• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Discontinues 4 DVD, Blu-ray Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
godDAMN, why drop DBZkai so fast?

Probably because it wasn't selling. I'm guessing if several sets were out, and the show was on TV, and they still weren't seeing solid numbers then it would be pretty indicative of a lack of interest.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
I bought Kodacha season 1 SAVE, but I don't think I'll get season 2 since knowing me I'll probably be wanting to get the rest if I enjoyed it enough.

Well maybe Sentai or someone will pick it up and release the rest of it subbed only?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Will these now-discontinued titles still be available on Netflix and Funimation Elite?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
I guess Funimation wasn't kidding when they said the S.A.V.E. editions were basically the last versions to released of something before the license expires(which Kodacha & NDB were).

Just from these shows' history(besides DBZ Kai), I'm guessing they're being discontinued due to low sales.

Kodocha is much like Case Closed/Detective Conan, where it had a small cult following that didn't justify more season releases. Robotech: SC is probably due to their license with Harmony Gold expiring. Nerima Daikon Brothers, just from the description sounds too weird and probably turned a few people away due to it. Although it does makes me wonder if it has something to do with ADV, since it was one of their old licenses.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Kodocha is much like Case Closed/Detective Conan, where it had a small cult following that didn't justify more season releases.

I think Detective Conan was more people are upset with the handling of the American version.

Or maybe it's just one of those series that just doesn't mesh with Americans very well, like Saint Seiya, Shin-chan and etcetera. All of which are popular in tons of other countries, just not the US for whatever reason.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
I never seen Nerima, so I already ordered it off of Rightstuf.

Kodocha was no surprise that they drop the distribution on the first two seasons. I remenber I did managed to watch the rest of the series cause it always bothers me when a finished anime was never released entirely in America.

I do own a hand full of Funimation related titles that Funimation no longer distributes unless someone else were to be interested in getting streaming or DVD rights on them.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
Oh duh, I keep forgetting to finish Kodocha. Man, did I ever slip up on that when life took over.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
godDAMN, why drop DBZkai so fast?

They didn't "drop" it. They're just getting rid of the individual releases and focusing on the season sets.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I also can't say I'm too disappointed to see Kodocha going out of print. I heard a lot of good things about it and was even at a con where Colleen Clinkenbeard was begging people to buy it because it was doing so terribly.

It was a popular fansub back when it was being broadcasted.

Megiddo wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:
Also, for anyone who's seen it, how is Nerima Daikon Bros.?

It's the first ever full-fledged anime musical TV series, and it is directed by Nabeshin (Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemy). The animation is extremely low-budget so the art will not blow you away, but if you like to laugh (and if you're not a prude) then definitely check it out. It's the anime-version of the Blues Brothers. Basically a group of people want to build a big dome so they can play concerts but crazy stuff keeps happening to get in their way.

Are they on a mission........ from God? Laughing
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Will these now-discontinued titles still be available on Netflix and Funimation Elite?

Probably just until their digital licenses expire. It's hard to say if the digital licenses will expire at the same time the titles go out of print, or if there will still be sometime left on them. It likely depends on the title. Anime Network has continued to stream several series of ADV and CPMs that were out of print.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Not too surprising. None of these titles were particularly successful...

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles was declared a success by its license holder, Harmony Gold.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&E picks up the license as they did with the original Robotech series last year.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles was declared a success by its license holder, Harmony Gold.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&E picks up the license as they did with the original Robotech series last year.

It's Harmony Gold. They'll declare anything a success. I mean, they're a freaking real estate company nowadays. They promised a trilogy of movies, only to ever actually produce one. Which utterly sucked by the way. I own it too. They were simply riding nostalgia.

But A&E? Are we talking about the A&E TV Channel "A&E" out of curiosity? I was unaware of that if that's who owns the license nowadays. No wonder it hasn't been airing on SPACE anymore.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
All the NDB love makes me happy. I love that show (it's actually a tough call between this and Excel Saga for my favorite Nabeshin work), and its dub is easily one of the best ADV ever produced. Plus, any show that gave the world the Panda Pandy song is a-OK to me.

I picked up S1 of Kodocha in that last Funi sale and have been really enjoying it. I'll have to pick up the second one soon while I still can.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
So Kodocha's fate in America comes to this... :sigh: I distinctly remember this being one of those titles fansub circles wanted licensed back in the '90s. I guess either fans' enthusiasm didn't translate into sales or Funimation picked it up after interest had died down.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

It's Harmony Gold. They'll declare anything a success. I mean, they're a freaking real estate company nowadays. They promised a trilogy of movies, only to ever actually produce one. Which utterly sucked by the way. I own it too. They were simply riding nostalgia.

But A&E? Are we talking about the A&E TV Channel "A&E" out of curiosity? I was unaware of that if that's who owns the license nowadays. No wonder it hasn't been airing on SPACE anymore.
Yes, they're the same company. I find it strange how they own the home video rights to the series, but don't air it on the TV channel. Maybe it wouldn't mesh with the line-up of crime and reality shows they have.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:56 am; edited 3 times in total
pcj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
So Kodocha's fate in America comes to this... :sigh: I distinctly remember this being one of those titles fansub circles wanted licensed back in the '90s. I guess fans' enthusiasm didn't translate into sales or Funimation picked it up after interest had died down.

Yeah, this sucks that it sounds like they'll never do seasons 3 and 4... Kodocha is one of the very few dubs out there where I think the dub is better than the sub. Laura Baily just nailed Sana's personality as a whacko hyperactive 6th grader in a way that just didn't come across in the original.

Guess I have to go the route of importing seasons 3 and 4 Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4