• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press' Light Novel Imprint Adds Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
BTW. Is it possible to order books directly from Yen Press if you are not living in USA? Or buying from Amazon etc. is the only way?

If you want to buy manga and you're not living in the US, then you should buy them from thebookdepository.com. Very cheap and free worldwide delivery as well.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
No. I want to order LN(Spice & Wolf). I got first 5 volumes as a present from a friend and bought two more via some online service(don't remember which exactly). But now I'm searching for a way to buy later volumes directly without so much additional expenses but without a risk by asking someone I don't know.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
You can't buy directly from YenPress. You do need to use places like RightStuf, Book Depository etc. Both RightStuf and Book Depository sell novels as well as manga.

The caveat with RightStuf is that you have to send them proof that you are the owner of the credit card you're using before they process the order that you make. It's a one time thing (unless you move location).

Most other places don't require this of you.

Personally, I use RightStuf and Book Depository for my manga and light novel purchases, when I'm not preordering. Another place you may try, which is one I use but unsure if many around here do, is In Stock Trades. They mostly sell American comic books trades (or graphic novels, if you're more familiar with that term), but they do have some novels and manga. If you decide to check out this site, ignore the "no shipping on orders over $50", as that only applies to US customers.

I use their sister site, DCBService, to pre-order my manga...but I was originally using their online service for my comic book purchases. Feel like I'm doing ads...Laughing
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

Then combine it with the fact like some said this a relatively new industry in the West, some LN series are well past 20 volumes, some are ongoing, and the extremely slow rate of 2 volumes a year maybe 3, what are the odds realistically that Index for example actually get translated in its entirety.

To be fair to Yen Press, they are one of the publishers who have never cancelled a title.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I hope they are OK with Master Card Very Happy
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
No. I want to order LN(Spice & Wolf). I got first 5 volumes as a present from a friend and bought two more via some online service(don't remember which exactly). But now I'm searching for a way to buy later volumes directly without so much additional expenses but without a risk by asking someone I don't know.

Yen Press is an imprint of Hachette Group, so if you want to buy as directly as possible go to either Hachette's UK or US site. Preferably UK site if you live in Europe.
Edit; Apparently Hachette doesn't sell directly either. But they do provide a list of retailers and store locations.

If you live in Europe there's also United Publications. As far as western releases of anime, manga, light novels, games(visual novels, dating sims) etc go, they carry everything. In addition they have an extensive selection of imported Japanese anime figures and other merch. Also you can set subscriptions for manga/light novels.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

Aside from when the bubble burst in the mid-00s with Tokyopop/Del Rey, I don't really believe there have been many outright cancellations. I can think of a few series, such as Reborn, Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, and Drops of God. Since then, no major publisher has really gone on to drop any current project.

Actually, there have still been plenty of dropped series since then. Many have been from VIZ. You can check out this list maintained on the forums here for a full list of dropped manga: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2821205

I don't believe Yen Press has dropped a single series yet, though. They've even used the new strategy of printing remaining volumes of poor-selling series at a very high price point, to make it break even when bought only by the hardcore collectors that just need to finish the series. See the 7th volume of Sunshine Sketch 6th volume of Tena on S-String.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I don't believe Yen Press has dropped a single series yet, though.

True dat. I think I will be ordering at least a few of these, Log Horizon for sure (been following the novel fan translation and eagerly awaiting the Fall sequel of the anime adaptation...).

If it was Viz or Del Rey, I'd have waited until the whole thing was out. I don't trust either of those two, especially with things like long-running light novel series...

Seven Seas is another that seems to have a good track record (as far I know at least), and I do have a fair number of subscriptions on their titles. Have they ever dropped anything(aside of Kodomo no Jikan)?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
BTW. Is it possible to order books directly from Yen Press if you are not living in USA? Or buying from Amazon etc. is the only way?

Just pointing out that, in the US at least, you're going to run into problems ordering YP books on Amazon.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
I don't believe Yen Press has dropped a single series yet, though.

True dat. I think I will be ordering at least a few of these, Log Horizon for sure (been following the novel fan translation and eagerly awaiting the Fall sequel of the anime adaptation...).

If it was Viz or Del Rey, I'd have waited until the whole thing was out. I don't trust either of those two, especially with things like long-running light novel series...

Seven Seas is another that seems to have a good track record (as far I know at least), and I do have a fair number of subscriptions on their titles. Have they ever dropped anything(aside of Kodomo no Jikan)?

Viz have been getting better. I think since the collapse of Tokyopop they make sure there is demand for titles now instead of just licensing everything and anything. Del Rey are gone now but Kodansha USA took up their most popular titles. Kodansha USA have had quite a good track record aside from Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei being on "hiatus".

Seven Seas have a couple of titles that aren't complete but I think they were mostly due to influences beyond their control. Blood Alone, for example, switched publishers in Japan and the new publishers were unwilling to license the series outside of Japan.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Seven Seas have a couple of titles that aren't complete but I think they were mostly due to influences beyond their control. Blood Alone, for example, switched publishers in Japan and the new publishers were unwilling to license the series outside of Japan.

Hayate x Blade is a SS title that stopped publishing after six single volumes, and two 3-volume omnibus (vol.1-6) releases. As far as I remember, that was due to poor sales.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:

Hayate x Blade is a SS title that stopped publishing after six single volumes, and two 3-volume omnibus (vol.1-6) releases. As far as I remember, that was due to poor sales.

According to Wikipedia and a post by user darkchibi07 on these forums the license was lost due to a switch in magasines.

The Last Uniform on the other hand seems to fit the bill as the third volume was never released by SS. It does have an active translation effort out there currently though.
EternalAbyss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for Log Horizon.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
The Last Uniform on the other hand seems to fit the bill as the third volume was never released by SS. It does have an active translation effort out there currently though.

Adam Arnold of Seven Seas has said that The Last Uniform was canceled due to poor sales.

The Strawberry Panic manga was canceled because it went on hiatus in Japan in 2007and apparently never started again.
Seven Seas did publish all three volumes of the Strawberry Panic light novel.

Also First Love Sisters was canceled after one volume, apparently due to licensing problems.

Generally I think that Seven Seas have done very well with their releases. At least well enough that I do trust them.

I do not know why light novels have gotten more popular, but I am glad that they have.
I hope that enough people buy the new titles to make them successful.
I hope that I can afford to buy what I want.

Last edited by Touma on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Definitely buying Log Horizon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5