• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Waits Out Hurricane Ike

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Hope nothing was damaged or loss, its the last thing ADV needs right now as they struggle to keep afloat.

Was that pun intentional?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
This begs the question of why a company, let alone one as sensitive to downtime and dataloss as a production and/or distribution company, or one along the gulf coast where hurricanes are known to visit from time-to-time, didn't have a contingency plan or redudant backup web-/server?

Risk analysis. It came down to whether or not the $ expended to set up a system and the policies requried for a potential event was worth the cost vs. the loss of income if said event were to happen.

It's part of any good RMMM (Risk Management, Mitigation, and Monitoring) plan.

You'd be amazed how many people who don't work in IT, or deal with disaster recovery, security engineering, etc. never think of such things. "It could never happen to them".

If your business is dependent on something, then you need to have one, if not for the whole enterprise, then most definitely for your most critical pressurepoints within the enterprise.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
It's one thing when you have to put distribution on hold, and then down the road a hurricane comes along. They're a bit inland, so I would think that damage cannot be that bad. At least they're not on the coast where the damage will be the greatest. But, they are taking cautionary measures and putting employee safety first. Good for them.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Hope nothing was damaged or loss, its the last thing ADV needs right now as they struggle to keep afloat.

Was that pun intentional?

It wasn't. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm crossing my fingers for a "hurricane sale" when they get their operations back on track again...

But quite frankly, I am surprised that a company the size of ADV does not have their website and other online services held in a service provider's facility...

I'm here in Florida where we get hit all the time, and I manage a couple hundred websites, but none of them are hosted locally in my own facilities - they are all hosted elsewhere - we have zero downtime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Well I'm crossing my fingers for a "hurricane sale" when they get their operations back on track again...

But quite frankly, I am surprised that a company the size of ADV does not have their website and other online services held in a service provider's facility...

I'm here in Florida where we get hit all the time, and I manage a couple hundred websites, but none of them are hosted locally in my own facilities - they are all hosted elsewhere - we have zero downtime.

I'm just guessing but it's possible that it was cheaper for them to have the services on site, or it might be a personal company preference.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

I'm just guessing but it's possible that it was cheaper for them to have the services on site, or it might be a personal company preference.

Or it could be they used a local Service Provider whom is also dealing with the headaches of a natural disaster. But yeah, most companies never think of preparing for the worst (as far as having a failover system in place) when it comes to IT (at least in my dealings) until it is too late.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Yeah, the company I used to work for has an online store that operates on a rickety server located inside the company's office. The server went down at least once a month, but its physical presence inside the company's office seemed to make the owners happy. So yeah, business decisions aren't always based off logic and reason.

Wink

But for whatever reason ADV had its server on site, I'm just glad the people are okay. Stuff can be replaced.
Tatsuko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
They didn't evacuate Houston. Houston residents were told to stay put.
I don't think Houston had much flooding, but the winds were pretty bad. I don't know where their studios are, though someone's already mentioned that area has power. The downtown areas I don't think lost all their power, and some of that area got it back relatively soon. But most of Houston could be without power for weeks. They're sending my fiancee's father down there, and some other people from the local electric companies (in Dallas), to help get things back up and running.

Galveston and other coastal areas, and low-lying areas of Houston (on the east side) were under mandatory evac, but not the west side where ADV is.

Galveston got damaged by the storm surge, but in Houston the major damage was done by the wind. It blew out windows in the Chase building (I believe they're still trying to clean up the downtown area), damaged roofs, blew down signs, and blew down trees and tree branches, which is what caused the power outages. They've made some great progress in getting people back up, but there are still over a million without power. Travel is still a dangerous proposition because of branches and debris and downed/powerless street lights. I was talking to a former coworker who lives just slightly closer to the ADV offices than I am, and she said she still didn't have power, so there's a chance ADV doesn't have it either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3