• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sexual Assault Charges Dropped Against Voice Actor Illich Guardiola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what other people's experiences have been with Vic but mine was nothing but great. I met him at Salt Lake Comic con and he was really nice. He signed my Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Bluray and spent several minutes talking to me. He told me to come by anything during the con again. I went back and he remembered me and talked with me again for a few minutes and I didn't buy anything. Of I'm religious and I told him how I appreciated him being so open and honest about it so might have had something to do with it. I liked him before but I became a huge fan when he appeared and on the ANNCast a while back. Plus Star Trek Continues is awesome if you have never seen it I recommend it. It was great meeting him and I'm not disregarding the rumors but my experience once again was nothing but great. I feel sorry for others who had a bad time meeting him and I wish you had a better time but that doesn't mean he's like that with everyone that meets him. That's just me though.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
I don't know what other people's experiences have been with Vic but mine was nothing but great. I met him at Salt Lake Comic con and he was really nice. He signed my Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Bluray and spent several minutes talking to me. He told me to come by anything during the con again. I went back and he remembered me and talked with me again for a few minutes and I didn't buy anything. Of I'm religious and I told him how I appreciated him being so open and honest about it so might have had something to do with it. I liked him before but I became a huge fan when he appeared and on the ANNCast a while back. Plus Star Trek Continues is awesome if you have never seen it I recommend it. It was great meeting him and I'm not disregarding the rumors but my experience once again was nothing but great. I feel sorry for others who had a bad time meeting him and I wish you had a better time but that doesn't mean he's like that with everyone that meets him. That's just me though.

I don't know him, so I'm not claiming anything about the man. But people in general will have bad days so I don't doubt some may have had bad experiences with him, that doesn't mean he is a jerk all the time though.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
that doesn't mean he is a jerk all the time though.

Even if he happens to be a jerk 24x7, that does not mean he should be in jail. Being a jerk is not a felony just the same as being an all around nice guy does not mean you deserve to be free from jail no matter if he was found guilty in a court of law. Let's stop the strawman. this thread is about how the Texas authority tried and failed miserably to frame a man and how many people are projecting their own morals and hatred towards said voice actor.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
animefanworried wrote:
that doesn't mean he is a jerk all the time though.

Even if he happens to be a jerk 24x7, that does not mean he should be in jail.

I entirely agree, actually. I was just saying to the user above not to be pulled down by what he heard about the man when what he saw contradicts it, that people do have bad days and he shouldn't be labelled a jerk without concrete evidence. As you said, that's more about the man himself and has no bearing in a legal case. I was addressing this point separately from the legal one. If he was a complete jerk, that wouldn't damage my appreciation of his work as a voice actor even if it would damage my opinion of him personally.

I think this might also be a decent time to point out that whether or not some people find what he did "gross" or "creepy", that this too is irrelevant on whether or not he should be jailed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me very surprised that Texas did not send to jail a man for having legally married his wife (yeah, they had sex, that is what married couples do).

He only got married in the first place to avoid prosecution for statutory rape. It looks like the bastard succeeded.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me very surprised that Texas did not send to jail a man for having legally married his wife (yeah, they had sex, that is what married couples do).

He only got married in the first place to avoid prosecution for statutory rape. It looks like the bastard succeeded.

And you know this for a fact...how, exactly?

As I said before, situations like this are always going to be a little suspect, I get that. I agree with it. But there's not enough information to go on here, for all we know it actually was a consensual relationship all the way around. Yes, 16 years old is pretty young to be in any kind of relationship with someone that much older, but to flat out proclaim 16 year olds to be a' child'? I dunno about the rest of you, but when I was 16 I was pretty well grown up enough to make my own decisions about what was right or wrong, and certainly had no problem telling any adults off if I didn't agree with them or what they were doing.

Out of the information that we do have, the fact that the mom attended the wedding speaks volumes to me, not to mention the not cooperating with the police to get something done. If this was really as black and white as a lot of you are making it, why would she not, oh, I dunno, NOT allow them to get married? Why would she not work with the police to have him put away? But she didn't. Hell, nothing that we have to actually read here suggests that the family even lodged any complaints about him at all. So it very well could be a case of the police seeing something they didn't like and trying to crucify the 'offender'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Seems to me that sadly Japan and the USA are more alike than I thought. In 2011 Aya Hirano was tarnished by a sex scandal (yeah, she had sex outside marriage). Three years later Illich Guardiola has his reputation tarnished in another sex scandal (Yeah, he had sex inside his marriage and probably before, like many cynicals reading this), at the moment I do not think that a recording agency would record his voice for anything that is released at a national level. Maybe this will be forgotten in a couple of years and he can restart his career later on (like Hirano did).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
:/ I just believe that if you're an adult (especially at his age) you shouldn't think of a child in a sexual manor. She was even his student.

Yeah. And students, don't think of your teachers as sexual beings/available partners. That's the, uh, other half of the problem, yeah?

See, there was this recent report of one male student and two female teachers so that would be one third of the problem in that situation...

Right, they're children and have no responsibility for their actions.

Whether or not any of this has to do with this case is both unknown and irrelevant as marriage trumps statutory rape, in Texas. Wait, read that above sentence again; There is something screwy with this country, isn't there?

Ah, it's the mother who's the adult in all of this, separate from the student and the apparent man-child, and has all the say in this. As someone said earlier, "shotgun" calls it. {Look, she's 16 and she'd get over it but the mother defended her daughter's decision and husband rather than just getting rid of the guy; Clearly a candidate for "Parent of the Year, Ironic category"}

Is all of this creepy? Starting with the name "Illich", I'd certainly say yes. Also, it's kind of seems like Ef: a Tale of Melodies, where Illich played himself, I guess.

Cold it be love, could it be lust? Don't know and doesn't matter; She's 16, give her a week.
LonelySoul 8515

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Why is Vic being dragged into this? Really

Vic isn't going around getting married to a 16 year old girl in Vegas.

this topic isn't about voice actors being jerks.

this is about Illich committing a crime.

But since none of us here know the full details of the case.

None of us r cops or P.I's to pass judgement.

Teen Marriage license laws differ state to state

here's Nevada's
If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have one parent or legal guardian present. A notarized written permission is also acceptable. It must be written in English and needs to state the name, birth date, age of the minor child, along with the relationship of the person giving consent. The notary must note that the parent or guardian personally appeared before or was subscribed and sworn to. If you are under 16, marriage can be authorized only by court order when the request has been filed by either parent or legal guardian.

I had a lawyer look this up.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, reminded us of these too!

(At least her manager waited! Laughing )

And that new upcoming movie trailer:

• The Boy Next Door

The steamy trailer for the new thriller shows sugar mummy J-Lo playing a vulnerable and recently separated high school teacher who has a hot night of sex after being seduced by her neighbor’s nephew, Noah

In a twist that must be every high school student’s fantasy, J-Lo is also Noah’s teacher, and his best friend’s mom. However, J-Lo quickly becomes overcome with feelings guilt by her night of sexual pleasure and tries to cut things off. Turns out poor little Noah is in fact a frightening sociopath who doesn’t take kindly to being told no (ex: strewing sex photos all over her classroom to blackmail her that could cost her job and her son).

Best line from the trailer, available for your viewing pleasure below: “I love your mother’s cookies.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWWB11YulPc

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Next_Door_%28film%29]

OK maybe not; sounds like a hentai flick. Laughing

wonderwomanhero wrote:

Joji Takahashi wouldn't happen to be the brother of Yoko Takahashi would he? I know she has a brother, Go. But there's a source that says Rumiko Takahashi is her sister, which I doubt.

Joji "George" Takahashi is a rock 'n roll musician born in the 1950s, if that helps any.

vashfanatic wrote:

mangamuscle wrote:

Marital rape. It is a thing. Marriage =/= consent.

They were having sex before they got married.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Hmm..you know, if several other people all report that Vic is a jerk, I'd be more inclined to believe that.

Unfortunately for you, you're the only one reporting that Vic is a jerk so it does seem like you have some sort of personal beef with this particular voice actor. Then again, knowing who YOU are, I'm not surprised.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
While I'm fine speaking my mind about how I loved him in Cromartie High School and how I absolutely despised him in Penguindrum (I blame Sentai's shitty casting choices for that one) I'm not really sure whether I can judge the guy. Sure I'm not going to go out and do what he did but if it's 100% consensual then I don't even know what to say.

Actually, I can't help but feel bad for the guy even though he didn't get charged. On top of losing his job at the school we'll probably never hear his voice in an anime series ever again. Of course I fully understand the position they're in but it must suck to be in his position.

aquaofthewater wrote:
Well, that's iffy. And second that about Vic Mignogna. Geez...the stuff I've heard about him...
Oh boy, here we go.

First off, I should just say that even though I don't think he's a bad voice actor by any means, I don't really have that strong an opinion about Vic Mignogna as a voice actor. I liked him in FMA but most of the shows he's in just don't interest me at all. However, he is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

You can't believe everything you hear on the Internet. Especially when the sorts of people spreading rumours like that just happen to be the ones who don't think too highly of him either because of his constant presence, his outgoing personality or the fact that he's not a fan of yaoi. Instead of falling for the tired cliche of the guy who acts nice on the outside having a hidden 'dark side' you could just have a little bit of faith in other human beings you know?

Kadmos1 wrote:
Well, I think he did make up that claim that Clamp told him that Fai isn't gay.
He directly addressed this once. He has never actually spoken to Clamp about it.

However, he did mention that Colleen Clinkebeard talked with Clamp at a convention and interpreted from their conversation that there wasn't really anything like that going on. So if you really think it's worth taking it out on someone talk to Colleen about it.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
this thread is about how the Texas authority tried and failed miserably to frame a man and how many people are projecting their own morals and hatred towards said voice actor.
The traffic stop that started all this happened before they were married and gave police indication that they'd already had sex before that. Getting married afterwards doesn't absolve the earlier encounters, which is what they were trying to get him on. They weren't trying to frame him for anything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
And you know this for a fact...how, exactly?

Oh come on, use your brain.

He's a teacher and she was his student at school and they were seeing one another. At a traffic stop he admitted to a police officer that they were in a sexual relationship. They then hurried to Las Vegas to get married with only the girl's mother present. He was then later arrested when he returned to Texas.

Too many people are willing to give this man the benefit of the doubt when:

1): he was in a relationship with a sixteen-year-old girl - even if there had been no sex that's still dodgy in the first place

2): said girl was his student - a complete and utter no-no

3): he admitted to having sex with her, therefore that's statutory rape right there since in Texas the age of consent is seventeen

4): they had a rushed marriage in Vegas with only her mother present in an obvious effort to evade the law

We don't know why the mother gave her blessing, but it was weird and - at best - ill-advised.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Marital rape. It is a thing. Marriage =/= consent.

LIES! This sad episode was never about "sexual intercourse forced by a spouse on the other spouse, against that person's will". Get your facts straight.

Get your facts straight.

Quote:
The age of consent in Texas is 17 (Texas Penal Code Section 21.11). However, "...It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender Section 21.11 (b), Section 22.011 (e).

Section 21.12 further prohibits all sexual contact between an employee of a school (including educators) and a student enrolled at the primary or secondary school where said employee works (unless the student is the employee's spouse). No age is specified by the statute (thus, even if the student has reached consent age of 17, it is still a violation), and violations are a second degree felony.

In other words, this would be statutory rape - which is what he was being charged with - except they got married and are refusing to cooperate.

Waaaaay too many people on this thread are assuming that "they're married, therefore everything is OK" which is just... ugh. This happened when the charges were first brought up, so I'm not surprised. And I love that the only defense people seem to be able to mount, then and now, is "here are two or three cases of people winding up in happy marriages amidst the thousands of other cases where it's just abuse of power, YOU'RE ALL SO CYNICAL!!!"

I hope for the best for his wife/victim; may this turn out okay for her in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10