• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Stress Eating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The analyses of SAC on anibin.blogspot.com (at least TV airings and Blu-ray commercials; doesn't look like he tested the actual Blu-rays) say that SAC is indeed an upscale. I do remember seeing mention of SAC being animated in HD, perhaps it was done at around 540p or so?

But either way, the SAC DVDs are so bad and riddled with edge enhancement (with the US DVDs being even worse than the JP ones), that the Blu-rays will still be a significant upgrade even if they are upscales.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Do Hulu or Netflix or iTunes ever replace their streams later with the updated home video versions, or offer them to begin with?

Netflix normally only uses home video versions.

I haven't checked out their rare sub-only stream of AoT, but given when it was posted, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the home video version.

Neither Hulu or iTunes license the anime, so what is there would be up to the publisher that placed it on those services.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Something about that seems fishy. In a failing of the nomenclature the "1080" doesn't tell us the horizontal resolution so it may well be an upscale on a Full HD TV regardless and if it is 1080i content that has to be deinterlaced then that just makes it that much worse.

The discs are in 1080i60 because BDs do not support 1080p30 and SAC is apparently one of the shows that mixed 24fps and 30fps material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4