• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What drew you towards anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the awesomeness that is The Land Before Time does negate some of the awful which followed (the first one, at least). Also, I need to watch Titan A.E. again sometime because I remember liking it when it came out but I wasn't as picky a viewer at the time.

Never really watched The Secret of NIMH enough to really have an opinion on it.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
A mixture of things really, I was a die hard animation fan from the get go. As my fellows "grew up" and started watching mostly live action stuff I still loved animation. I find it more expressive when someone animates they put the whole of what they want to convey into it. They don't have to think about real world filming/etc. This means that animation is naturally more fantastical than live action. And I have always been attracted to things like that. Dragons, Robots, Hero's and Giant spaceships can't get enough of them really. My favorite movie at that point was also animated. Anyone remember flight of dragons? Loved that movie. Omadans speach STILL gives me chills. And the original transformers movie, who could forget that.

This caused me to hold onto shows like transformers well into my teens then at about age 15/16 I discovered Anime and it was a match made in heaven a medium not averse to exploring sophisticated and adult material that was also animated. It confused me why all this stuff came from japan why weren't WE doing this stuff too? Of course then that lead to the discovery that Anime was apparently an "immature bunch of crap for kids" Which I knew from personal experience was a load of bullsh*t.

I also find eastern culture and language to be fascinating. Their buildings, language, values so similar yet so different from our own seemed a very exotic faraway place which was compounded by the fact that the Japanese language is possibly my very favorite in the whole world despite being unable to speak it (I keep meaning to learn but who has the time to follow a whim these days). Perhaps this is the fascination of an outsider who sees only the nice bits but that's how it is.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
I was listening to a nightcore song on youtube and it had a picture of Kallen & Lelouch from Code Geass so I decided to watch the anime. It's still the best anime ever in my opinion and that's how I got into the genre, through sheer coincidence Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Well, the other Disney animators didn't particularly seem to think so; they considered him a bit of a diva and a narcissist

Pffft sounds like jealousy to me. If he's a narcissist, he has every right to be, because his animation has a type of enchanting magic that other animators just don't have. That is my opinion.

Quote:
And that's frankly polite compared to what animation buffs think of him, ie., outdated "cutesiness" that would be parody if we thought he was kidding (and pedophilia if we thought he wasn't)

Um.........whut? o_o
And what "tongue" thing? Sticking your tongue out at people? Anime characters do it too. Constantly. What's wrong with it?

Quote:
(But let me guess: You're probably referring to 80's memories of "Secret of NIMH" and "Land Before Time", rather than "A Troll in Central Park", "Thumbelina" or "Titan AE"...)

Well duh? Rolling Eyes "Land" is slightly too childish for me now. "All Dogs Go To Heaven" and "NIMH" were his best films. And yes, I know "Dogs" was incredibly dark and bizarre-that's the exact reason I love it so f*cking much! Razz It pretty much illustrates everything Bluth is about. He wasn't afraid to be "real" back then. He didn't shelter children....but he still knew how to appeal to them.

Last edited by Chiibi on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Don Bluth
And what "tongue" thing? Sticking your tongue out at people?

Shocked
Uh, was thinking more along the lines of "Characters lolling their tongues out of their mouths Mickey Mouse-style, in an expression of happy adorableness Razz ", which not only made them look more mentally retarded than cute, but which he used in nearly every character in every movie? For twenty years?
(Which sort of summed up the animation-fan Bluth complaints, ie. that he became "the 70's-Disney movie that Time Forgot", and marginalized him to the point of not even being worth mentioning in a complaint about US animation in general?...Just to steer it back on topic.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
which not only made them look more mentally retarded

I never thought so. Have you been around actually retarded people? They're normally just very loud, say unintelligent things, and act very childishly.

Quote:
but which he used in nearly every character in every movie? For twenty years?

Disney constantly recycles as well. =.=

Quote:
(Which sort of summed up the animation-fan Bluth complaints, ie. that he became "the 70's-Disney movie that Time Forgot", and marginalized him to the point of not even being worth mentioning in a complaint about US animation in general?...Just to steer it back on topic.)

Why should he be mentioned in a complaint!? If anything, he totally saves US animation from being complete fail. If I have compliments to give on the topic of US animation history, he is the first guy I think of.

I suggest you drop it now. I've loved Bluth films since I was four, it's been a whole generation since then and I'm not going to stop loving them. In fact, I have an even bigger appreciation for them now! Nothing you say will kill my admiration for Don Bluth. So stop trying. Anime hyper
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The Secret of NIMH was won of my favorite movies as a teenager.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I read the book as a child, before I saw the movie; and I was disappointed in how they inserted a magical plot element in the movie that was not in the book!
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid, anime were really awesome cartoons. I loved cartoons. So therefore, I loved anime.

...Well. Toonami anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

I read the book as a child, before I saw the movie; and I was disappointed in how they inserted a magical plot element in the movie that was not in the book!

Ironically, I read the book AFTER the movie and was damn disappointed it originally had no enchanting things like that. BORING. There are just so many books about talking animals having "adventures" where nothing that exciting or supernatural happens. So it felt lame to me. Anime hyper The movie was filled with much more imagination.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi--
Interestingly enough, well more than a decade would pass before I would eventually discover that there actually IS a research facility called N.I.M.H.!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4