparable to the PS4, dock the two, and you get the additional power for either the handheld games or the console games, with two GPU's and possibly two CPU's running side by side. That would be glorious.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Maybe you mean "the U.S" because from a Japanese POV, the west is exclusively the USA, the rest of the world doesn't exist for them.

Dude, the Japanese and the niche/otaku public are the ones who keep the Vita alive, but it is also the other console ignored by the big west developers. (Unless Lego games)

In the case of Wii U, is almost a different story, Splatoon, Smash, and the Mario Maker courses, but their stupid policies about certain stuff and bad online system from them are holding them back.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Dude, the Japanese and the niche/otaku public are the ones who keep the Vita alive, but it is also the other console ignored by the big west developers. (Unless Lego games)

What I'm trying to say is from a Japanese POV, and completely being unrelated with the Vita, the "west" is exclusively the United States and in less degree, Canada. From a gaming POV, the rest of the world doesn't exist for them because it's not profitable for them, not to mention some controversial stuff I'm not going to discuss here.

And that without mention the abuse of the word "the west" for a standby for the U.S. by the rest of the videogame press. Oddly enough in Japan, when the non-Japanese versions of their games are mentioned in Japanese press, those games are described as "the overseas versions" (in Japanese "Gaikai-ban/外海版"), never as "the western versions" (in Japanese "Seihou-ban/西方版" ) as far I know about the topic.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Translation: we HOPE the Wii U is discontinued this year otherwise it ruins our prediction of the NX coming out this year.
This. I... I dunno, I just don't trust this. Has Nintendo actually told the source that they're ceasing production? Why couldn't they announce something big like this themselves? I think this is all a little too vague.
Who knows, perhaps it's the NX bandwagon again. I don't believe the NX comes out this year, we don't even know its actual name yet or what it looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Sounds like nintendo is dedtendo.

The companies been on a lifeline for many years now, if Wii had not been a social phenomenon then the company would probably be out of the games business, its doubtful NX will save the company as most gamers and families have clearly moved on the the more western geared traditional and new creative experiences offered by third parties and companies like the recovered Sony and Microsoft.

Well the company won't be doomed per say. If anything they can pull a Sega and become a third-party developer - honestly, their IPs were always far more alluring than the consoles despite attempts to do otherwise. That being said, at least this isn't the Dreamcast all over again.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, but I'm not totally surprised. Even back when the Wii U was announced in 2012, Nintendo had a uphill battle with how to market the dual-screen feature and the underpowered hardware. I remember during the first year of release, many people thought it was a redesigned version of the Wii (like a PS3 slim) or a new Wii controller with a screen. And the underpowered hardware scared off the majority of third-party developers. It looks like Nintendo is sort of cutting their losses and saving their resources for something with more potential so I hope the NX does well.

Яeverse wrote:
No matter how much money your company has, if youre making products no one buys it doesnt make sense to stay in that same market. Why else would companies that are in the positive spin off or get rid of divisions that arent moving product?

But Nintendo is making a product that people buy, the 3DS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/09/nintendo-and-the-surprising-success-of-the-3ds/

50+ million units worldwide is pretty good. Obviously, Wii U sales are much,much lower, but discontinuing the Wii U isn't going to doom Nintendo. In any case, it's too early to tell since the Wii U discontinuation hasn't been confirmed yet.

FireChick wrote:
I only have one question regarding the Wii U's end: will the eShop and purchase of Virtual Console titles on there cease to be?

Highly doubtful. The eShop (and Virtual Console) is a huge part of Nintendo's user ecosystem and there's every to reason believe that'll it carry over to the NX.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6