• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Movie News False

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BehindPastEyes wrote:
And then for some dumb reason, they're not even allowing PGSM to come over here. They would make a good amount of money off the live action series depending on the distributor. But obiously, they're not even thinking of that since Toei's firm round butt has the lips of 4Kids Entertainment permantly attached.

Personally, I think we won't have any Sailor Moon movies until Toei decides to smart and release the rights to ADV so they can give it a brand new shiny faithful English dub like Macross and Gatchaman, so Cartoon Network can show it outside Toonami and get more ratings.

ADV did have the rights to Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, but they dropped the license some months back. I heard it was because not enough people were buying the products and that they were losing money on the series, so there was no point in continuing, ya know? =/ Which I think really sucks, 'cause now the sets are out of print and I still haven't bought them. Crying or Very sad

Also, live action versions of anime haven't done so well in the States, as far as I can tell. PGSM is pretty goofy, even more so than Power Rangers. Don't hate me for saying this, 'cause I rather like both, but you have to admit, the shows are goofy. =/
biliano

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
aresgoddess wrote:
ADV did have the rights to Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, but they dropped the license some months back. I heard it was because not enough people were buying the products and that they were losing money on the series, so there was no point in continuing, ya know? =/ Which I think really sucks, 'cause now the sets are out of print and I still haven't bought them. Crying or Very sad

Actually, the license for Sailor Moon expired, and it was Toei (the creators/owners of the SM franchise) that decided against continuing the availability of the home video in the U.S. The sets were actually selling very well (according to what ADV said), but after April 1, 2004, ADV couldn't produce any more sets since Toei refused to renew their licensing agreement after the deadline (March 31, 2004). The same fate happened with Pioneer/Geneon and their SM license. (Geneon had Sailor Moon S, Sailor Moon Super S, and the three SM movies.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4