• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about older animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
There's another issue that is missed here: quality of the copies.
Older animations that had no DVD re-release, ripped from old VHS have horrible quality. "Snow on the screen", faded colours, spots and lines that shouldn't appear- even small amount of them appearing randomly during long-running show can destroy even good animation (eg. Oniisama E)
Sora N

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
I love older anime series (movies and OVA’s as well!) It’s a shame that a lot of the anime series of today are not made like they were in the 80’s and 90’s.

Some of my personal favorites are Fushigi Yuugi, Ranma ½, Sailor Moon, El Hazard - The Magnificent World, Vampire Princess Miyu, Earthian, Rurouni Kenshin, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Record of Lodoss War, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight and Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
If all that mattered were story and characters people would read books and no one would give two poops about anime.

For starters I did say what should matter MOST. Not that they;re the only things that matter. However for arguments sake I have to disagree as an avid book reader with that ya. Maybe it's just me but I often see anime as a way to bring those books to life. A way to tell the same quality story but simply in a different way. Again maybe I'm just alone in this but when I read a great story I often wish there was a movie, set of movies, or a series that brought that story to life. Brought those characters to life right in front of me. I see anime as just that. A way to take a fictional story or idea and bring it to life.
jaced

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
3x3 eyes is in my opinion the best old anime Smile
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
For starters I did say what should matter MOST. Not that they;re the only things that matter. However for arguments sake I have to disagree as an avid book reader with that ya. Maybe it's just me but I often see anime as a way to bring those books to life. A way to tell the same quality story but simply in a different way. Again maybe I'm just alone in this but when I read a great story I often wish there was a movie, set of movies, or a series that brought that story to life. Brought those characters to life right in front of me. I see anime as just that. A way to take a fictional story or idea and bring it to life.

Yeah, that may be so; I admit to doing the same thing (I too am a big reader). But my point is the same great story getting fleshed out with poor animation and ugly character designs would more piss you off than make you happy wouldn't it? That's an exaggeration, because old animation isn't really that bad. But being brought up in this age of big budgets and pretty, fluid animation, I find it really hard to get immersed in a series that is jagged, too many stills or weird, outlandish and/or retro character designs. For me, any escapism is about immersion; how good the series is for me is a direct reflection on how far away from my room I am taken.

Of course, story is very important for this. Plot holes and gaps in logic will drop me out of the atmosphere like plunging my head in a bucket of pus but it isn't the only thing. If the character's faces are rubbing me like sandpaper then it's going to be really hard for me to get into the story, even if it is a masterpiece of scriptwriting and elegant narrative. The same goes with seiyuu; if I hate a characters voice enough it will kill a show for me (prime reason I don't rate Kimi ni Todoke as others did; I _hated_ Sawako's voice acting and it completely took me out of the story because every word she spoke was like pulling a pube). The individual elements have to work together as a whole, and unfortunately, having not grown up watching the older series I can't look at it without comparing it in my mind, or cringing at how archaic it is compared to newer artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
It's hard to judge 'older' animation, becuase everyone has a different option of what counts as 'older'... for example, my fiance's sister told some friend what her favorite show was, and immedately got labeled a 'super-old-school fan'. The show? Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I don't think maybe people here would consider 1993 'super-old-school'- but there you go.

I consider older anything that doesn't seem to 'match' the current market... so far me, older is anything that predates 100% digital animation. This includes late 90s 'transitional anime', done partially with digital (Lost Universe, Soul Hunter), mid 90s pre-digital 'big-eyed anime' (Slayers, Dirty Pair Flash- this is when I got into anime), 80s/early 90s 'boxy hips anime' (Ronin Warriors, Dominion Tank police), 70s, and finally 60s 'looney tunes anime' (the original Astro Boy and Kimba).

I'm sure I've used some pretty insulting descriptors in the above list- this is just how I've mentally come to differentiate between the very different styles used over the years in anime, based on impressions from seeing these shows for the first time (You'll notice there's nothing listed for the 70s... oddly, I've never watched a 70s anime. I have no idea why.) I actually love older anime- even when I first got into anime, I was instantly attracted to the style of the 80s shows I rented. I feel like each era has its own charms to impart onto anime as a whole, so I'm never put off by age- and one of my greatest joys as anime fan is to backtrack and pick up older shows that sound interesting. I can't wait until I finally hit something from the 70s- I really want to plug that bizarre gap in my viewing.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy the older animation, many wonderful character designers came out in that period such as Haruhiko Mikimoto(SDF Macross), Kenichi Sonoda(Bubblegum Crisis), Toshihiro Hirano(Iczer-One), Mamoru Nagano(Five Star Stories), Yoshikazu Yasuhiko(Gundam), and the like. Many of them I like and their style of animation is quite beautiful as far as designing bishonen and bishojo characters. A good number of gorgeously animated characters came out during the cel-animation era.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I hear a lot of people gripe about the animation in older anime, and it's true the frame rate is sometimes a little more dodgy in them.

But older anime are directed less like moving graphic novels and more like animation. You'll generally find characters posing a little less in the 80s than they do now. In today's animation, there will be a lot more "cool" poses and camera angles, punctuated by bursts of really nice animation. Anime is lot more like moving manga today. But it's a stop and go thing.

In the 70s and 80s, the overall frame count may be a lot less, and the direction is a lot less flashy but the characters generally MOVE a bit more. They may do it with far less frames, but there aren't as many instances of a guy standing in one place statically for more than 30 seconds. That can happen quite frequently in anime from the 90s and up (although in the 90s, static poses was its worst).

Quote:
However, there are other visual aspects of old anime that makes watching them less enjoyable than modern anime. The biggest offender is coloration. Coloration in older anime tends to have one of the following problems:

1. The colors look faded and worn, even though the scene does not call for a faded and worn look: It's fine for an oppressive metropolis like Scrapyard to look faded; it's not fine for Lodoss Island to look the same.

2. The colors are too bright, resulting in a cheap cartoony look reminiscent of elementary school water markers. The principal offenders are the mid-90s fantasy adventure series.

Restoration does help matters.

You could make the same complaints for unrestored Hollywood films from the 50s or 60s. But I suppose many of today's viewers may not find older films all that appealing looking either. Very similar to the old "I can't stand to watch black and white movies" complaint, and I have no use for people like that.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I like older anime. While the animation quality could be considered primitive by modern standards, I suppose, it seems to me that many of the older shows tell better stories than more modern ones, and while CG animation can be amazing, I like the look of cell animation. It's also interesting to see where anime has been in the past, compared to where it is now. I like much of the new stuff, but I don't disregard older shows just because they're 'old'.
ponlork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
I've always been fascinated with the history and origins of things. Not necessarily with just anime but I like stuff such as comicbooks, videogames, or films from the past. I can appreciate older anime because I like putting myself in that generation's mentality or see how things were back then. It's kinda like how I'm able to play old SNES RPGs but not judge it by today's standards, rather I assess it from that era's technology and I might just marvel at how they were able to achieve certain effects on such a limited platform.

Another reason why I like watching older anime is because there's a lot of hidden gems out there that are virtually unknown outside of Japan. Some of my favorite anime from way back when include: Galaxy Express 999, Angel's Egg, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Nadia, Aim for the Ace, Cutey Honey, Ranma 1/2, Street Fighter II V, Game Center Arashi, Candy Candy, Slam Dunk, Akira, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Mama wa Shougaku Yonensei, Jungle Emperor, Legend of the Overfiend, Project A-Ko, Silent Mobius, and Maya the Bee just to name a few
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:

Another reason why I like watching older anime is because there's a lot of hidden gems out there that are virtually unknown outside of Japan.

every time i watch one of these "hidden gems" (btw i have seen a good few on your list) I wind up being unconvinced. Plots aren't any better or worse really the only differences I find is the animation quality, style and maybe the size of the giant robots. And because of that I am not watching any oldies because there is plenty of great anime with new animation style that I haven't seen
loka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
There were two I remember being licensed very recently - Birdy and Dirty Pair. What is my point? It's f***ing terrible. Absolute trash. Typical American comic book crap not enough for ya? Can't get enough of that great Wonder Woman and Dick Tracy storytelling? Then older anime should sate you.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
I know when I re-watch older stuff like original Gundam or Votoms it takes me a few episodes to re-adjust to the older style animation. I think most people and newer fans are just so use to the productions values of today's modern animation that when they go back to older animation from the 70's, 80's, and 90's it looks too "different" for lack of a better word. I really do think there's still a lot of great animation from older titles, I mean I would argue that the original Gundam movie trilogy looks pretty good considering the time and circumstances that was made. Votoms is another one I would also argue that considering the limited means and tight schedules they had to deal with that show for the early 80's still holds up animation wise. Not to mention if you look at some titles from that era with really high production values such as theatrical films and OVA's some of those look as good if not better then some of the stuff being produced today, (Castle of Cagliostro, Wings of Honnêamise, & Gunbuster to name a few).

I really think for the most part a lot of newer fans just don't give the older stuff enough of a chance as I really do believe you have to adjust yourself to the older style as like I said when your going from the latest and greatest to something made in the early 1980's there is an adjustment one has to make. Like I said for me at least I find the further you get into a show and the more you watch the older stuff the more you get use to it. Even if you can't get past some the animation there's still some great stories, I mean Space Battleship Yamato which is from the mid-70's does not look the greatest but there's still an awesome story there which still holds strong and true today.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I've recently taken an interest in some of the older stuff, and I have to say it's been pretty enjoyable. I loved SDF Macross(watched it all on Toonzaki for the irony of being on an uncut anime site run by 4 Kids). It certainly wasn't perfect by any means, but it was a good story and had the most excellently written love triangle I've seen in a while.

I'm just starting on Fist of the North Star, but I'm finding it to be pretty solid as well(not that I'd expect anything less from the first shonen series ever). If Toei's feeling a kind of "ressurection craze" with DBZ Kai, I wonder if they'd be willing to go back to Fist of The North Star...
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i'm a huge fan of anime from the 80s...not so much the 70s though.
but anime from the 80s were awesome.

the thing i liked most about 'em was their really catchy and soul stirring orchestral music, and their macho-istic type heros.

anime nowadays has more to do with high school girls and the gossip surrounding their world.
don't get me wrong, i simply adore that gossipy high school world,...but i'm too much of a shonen freak to have been exhausted by that "power up+spit up barrels of blood" recipe for storytelling just yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6