• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku Virtual Idol to Perform at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
with Vocaloids I have heard and purchased so many beautiful songs and compositions by artists who I would have never ever heard until I was introduced to the Vocaloids and they have been filling my ears with emotion and soul ever since. I have no less than 25 full CDs and counting of various forms of rock, jazz, easy listening, new age, techno, house, club, and pop.

Wait, did you mean you purchased the original artists' CDs?

Yes, and mp3 downloads, from iTunes and Amazon, hundreds of them, and I can bearly understand a word of it, but I don't care because they sound so good and some do have English lyrics mixed in as well. Wink

Oh Ok, so Miku introduced you to those artists who you wouldn't otherwise encounter. That's fine, though can be a different matter. Though I wonder how much is that from the artists and how much from Miku. Smile

(Anyways, gotta go out. Talk to ya more later, Mo'.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Oh Ok, so Miku introduced you to those artists who you wouldn't otherwise encounter. That's fine, though can be a different matter. Though I wonder how much is that from the artists and how much from Miku. Smile

(Anyways, gotta go out. Talk to ya more later, Mo'.)
A bit of both I believe. I will add that for every one liked, there were three I didn't, so though Miku, Luka, and Rin introduced me to these artists it was their individual talent using the vocaloids that made me decide to purchase their music.
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool but not enough for me to fly to LA. The flight, hotel, etc plus AX admission fee would cost over 500+ dollars.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
If you're open-minded and curious, invest a bit of your listening time to compare a Japanese female singer with Miku: I like to use Yuki (Isoya from Judy & Mary, not Kaai the other Vocaloid Wink).

First ear Yuki's original as a reference, then go for Miku's cover.

Not surprisingly Miku sing higher, but honestly do you think a lot of people not knowing the original would find Miku artificial or not conveying the spirit and soul of the song ?

I personally tricked many people by giving them to ear songs like Torinoko City by 40㍍P who like to tune Miku on her lower range; aside comments like "she's a very young singer", none guessed that it was a synthetic voice. I agree that this is maybe due to the gap with Japanese language, but I know that Japanese can also be tricked as seen in the Asahi Shinbun's documentary about Miku.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Was reading through the thread and then -gasp!- there were inaccuracies. As your local Vocaloid otaku, I feel it is my responsibility to clear things up!

Past wrote:
Exactly. Which is why none of the vocalists chosen for the character series Vocaloids were seasoned, professional singers. They used seiyuu instead to give a quality of imperfection to a digitalized media. That's part of the appeal and cuteness. Miku wouldn't be Miku if she sounded perfectly like a human's voice or was a flawless emulation yet clearly a computerized voice.

Crypton is the only company that uses seiyuu exclusively. Internet, Co. uses real singers. See Gakupo (voiced by Gackt), Gumi (voiced by Megumi Nakajima), and Lily (voiced by Yuri Masuda of m.o.v.e.).

Quote:
That's interesting. Can't wait for the real English Vocaloids. Wonder what the responses would be when it's the songs most of us could understand quite well.

There are English vocaloids. The first Vocaloid was English. They're usually quite incomprehensible, yes, but in the hands of the right user (like Matt9five, who recently closed his Youtube account, so no link) they can sound great. You've probably never heard of them since most Vocaloid fans only care about the Japanese ones. Since hardly anyone makes songs with the English ones, most Vocaloid fans are anime fans, etc.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though I do question a bit the judgment of some fans who see talent behind Miku's singing (just singing itself) and then turn around and dismiss the talent behind, say Lady Gaga, as talentless hacks (regardless whether they like the songs or not).
Wow, I wasn't aware that this kind of guys could exist, have you really meet people saying that ? Saying Miku has talent is as stupid has saying that a music instrument has talent Rolling Eyes The talent is the producer of the song who tune properly Miku, it's not has simple has just entering lyrics on a partition, and one need practice and fiddling with the software to attain perfection, like any music instrument, Vocaloid need practice and talent.
Now I agree that actual pop-stars have a performing talent that Miku lacks of course, but what we have on the stage with Miku is instead the talent of all the people animating her. What I love with Miku is that she's really the embodiment of the true artists and not some puppet performer needing his auto-tune crutches to steal the fame and the rewards from the true artists. The fan I'm aware of, they all know the name of the composers of the songs they like, unlike the followers of the flesh&blood pop-stars who think that the song was composed and created by the performer since "he/she is singing it".

Mohawk52 wrote:
Sharon Apple has become real.
I would have said Rei Toei but we're on the same wavelength here Wink

Mohawk52 wrote:
[...]with Vocaloids I have heard and purchased so many beautiful songs and compositions by artists who I would have never ever heard until I was introduced to the Vocaloids and they have been filling my ears with emotion and soul ever since.
So true, what most of commentators miss about Vocaloid is that after the Internet and the digitization of music, it will give the last blow to the entertainment industry awful model and enable indie music to bloom. Thanks to Vocaloid and the exposure a virtual star like Miku gives, many talented musicians are reaching an audience that the majors would have never given them. Do you realize that we have potentially the first world virtual pop-star and that she's not backed by a Major's studio but an obscure software company and a game studio ?

This is also why I'm very sad not to be able to attend this concert, because I know I am missing music history going on here.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Though I do question a bit the judgment of some fans who see talent behind Miku's singing (just singing itself) and then turn around and dismiss the talent behind, say Lady Gaga, as talentless hacks (regardless whether they like the songs or not). I mean, it's one thing to question the talent behind Lady Gaga then question the talent behind Miku's singing. But to do otherwise smacks of either a double standard or a questionable judgment of talent. Confused

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say here. Obviously Miku isn't a living person and has no talent herself, but I think even most die hard Miku fans realize this, even if they really get into her whole "character" etc.

But are you trying to say that those who like some Miku songs can't judge real life singers for some reason? Cause that's almost what it sounds like you're trying to say, at least to me.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Obviously Miku isn't a living person and has no talent herself, but I think even most die hard Miku fans realize this, even if they really get into her whole "character" etc.
It's the most die-hard Miku fans who appreciate her for her "virtualness" more than anyone else. She's a 3D girl with 2D appeal Laughing
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've not heard/seen very much of Hatsune Miku yet, and essentially none of the other vocaloids, but a question comes to my mind. Some of the performances have been pretty good, and others not so good. I know that each song has to be created and tuned by an artist using the vocaloid software, and the videos are created and choreographed using more software, but I'm wondering how long it takes to create a performance.

Obviously the more polished the performance, the better it's going to be, but how many hours does it actually take to create a polished, high quality performance, for the song and the video? It seems to me that a good performance could require a significant number of hours to create, but I know nothing about how the software works.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gurgeh wrote:
Topic Article wrote:
Update: SPJA indicated that the concert is "holographic" with "3D projection." However, the "39's Giving Day" concert in Japan did not use 3D projection.
Source please ? Or is the ANN editor again confusing the fact that the models are 3D ? There's nothing on the Mikufes page or AX announce saying that the projection technique will be different.
Anyway unless SEGA intend to work using Musion's Eyeliner I don't see the difference with Miku's Kanshasai last year.

I think ANN was going by what was said on the AX Live broadcast.

If I understood correctly, tech-wise the concert will be the same as what you see in the YouTube vids of the original concert, with maybe some subtle improvements. The original concert was a pair of converged uber-high end projectors beaming a 3D image to an invisible screen.

I don't know if that's considered "holographic", but it's pretty much the only way to do a concert like this without smoke and mirrors (literally). Still awesome.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Entertainment drives technology. As the demand for these performances ~ and Miku overall ~ increases, research and development will move forward to making the 3D realism more impressive.

The industry seems to want to get closer to what full-motion holography has only been previously imagined in sci-fi and the apparent popularity of Miku the virtual idol is likely to drive that. Even though we're still very far from it, the audience seems to be happy with what we've got.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
Gurgeh wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
[...]with Vocaloids I have heard and purchased so many beautiful songs and compositions by artists who I would have never ever heard until I was introduced to the Vocaloids and they have been filling my ears with emotion and soul ever since.
So true, what most of commentators miss about Vocaloid is that after the Internet and the digitization of music, it will give the last blow to the entertainment industry awful model and enable indie music to bloom. Thanks to Vocaloid and the exposure a virtual star like Miku gives, many talented musicians are reaching an audience that the majors would have never given them. Do you realize that we have potentially the first world virtual pop-star and that she's not backed by a Major's studio but an obscure software company and a game studio ?

This is also why I'm very sad not to be able to attend this concert, because I know I am missing music history going on here.
You do know you can buy the DVD? The same concert as what will be shown at AE? Unless they are saying they are going to do this concert "live" as in live band with the vocaloids projected on screen like they did at Zeppo Arena, in Tokyo. That would be worth the trip if so, but not if it was like the 2011 concert where they used a large rear projection box. That was a complete failure. If they are going Holographic, look out for strobing lasers which when viewed live is fine, but a bitch to record in any clarity. due to exposure incompatabilities between the giga high frequencies of the beams and any camera/recording equipment.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat May 14, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
So, is she gonna sign some autographs or what? I'd love to own one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So, is she gonna sign some autographs or what? I'd love to own one.
That would blow a lot of peoples minds to tiny strings of energy. Wink
gwdone

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I have one problem, and it's a big one...... I Wanna Go!!!!! Badly!!!!! Help me out ANN,, whip up a contest Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6