• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop: Japanese Manga Licenses to Revert to Owners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
California-based manga publisher Digital Manga revealed on Twitter this morning that it is looking into the possibility of rescuing Tokyopop titles.
Great news. Here's hoping either of DMP's BL imprints will grab Tokyopop's BLU titles-- in my case, I'm hoping specifically for Love Pistols, Voice or Noise (if another tankoubon ever comes out), Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi, and Vassalord (which, let's face it, may as well be a BLU title for all the subtext).

Also-- and I know this is wishful thinking-- it really would be a shame if some worthy (imo) completed titles didn't get rescued for future fans, stuff like Shout Out Loud!, Love Mode, Tea for Two (Koi Cha no Osahou), Wild Rock, and all of Fumi Yoshinaga's BLU releases for BL fans; and Tramps Like Us (a.k.a. "Why didn't they just call it Kimi wa Petto/You're my Pet?!") by Yayoi Ogawa for josei fans. I'd guess that the latter especially, at 14 volumes, will become difficult to find which is a shame because there seem to be so few longer josei titles that get completed runs here in the US.

Whatever happens, it's a relief at least to know that Tokyopop won't just be sitting on those licenses until they expire. So can I just give DMP my credit card right now? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Considering Tokyopop's vast collection of licenses, that's going to put a huge dent in the US manga market.

No kidding, hopefully their catalogue (or at least some of it) will be picked-up by other companies (particularily Nina my Love, Deadman Wonderland, Aria (which has switched publishers once already), Butterfly, and the multiple Kingdom Hearts series)

there is no "catalogue" any more, the rights get reverted to owners and each title has to be negotiated from the scratch, if any other company would want to have a license...

so no, there will be no "picking up", there is nothing to...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Things I hope are rescued?

Dot Hack// Link: Twilight Knights, The GU novels, Gundam: Ecole Du Ciel and some one grabbing onto the rest of the Astrays.

But that might be just me. I was really digging Ecole too.
isamunee

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I just found out about Tokyopop going under today because of ANN, so the upset is incredibly fresh to me. It would be fantastic if other publishers can negotiate the rights to continue titles that were unfinished.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Collectonian wrote:

The only TP manga I've been collecting lately are Rave Master (already taken by someone else anyway), Platinum Garden, Beyond the Beyond, Pearl Pink (all three of those TP already canceled awhile back), and of course D.N.Angel. Be nice to see them all rescued, but I suspect only D.N.Angel has much chance of it Sad

It's so awesome to see someone mention Platinum Garden. I love that series and would love to see it continued, along with Suppli, DN Angel, and Gakuen Alice. I don't know how great their chances are of being picked up though.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm confused. This means that they gave back the rights to series that they hadn't put out volumes and translations for right?

It would seem like a grave error not to sell this stuff digitally or use a print-on-demand service if they have completed volumes of a series just sitting around on a HDD somewhere but they'd rather give it back to the owners rather than utilize a close to cost-free revenue source until their contracts expire.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
It's so awesome to see someone mention Platinum Garden. I love that series and would love to see it continued, along with Suppli, DN Angel, and Gakuen Alice. I don't know how great their chances are of being picked up though.

Doubly sucks since TP released just half the series. Bleh. Alas, looking at my copies again, I don't even recognize the Japanese publisher's name, so not sure how likely it is any of the remaining manga publishers here will pick it up. It really is a great story too Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4