• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: KyoAni Outlines 'Free!' Swim Team Anime's Story, Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm not "Personally offended". But yes, I'd rather they make stuff closer to what I like... who wouldn't? If they can still make stuff as good as Chuunibyou, they still have potential. But just overall they aren't anywhere near as good as they were in the past when every single show they put out was an instant classic.

"Every Single Show" being "Haruhi" and "Key Adaptions"
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
@RyanSaotome So, if KyoAni is only a shell of what it was and nothing it currently does lives up to its fan's standards, then why are you and other otaku so personally offended and betrayed by their decision to make Free! You're just trying to justify their decision of catering to women by saying "wtv, they don't make good stuff anymore" and "it's not like I like their shows anyway". You're almost becoming a tsundere

I'm not "Personally offended". But yes, I'd rather they make stuff closer to what I like... who wouldn't? If they can still make stuff as good as Chuunibyou, they still have potential. But just overall they aren't anywhere near as good as they were in the past when every single show they put out was an instant classic.

Or you could just watch all the other shows constantly coming out that cater to your tastes (seriously, there are at least 4 per season), instead of whining for just the one that doesn't and that is made by a studio that "isn't all that good anymore"
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
And just to tie up what I was saying before about homophobia as a problem in Japan:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/polite-prejudice-lgbt-life-japan020412
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Of course, the fact anyone at all brought up the possibly of a gay character in a show with lots of guys despite the fact there isn't a single episode out yet should say something in itself.

The respectable part of TM was, as Fencedude mentioned, treating both Junior's and Midori's feelings as equal; both cared for Tamako for, perhaps, more than a friend. However, I honestly felt the series could have gone beyond "implying" her feelings. In ep. 10, when she was having difficulties with the Cultural Festival, would have been great time for her to talk with Tamako (or even her parents whom we never seen) about her feelings. Imagine her feelings at the beach ep. when Tamko said "I like you" (depends on sub) at Midori but, Junior is able to try to confess but Midori can't. How great it would've been to have a character "in the open"not played for laughs or fetishes but, as a well-written person!

...So, about these swimming dudes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I really would have enjoyed Tamako Market more if it focused on the love triangle as the main story.. I was really interested in seeing where that went, and then they just kinda forgot about that plotline. That had the potential to be a pretty unique story that I've never seen done before in a respectful way.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Of course, the fact anyone at all brought up the possibly of a gay character in a show with lots of guys despite the fact there isn't a single episode out yet should say something in itself.

The respectable part of TM was, as Fencedude mentioned, treating both Junior's and Midori's feelings as equal; both cared for Tamako for, perhaps, more than a friend. However, I honestly felt the series could have gone beyond "implying" her feelings. In ep. 10, when she was having difficulties with the Cultural Festival, would have been great time for her to talk with Tamako (or even her parents whom we never seen) about her feelings. Imagine her feelings at the beach ep. when Tamko said "I like you" (depends on sub) at Midori but, Junior is able to try to confess but Midori can't. How great it would've been to have a character "in the open"not played for laughs or fetishes but, as a well-written person!

...So, about these swimming dudes.

"A recent survey of 18 to 31-year-old gay people showed that 61% of them had come out to someone: 49% to friends, 23% to their mother and 15% to their father.

The same survey asked they’d had any life troubles because they are gay. 86% said yes. Of these, 67% said they’d felt isolation, 65% said their relationship with their friends had suffered and 35% said their relationship with their parents had suffered. When asked if they’d even considered suicide because they are gay, 36% said yes.

A large 88% said they had received negative information about being gay, 56% from the media, 55% from school (teachers and friends) and 22% from family."

-Taiga Ishikawa, Polite prejudice: LGBT life in Japan

Coming out's not that simple, dude. Anime smile
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
And just to tie up what I was saying before about homophobia as a problem in Japan:

Japan's stereotypically polite even when they hate people. Laughing Nice to know they at least don't murder and gay bash like we do
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Japan's stereotypically polite even when they hate people. Laughing Nice to know they at least don't murder and gay bash like we do

Maybe Japan needs a few more gay role models than a cursory politician or two? Question
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Sounds kinda generic, even by KyoAni standards.

I'll give it a chance but it still doesn't sound all that interesting.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice designs, great voices, and a story about friendship and swimming. I'm in.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
one thing thats indisputable is that they aren't the mega studio they once were. Pre Nichijou, in the industry they were viewed as the studio who could turn anything they touched to gold

Is that why people raged when Kyoani didn't adopt Little Busters, and JC Staff did?

Because, I'm pretty sure that was post-Nichijou, and people acted like KyoAni should be the only studio allowed to touch Little Busters.

As for the show itself, surprisingly, I missed "Makoto", and "Rei", but immediately thought of Sailor Moon when seeing the name "Haruka".
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good move for KyoAni, and I'll tell you why. KyoAni's business model over the last decade or so has been to milk as much money out of the moe-otaku crowd as humanly possible, using effective and well tested plot devices. However, this model is unsustainable. Other companies start to poach the moe-otaku and divert much needed capital, and skilled plot writing isn't as common as you'd think, plus repetitiveness loses potency over time. And then there are basic demographic facts--there are less people joining the moe-otaku group every year than those who are leaving. In order to continue to be successful, they need to expand into new markets. And the fujoshi market remains remarkably untapped. Following their previous templates, it should be simple to make a successful 'moeblob for the ladies', and open up a new revenue stream. If it is successful, then expect a half dozen of these fujoshi shows to follow, as competitors try to grab a piece of this new market. It's going to be a brave new world out there.

As for me, I will not be watching this. I have standards, I require at least boys in frilly skirts to turn me gay. But I hope it does succeed, because the fujoshi need some love.

And I wonder if the main complaints against this from the moe-otaku crowd stem from the unconscious realization that their chokehold on the industry is starting to falter.
Mini Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The character designs look like some anime I saw before but the part I don't get is how in the world are they standing on water
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I think this is a good move for KyoAni, and I'll tell you why. KyoAni's business model over the last decade or so has been to milk as much money out of the moe-otaku crowd as humanly possible, using effective and well tested plot devices. However, this model is unsustainable. Other companies start to poach the moe-otaku and divert much needed capital, and skilled plot writing isn't as common as you'd think, plus repetitiveness loses potency over time. And then there are basic demographic facts--there are less people joining the moe-otaku group every year than those who are leaving. In order to continue to be successful, they need to expand into new markets. And the fujoshi market remains remarkably untapped. Following their previous templates, it should be simple to make a successful 'moeblob for the ladies', and open up a new revenue stream. If it is successful, then expect a half dozen of these fujoshi shows to follow, as competitors try to grab a piece of this new market. It's going to be a brave new world out there.

As for me, I will not be watching this. I have standards, I require at least boys in frilly skirts to turn me gay. But I hope it does succeed, because the fujoshi need some love.

And I wonder if the main complaints against this from the moe-otaku crowd stem from the unconscious realization that their chokehold on the industry is starting to falter.

That would explain the violent reaction against a break in the chain of KyoAni's "cute girl shows".
Vylash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Is that why people raged when Kyoani didn't adopt Little Busters, and JC Staff did?

That was more anti JC Staff than pro Kyoani though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8