• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

I was talking about the North American audience. I'm the only person I know who has ever even HEARD of the show.
But if that source originated in Japanese, then my question is invalid. I'm aware of the Japanese fanbase. Otherwise, it might not be worthy of being referenced in Madoka. =P

What the...?

Who do you think made that wiki? Who do you think cracked the Rune Cypher? (hint: It wasn't the Japanese), who do you think came up with all these theories and speculah when it was airing?

If you are just talking about "people who only watch anime after its available on DVD in the US", thats one thing, but the English Speaking fandom probably did more to analyze and interpret Madoka than even the Japanese side did.

I was just surprised that there was anyone else on this side of the pacific who knew Kannazuki no Miko enough to catch the reference. I'm not really blown away, but rather like, "Huh. This is the first time I've heard of it."
And I know the Puella Magi wiki does get some of its info, memes, and content from Japanese fans, too, so I was just considering it a possibility that I made the wrong assumption, but... I guess I was right, so forget what I said about it possibly coming from the Japanese side. =P

And well, it's not really a competition, but I followed both the Japanese and Western internet fanbases (at least, some of the more apparent ones on 2ch and 4chan, even though I rarely ever visit 4chan). I didn't know much about the Puella Magi wiki at the time (I ignored it when it was mentioned), but the Japanese fanbase on 2ch was cracking the code only hours after the first episode aired, before there were any subtitled files around... so I'm not sure how to take what you just said.

As for the actual speculation, I saw genius theories on both sides. People were already predicting things that would actually happen before the first episode aired simply because they knew who was in charge of it and some people were bouncing off the walls in anticipation and excitement. I kinda wish I knew who Urobuchi was at the time (I had read Saya no Uta and seen the Phantom anime adaption, but I didn't know he was behind them) so I could join them. ):
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It was 4Chan that broke the Rune Code. I remember watching episode three and the Witch's name (Charlotte) was translated and I thought to myself, "How the heck did the fansubbers know that?" Because /a/ cracked the code, that's why, and then the English fansubbers used the results of that work in the aforementioned name translation.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I was just surprised that there was anyone else on this side of the pacific who knew Kannazuki no Miko enough to catch the reference. I'm not really blown away, but rather like, "Huh. This is the first time I've heard of it."

Dude, I blogged Kannaduki back when it first aired. Its pretty much one of the all-time most well known yuri anime, it was released by Geneon on DVD over half a decade ago!

Quote:
but the Japanese fanbase on 2ch was cracking the code only hours after the first episode aired, before there were any subtitled files around... so I'm not sure how to take what you just said.

No one even suspected the Runes were a code until episode 2, and it wasn't until someone on /a/ matched up Runes from Gertrud's barrier with the Faust quotes (which were in german!) did anyone figure out how to crack them
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

but the Japanese fanbase on 2ch was cracking the code only hours after the first episode aired, before there were any subtitled files around... so I'm not sure how to take what you just said.

No one even suspected the Runes were a code until episode 2, and it wasn't until someone on /a/ matched up Runes from Gertrud's barrier with the Faust quotes (which were in german!) did anyone figure out how to crack them

Wonder if this was a subliminal plot to generate fan interest?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

But that doesn't make sense to me. I had some minor interest in the show because Kajiura Yuki was doing the background music (the trailers kept turning me off... lol). But when the first episode aired, I saw some threads on 2ch covering new anime turn to start analyzing the artistic direction (and make jokes on it) and they covered the runes and pointed them out, looking at possible ways to interpret them. That's what got me to watch the show only a few hours after its first broadcast (instead of waiting a week or two to hear feedback like I usually do). It's been a while, but I am very confident in my memory in this case. I'd stake my life on it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

But that doesn't make sense to me. I had some minor interest in the show because Kajiura Yuki was doing the background music (the trailers kept turning me off... lol). But when the first episode aired, I saw some threads on 2ch covering new anime turn to start analyzing the artistic direction (and make jokes on it) and they covered the runes and pointed them out, looking at possible ways to interpret them. That's what got me to watch the show only a few hours after its first broadcast (instead of waiting a week or two to hear feedback like I usually do). It's been a while, but I am very confident in my memory in this case. I'd stake my life on it.

No one actually knew the Runes were an actual cypher language until /a/ broke the code after episode 2, because it was in that episode that the key (the passages from Faust) were provided. It was literally impossible to figure them out beforehand, not the least because no one even knew what language (German) they were a cypher for!
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Dude, I blogged Kannaduki back when it first aired. Its pretty much one of the all-time most well known yuri anime, it was released by Geneon on DVD over half a decade ago!

And re-released by Sentai in 2009.
Not to mention, it's streaming here on ANN as well as The Anime Network.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

No one actually knew the Runes were an actual cypher language until /a/ broke the code after episode 2, because it was in that episode that the key (the passages from Faust) were provided. It was literally impossible to figure them out beforehand, not the least because no one even knew what language (German) they were a cypher for!

But they were already questioning if the runes were actually a symbol-based language or if they were made up, and if so, what did they mean? They had already been matching them up with English letters to see if there was any Japanese romanized or English words they could make sense of. After episode 2, things like Gertrud's name and the writing on the walls were being talked about on 2ch. I remember seeing lots of fan-made charts trying to decipher the language with the English and German alphabets. I don't think they were able to make a complete and accurate chart until around episode 6 or 8 or so.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

But they were already questioning if the runes were actually a symbol-based language or if they were made up, and if so, what did they mean? They had already been matching them up with English letters to see if there was any Japanese romanized or English words they could make sense of. After episode 2, things like Gertrud's name and the writing on the walls were being talked about on 2ch. I remember seeing lots of fan-made charts trying to decipher the language with the English and German alphabets. I don't think they were able to make a complete and accurate chart until around episode 6 or 8 or so.

The timeline for this is very well established, and the initial breakthrough was made by /a/.

This is not a debatable point, its what actually happened
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The timeline for this is very well established, and the initial breakthrough was made by /a/.

This is not a debatable point, its what actually happened

Then what exactly happened on my end?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Then what exactly happened on my end?

2Ch and 4Chan are different. I know that's really really obvious, but you're overlooking that simple fact. On 2Ch they may have been discussing the runes at episode six, but on 4Chan the original breakthrough happened around the third episode if I recall correctly. Enough of a breakthrough to translate Charlotte's name, as I mentioned earlier.

Here is what the Wiki says:

Wiki wrote:
During the Aniplex USA Madoka Premiere, production staff was very surprised when overseas fans cracked the runes. It was stated that even obsessive Japanese fans had not gone that far.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
You saw Japanese people talk about the code. According to your own words, they didn't crack the code until about episodes 6-8.

/a/ got it by episode 3.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I think you make a good point about the origin story concept, which I think is interesting but I don't think that's how they indicated things were going with the ending because spoiler[she removed herself from existence]. If she had turned herself into some kind of ruling queen or existing god, then I would probably be in agreement with that position but I get the impression that going forward (assuming the movie sequel) the story won't really be about Madoka.

As far as them leaving things open to speculation, I do generally like when writers do that, and they did do a decent amount of that with Madoka, but my real hesitation to calling it an A+ classic has more to do with the conventional nature of the ending and the fact that the subversion was pulled back, rather than a question of whether or not they left things open to speculation.

spoiler[Well, we don't really know to the extent Madoka influences and continues to rule the world/universe though. That's kind of a funny thing that many magical girl queens/princesses do too, in that they rule in a higher plane of existence where the only occasionally come into contact with the physical realm. Might be something similar with Madoka too, but it's all a speculation either way]

That said, while I think the positives of Madoka can be very apparent, it's definitely going to be a harder sell to some people compared to something that is much more straightforward like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, despite all the mysteries that show has as well. As great as I think Madoka is, it is definitely not going to be a definite sell for everyone for every type of viewer. Though perhaps it is an 'important' show as far as magical girl shows, if one is especially allergic to time travel or magical girl sin general, it'll be a hard sell anyway. Not to mention the purposely disjointed style of character study Gen Urobuchi tends to get into.

dtm42 wrote:
Best Japanese Dub Performance – Female
Emiri Katou should at least get an honourable mention here, her wok of Kyubey was pretty good. But I think that Chiwa Saito's depiction of Homura was an even better performance, the right mix of jaded veteran and traumatised little girl.

I'm a bit more partial towards Sayaka's performance considering it just felt a bit more nuanced at times. Homura kind of gets a bit hysterical in a few scenes, though it's still an amazing performance. Watashi-te-Honto-Baka is just a legendary line in itself.

And as much as I love Emiri Katou, I don't think Kyubey is really the kind of voice where shines the most. She seemed to go to some really fun places as far as voice acting goes in her roles in Lucky Star and Power Puff Girls Z. It was a nice experiment to make her into a bit of a villain or a soft-antagonist, but it's just not the same without her being a happy go lucky lead character. I kind of feel it was wasted that she was not one of the magical girl characters in Madoka. Though I guess it's a bit ironic that she'd be 'trolling' the magical girl characters, which is a role she should be playing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

spoiler[Well, we don't really know to the extent Madoka influences and continues to rule the world/universe though. That's kind of a funny thing that many magical girl queens/princesses do too, in that they rule in a higher plane of existence where the only occasionally come into contact with the physical realm. Might be something similar with Madoka too, but it's all a speculation either way]

While of course there is nothing canonically established on this subject, the fanon has come to some fairly consistent conclusions on the issue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I'm a bit more partial towards Sayaka's performance considering it just felt a bit more nuanced at times.

Actually, that is a very good point. Eri Kitamura's performance of Sayaka was pretty darn good. Kitamura helped give real depth to what is normally a side character, and her delivery of Sayaka's breakdown was really quite something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 31