• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akiba Maid War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philville

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Also, P.A. Works strikes again with sudden Spanish - but because we're praising yet again the ability of AMW for a voice cast picking, now we got three random funny Venezuelan dudes voiced by... three actual random Venezuelan that were hired to do a few lines with the help of the embassy. The dedication level is still at 100%.

Complete agreement. First a Russian voice actress playing a Russian character, and now Venezuelan men playing Venezuelan men. This absurd comedy has better foreign voice acting than most realistic or pseudo-historical tales.

I love that neither the Russian VA nor the Venezuelans found the portrayal of the characters offensive, either (which I'm assuming based on the fact that they agreed to it and we haven't heard of any backlash). It's good that there's still plenty of room for absurd humor peppered with real-life cultural references (cultural differences are, after all, often a source of humor). As someone with Latin American family I found it funny that there was a line about all Venezuelan people supposedly loving baseball.

Aerdra wrote:
Speaking of realistic...
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ironically, I think it came the closest I've ever seen to my longed for girls' baseball that's taken seriously.

The writers actually understand baseball. Back in episode 6, we could hear (faintly) baseball play-by-play commentary in the ramen shop. In this episode, we see sacrifice bunt, catcher's interference, collision at the plate, pick-off at first base, and a left-handed batter/pitcher. It feels like an actual game, unlike hitting 11 home runs in a row or something (though I still love Okachimachi-chan being the silent slugger).

As someone who doesn't know much about baseball, I find this really interesting. It was definitely clear to me while watching the episode that there was a lot of attention to detail, which is something you really need to offset the absurdity of the yakuza-murder-antics. To put it differently, you need to have a kind of hyper-realism for the over-the-top stuff to really work.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised and actually kinda sad that they killed off Otaku-boy. Can't say I liked him exactly, but he added something to the mix that I'll miss.

What I most want to know right now is who owns CreatureLand? The maids have their hierarchy, but Otaku-boy was a liaison between that and somebody. I wonder how that somebody is going to feel about the maids taking it upon themselves to off their messenger/collection agent. At least I had assumed he worked for the owners, which was why I wondered why he was so (justifiably, as it turns out) terrified of Nagi.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 am Reply with quote
The pig-maids didn't get the memo and won the Takeshi's Castle challenge.

I wonder what fallout is now going to ensue, but it's bound to be bloody and moe, moe, kyun.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm surprised and actually kinda sad that they killed off Otaku-boy. Can't say I liked him exactly, but he added something to the mix that I'll miss.

What I most want to know right now is who owns CreatureLand? The maids have their hierarchy, but Otaku-boy was a liaison between that and somebody. I wonder how that somebody is going to feel about the maids taking it upon themselves to off their messenger/collection agent. At least I had assumed he worked for the owners, which was why I wondered why he was so (justifiably, as it turns out) terrified of Nagi.

I'd always figured it was "owned" by itself, which is to say, primarily by Nagi and maybe some of her lieutenants in a partnership/"family" business structure. Otaku boy was just Nagi's messenger. Though I could easily have missed something important there.

It'd be hilarious if CreatureLand had a public listing on the Tokyo stock exchange, and regular shareholders. That would somehow fit with the universe.
Philville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'd always figured it was "owned" by itself, which is to say, primarily by Nagi and maybe some of her lieutenants in a partnership/"family" business structure. Otaku boy was just Nagi's messenger. Though I could easily have missed something important there.

It'd be hilarious if CreatureLand had a public listing on the Tokyo stock exchange, and regular shareholders. That would somehow fit with the universe.

Same here. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Me too. I expected him to have some sort of epic combat moment somewhere down the line, so that sendoff felt a little anticlimactic. Also, we never found out what's inside that backpack, aside from the poster scrolls.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:38 am Reply with quote
Eppisode 10

There are times when you have to wonder: "Did the reviewer watch the coda after the end credits?" Panda-kun knew the truth of Sueharo's intentions but also that Panda-kun didn't care. It wasn't about Ranko, it was never about her. Panda saw the ring and left that part out of her own flashback.

That Panda is a beast. Ranko shot the wrong Panda head. And seeing how Ranko learned Panda works for the ones trying to kill them, she may have a second shot.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Eppisode 10

There are times when you have to wonder: "Did the reviewer watch the coda after the end credits?" Panda-kun knew the truth of Sueharo's intentions but also that Panda-kun didn't care. It wasn't about Ranko, it was never about her. Panda saw the ring and left that part out of her own flashback.

That Panda is a beast. Ranko shot the wrong Panda head. And seeing how Ranko learned Panda works for the ones trying to kill them, she may have a second shot.

We have no reason to think Panda knew Sueharo's intention until the ring fell out, at which point it was too late. After that, Panda didn't tell Ranko about ring because she was afraid Ranko'd kill her for real this time, because she thought it was better for Ranko to not know the truth, or both.
Also Panda doesn't work for those trying to kill them, she worked once for Nagi 15 years ago, and is still hiding from her.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
So many reveals and twists. So much to think about.

In hindsight: In the opening scene in episode one, I thought the driver (who we later learn is Nagi) was very slow to react to her mistress being shot. Now it makes sense.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Eppisode 10

We have no reason to think Panda knew Sueharo's intention until the ring fell out, at which point it was too late. After that, Panda didn't tell Ranko about ring because she was afraid Ranko'd kill her for real this time, because she thought it was better for Ranko to not know the truth, or both.
Also Panda doesn't work for those trying to kill them, she worked once for Nagi 15 years ago, and is still hiding from her.

I think I ran into some pronoun trouble. Nagi gave the order for Sueharo to kill Ranko, not an order for Panda to kill Sueharo.... I think; That one's a little too coincidental for my tastes. I can say Panda's trying to get Ranko and Nagi to go after each other in the classic Yojimbo way.... yet if that was the case, there'd be no reason for Panda to hold back what Sueharo's true intention was.

Panda has to walk a fine line: Get Ranko mad enough to kill indiscriminately but she has to make sure she's not one of Ranko's targets. Or else she really is still working for Nagi. I still think this is the most likely scenario seeing how even after killing Sueharo, Panda still doesn't see herself as one of the Pigsty.

Regardless, great episode.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:56 am Reply with quote
I think that's clear that Panda didn't believe Suehiro's intentions, no matter what Ranko said or did. She is too much into Akiba darkness to believe the guy who tried to kill her had changed, so she killed him, believing she's saving Ranko (nobody knows Panda's real identity). Suehiro takes his time to tell everything to Panda, who, I think, told it then to Ranko after realizing she made a mistake (even if she didn't see the ring - which probably thought it was a chord).

In any case, in next episodes Akiba is probably to burst into an open war with Ranko at front. She had lost (almost) everyone she loved. Oh, and better love story than some romance mangas out there.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 was great, but I liked it more before seeing the post-credits scene. I felt like the ambiguity around Suehiro's true intentions added some depth to the narrative. Taking that all away at the end was a boring decision.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, damn - when you thought the confrontation with Creatureland and Nagi will sure end bloody, but Oinky-Doink still get through that victorious, the script writers pulled the most gutsy move that I both love and hate equally - killing cold the very soul of our main cast, and that happened before the actual end while the resolution is still not even close, so we sure can expect even more deaths at this point. And that also raise the question how will Nagomi snaps, considering they now left in her hands dying while bleeding without any help not just one, but two persons who genuinely cared about her the most through her whole life in cruel streets of Akiba.

And yeah, it's really right to call that we will most likely never see anything like AMW even if AMW get continuation somehow, on which I can have doubts - cause honestly, we all know deep inside that without Ranko around it will just not be the same no matter what. Rest in peace, our sweet 36-years old maid, you were the best and truly deserved happiness which you rarely get in your life.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
This is without a doubt the underrated anime of the season.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Ranko's assassin appeared to be wearing the axolotl headgear, so my first thought is that this is a random act of vengeance from a former Maidalien. Time will tell...
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't freeze frame it but my first thought was it was the girl who was the right hand of the maid alien hardliner, she went into exile after her death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7