• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals Neo Yokio Animated Series Collaboration With Production I.G, Studio Deen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok, ok, I know what I want now! I want someone to redo the trailer, but any time Jaden's character talks, they replace the dialogue with one of his stupid tweets! Oh man, that would be hilarious! Clearly this is low hanging fruit, but sometimes low hanging fruit can be tasty too.

Also, MAL does not have either Last Unicorn or Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline (which they used to have) on their site. These were both animated by Japanese studios, but they weren't made for Japan, so I can't imagine this one would be much different. And Time Jam had a lot of Japanese on staff too, it wasn't just them animating it and that's all. This is in definite contrast to Oban Star-Racers, which was made with both French and Japanese audiences in mind and also involved a lot of Japanese staff. Oban is on MAL.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

MAL does put Chinese/Japanese anime on their site, so you guys need to stop talking about things you know nothing about. 100% chance this will be on MAL since it is being co-created by Japanese studios. Castlevania and RWBY are not anime because they were made 100% out of Japan. This is slightly less of an anime than the Stan Lee or the Iron Man one from 2010, but it involves real Japanese studios so it's still an anime.

That said, it looks absolutely terrible. Netflix is really failing hard lately on their "originals".

Yes, when the target audience is Japan/China/South Korea. If it was produced by Americans for Americans it will not count by MAL standards even if it was animated in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

MAL does put Chinese/Japanese anime on their site, so you guys need to stop talking about things you know nothing about. 100% chance this will be on MAL since it is being co-created by Japanese studios. Castlevania and RWBY are not anime because they were made 100% out of Japan. This is slightly less of an anime than the Stan Lee or the Iron Man one from 2010, but it involves real Japanese studios so it's still an anime.

That said, it looks absolutely terrible. Netflix is really failing hard lately on their "originals".

Neo Yokio is not anime. Is American animation made in Japan for a American company for western audiences so it will probably not be counted as anime in MAL
It will be counted more or less as American outsourced animation.

But MAL also have Chinese animation made in China for Chinese audiences with Chinese voice actors like "Taikong Lixianji " listed, so maybe will appear.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I was just reading the description and I came across this word: “magistocrats”. I don't think I've come across a more eyerollingly self-indulgent made up word in anime before. "They're like...magical aristocrats. I got it! Magistocrats!" Rolling Eyes
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
This is an American/Japanese collaboration made to be released straight to Netflix. We aren't getting it later than Japan.

I think Netflix investing in original anime is the way I'd like them to go, but this? This doesn't look good to put it lightly.

Eh, not exactly. From what I can tell this was originally meant as part of Fox's ADHD animation block several years back, but for a number of production reasons got shelved and stalled for a long while. For reasons I'm sure make sense to Netflix they picked it back up to release it. So this is less an original netflix production and more leftovers from the ghost of co-pros past

Looking it up, you're right. New Yokio is this series. In which case, ANN should probably update their article to clarify that it's Production IG USA, not Japan, involved with this series. Given they mention MOI by name in the press release, I suspect they probably handled the animation outside of the storyboard phase.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Netflix original series seem about as prestigous as direct to video movies are the more I see of them.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I think you can sometimes judge an anime series in part before watching it. That is, the story synopsis and those getting cast. That being said, I think I might watch this series sometime but out of spite.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Netflix original series seem about as prestigous as direct to video movies are the more I see of them.

-Stuart Smith

House of Cards.

Orange is the New Black.

The Defenders.

Look, there's occasional garbage like Voltron (Knights and Magic is clearly the better mecha show) and the Death Note movie but for the most part, Netflix is far closer to HBO than SyFy.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Looking it up, you're right. New Yokio is this series. In which case, ANN should probably update their article to clarify that it's Production IG USA, not Japan, involved with this series. Given they mention MOI by name in the press release, I suspect they probably handled the animation outside of the storyboard phase.

So we're looking at something from a dead block that was most notable for trying to animate Axe Cop?

Yeah, not exactly quality. Or anime for that matter.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Interesting...

Stuart Smith wrote:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Netflix's recent ventures into animated original programs have been good overall. Voltron, Troll Hunters, and Castlevania have all been pretty enjoyable shows, and Voltron and Castlevania were successful from what I understand (I don't know how Troll Hunters did).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ok, ok, I know what I want now! I want someone to redo the trailer, but any time Jaden's character talks, they replace the dialogue with one of his stupid tweets!

I dare say this would be a significant improvement...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Look, there's occasional garbage like Voltron

So you praise the disappointing Defenders series and call Voltron - which is the best American made animated series i've seen in years - garbage?

Yeah, right, nope.

Brand wrote:
Yes, when the target audience is Japan/China/South Korea. If it was produced by Americans for Americans it will not count by MAL standards even if it was animated in Japan.

That is... very weird standard. Are the Netflix-ordered anime series anime then, if an international company plans to show them worldwide?

What should really count is the main production unit, not the target country.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

So you praise the disappointing Defenders series and call Voltron - which is the best American made animated series i've seen in years - garbage?

Yeah, right, nope.

Voltron started out OK and has gotten steadily worse, plus has the worst fanbase ever, worse than even Steven Universe.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is as hilarious as the trailer suggests it to be I'm definitely watching. I haven't had a good dose of simple animated comedy in a while since anime usually veers toward ecchi and western animation is mostly targeted toward children. The cringey style and animation and bad voice acting only adds to the appeal for me. Laughing
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Will Smith is a nice father who loves giving gifts to his children. To be fair I don't know how much Jaden Smith was involved with this show. I guess it is possible that he just got a call from Netflix about it and decided to give voice acting a try. After all for every 1 great animated show that Netflix produces they are required by law to produce 9 average animated shows. I have to say though that the trailer is amazing considering that it was made to promote the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7