• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I was not nearly as impressed with Re-Kan! as Theron was. About the quickest way for a show to lose my interest is by demonstrating that it will have simplistic, uninteresting characters. Without these, it's virtually impossible for me to care much about how the plot will work out. Re-Kan does a pretty good job of quashing my interest ASAP, what with main character Hibiki being a sweet but simple-minded girl who is perfectly fine with her strange ability and doesn't seem to care what implications it might have. Just because she can do something bizarre doesn't give her a decent personality. As a result, I can't care what will happen to Hibiki, her friends, or any of the spirits she encounters. The impression of Re-Kan that I get from episode one is that it will be a matter of simple, dumb humor largely about girls going into freakout mode as Hibiki tells them what she senses. It feels as if it might be based on a 4-koma cartoon. But I didn't laugh once; these jokes are not worth the time it takes to listen to them. And I get no sense of any ongoing plot about anything noteworthy coming together. The silly ED sequence suggests goofiness rather than drama. In short, Re-Kan was neither funny nor interesting nor cool--and a show needs to have at least one of these qualities in order for me to watch it.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Seraph of the End: 3/5

It was okay. It felt really try hard and edgy to me and I wasn't particularly invested in what was happening, but it wasn't bad per se. I guess I'll give it a few episodes but for now at least I'm not too heavily interested. It was pretty at least, I love how the backgrounds are drawn, that stuck out to me a lot.

Fate/ Stay Night - 4.5/5

It's more ufotable fate, so it was always going to be good, I wish that the season's first great show wasn't a sequel but hey, I'll take this over nothing.[/b]

Last edited by Random 21 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I wonder why Zac says in his review of Seraph that it's never stated how many time passed beetween the virus outbreak and the part where the children are shown living as vampire livestock when it clearly says it's been 4 years
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
Via_01 wrote:
Zac wrote:
That they were orgasms didn't bother me; it just wasn't funny, save the one time. Someone eating food and then going OOHHHH GOOODDDDDDDDDDD for 2 minutes is barely funny once and it definitely isn't funny a hundred times or however many times they lean on it for comedy in the manga.

If you think like that, you're going to miss the [manga spoilers]:spoiler["girl dressed like godzilla fighting Ultraman"-gasm.] They get pretty imaginative later on.

And the 5 men dressed like magic girls, for example.
They get really funny and, like I said in my post, all these people will miss it because they are taking them seriously =X

Sorry, but I'm 100% in agreement with Zac on this one.

Besides, it's not like I would have followed a series like this (and for reasons that I stated in my preview), so it's not like I am missing out on anything that I wouldn't be missing anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That they were orgasms didn't bother me; it just wasn't funny, save the one time. Someone eating food and then going OOHHHH GOOODDDDDDDDDDD for 2 minutes is barely funny once and it definitely isn't funny a hundred times or however many times they lean on it for comedy in the manga.

Reminds me of those herbal essence commercials. The first one was sort of funny. The second one made me smirk. The rest were tired and boring.

I'm honestly behind on what it's even coming out this season as I've been too busy to keep up. Going by the reviews and synopsis for the shows listed though Re-kan is the only one that grabs my attention so far. The premise sounds like it could be a nice fun little show. Nothing great or world shattering, but a nice quaint little show to help you relax and have a chuckle or two with. After watching the first episode I have to agree that the show seems a bit confused as to what it wants to be. Does it want to primarily be a slice of life ghost story show or a ghost story comedy show basically. Either one would be fine with me but it needs to pick which route it's going to take and just go with it. Otherwise the show I think will become too inconsistent and hard to stay interested in for me. I'll watch a few more episodes and see where it goes.

Edit: I should mention I am giving Food Wars a shot but so far it is not grabbing my attention like I hoped it would.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
I wonder why Zac says in his review of Seraph that it's never stated how many time passed beetween the virus outbreak and the part where the children are shown living as vampire livestock when it clearly says it's been 4 years

Oh. Missed that. I'll change the review.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Reminds me of those herbal essence commercials. The first one was sort of funny. The second one made me smirk. The rest were tired and boring.

But that's the thing we are talking about. Even in the discussions about the anime, it's all about the foodgasms. It's like people are clutching as hard as they can onto the bad part of the foodgasms as to sabotage any chance they might enjoy the cooking anime.
The silly fanservice is clearly not the focus of the anime, but someone reading the comments and discussions would think it is, which saddenss me as a fan of the manga. They are a small extra that you might like or just can't be bothered with them, and they are being made into the focus of the anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:

But that's the thing we are talking about. Even in the discussions about the anime, it's all about the foodgasms. It's like people are clutching as hard as they can onto the bad part of the foodgasms as to sabotage any chance they might enjoy the cooking anime.

The silly fanservice is clearly not the focus of the anime, but someone reading the comments and discussions would think it is, which saddenss me as a fan of the manga. They are a small extra that you might like or just can't be bothered with them, and they are being made into the focus of the anime.

The problem is so far the silly fanservice and foodgasms did take center stage in this episode. They were so over the top and so abundant they overshadowed the good merits of the show. It's not a matter of people clutching to them to sabotage what enjoyment they might get in my opinion. Rather, people reacting to what they are being given. Again once again, what we've been given is mostly that silly fanservice/foodgasm shtick so far. The show is doing the job of making them the focus all on its own so far.

To me a first episode is a critical one. It can either make or break whether a fan watches that show. Whether or not it catches your attention or not. And going so ridiculously over the top and beating the foodgasm shtick over your head relentlessly in episode 1 like the show did does not help ensure people come back. Unless that sort of slapstick is their cup of tea. Now I was a cook for 9 years as my job. I want to like this show. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes in the hopes it does find better balance and tones down the foodgasm bits to a more acceptable and not ridiculous level. However, I can't begrudge others for being put off after that episode.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
No discussion from Nick of SNAFU changing studios and overhauling the character designs? I liked the exaggerations of the first season (eg, Hachiman's dead-fish eyes) over the more toned-down approach taken here. Yui seeems to have lost a cup size this season… not something I'd ordinarily complain about, but in S1, it was one of the many ways the show visually reminded us of how different she is from Yukino. Still, the voices all sounded familiar, and that helps get back into SNAFU's groove.

Also, is Hachiman BL-crushing on Totsuka? Is this a new thing, or did S1 just not play it up?

Last edited by invalidname on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode of Seraph of the End; I gave it a 4.5 rating because I found the premise appealing, the atmosphere was ominous and the art and animation remind me of high quality visuals from 90s sci-fi shows.

Seraph is the new show to follow, and Funimation picked a winner.

invalidname wrote:
Also, is Hachiman BL-crushing on Totsuka? Is this a new thing, or did S1 just not play it up?

It was also on season 1.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
After comparing images from various first season episodes of Snafu to this season's premiere, I think I prefer the new studio - provided they keep up the level of quality found in this week's installment.
Zegba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else think Seraph's music mixing was really weird? The music tended to overpower any scene. I thought the scene where they see the vampire city might have worked if they turned it down a bit. They'd still have the atrocious dialogue, but it would be nice.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Is the new season of Lupin even happening?

Because, I haven't seen anything.
za21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

The problem is so far the silly fanservice and foodgasms did take center stage in this episode.

Again once again, what we've been given is mostly that silly fanservice/foodgasm shtick so far. The show is doing the job of making them the focus all on its own so far.

And going so ridiculously over the top and beating the foodgasm shtick over your head relentlessly in episode 1 like the show did does not help ensure people come back.

There was only like 3 scenes involving foodgasms. Combined, it was about a minute to a minute and a half at most. That leaves at least 21 minutes of the rest of the show. It's like you ignored everything else. So no, it did not take center stage or became the focus nor was it all we were given. There is plenty of other aspects of the show to enjoy such as the cooking itself.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
za21 wrote:

There was only like 3 scenes involving foodgasms. Combined, it was about a minute to a minute and a half at most. That leaves at least 21 minutes of the rest of the show. It's like you ignored everything else. So no, it did not take center stage or became the focus nor was it all we were given. There is plenty of other aspects of the show to enjoy such as the cooking itself.

Well, they're the only thing that stood out at all in an otherwise completely rote show full of standard shonen cliches, so that's why people are focusing on it.

You're a big fan of the manga and want people to give it a chance, we get it. Vote for it in the upcoming Daily Streaming poll and maybe it'll get covered by someone week to week who's familiar with the manga and will see the show through to whatever quality you're insisting it has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 43