• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Frontier.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
@BrothersElric
its 36 episodes

slight original Macross spoiler that pertains to possibilities for frontier:
spoiler[I wonder if we'll finally see the Supervision army that left the original macross]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Plus not to long ago. While I didn't like it nearly as much as DYRL, it was still a good watch. Now on to Zero. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Just finished watching Plus not to long ago. While I didn't like it nearly as much as DYRL, it was still a good watch. Now on to Zero. Smile

Well good for you then, because I just found out that the version I downloaded was a friggin RAW!!! Evil or Very Mad So I'm currently re-downloading it along with Zero. Hopefully they won't take too long before I can watch them.

On a much brighter note, just finished watching DYRL myself. You're right about it JG, it truly is a very wonderful movie. Went and rated it Masterpiece, but if the series is better which it undoubtedly is (and if it is better, that really has me excited to watch it myself! Very Happy ) it might drop down to Excellent with the original being Masterpiece like I usually do in this case, but we'll see.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Well good for you then, because I just found out that the version I downloaded was a friggin RAW!!! Evil or Very Mad So I'm currently re-downloading it along with Zero. Hopefully they won't take too long before I can watch them.

Yikes! Well, I hope you can get to them as soon as you can. Both are worth watching. Zero especially (more on that in a second).

BrothersElric wrote:
On a much brighter note, just finished watching DYRL myself. You're right about it JG, it truly is a very wonderful movie. Went and rated it Masterpiece, but if the series is better which it undoubtedly is (and if it is better, that really has me excited to watch it myself! Very Happy ) it might drop down to Excellent with the original being Masterpiece like I usually do in this case, but we'll see.

I rated DYRL "Masterpiece" also. Of course, if I like the original series more, I'll probably end dropping DYRL's rating down a peg in the long run as well. We'll have to see though. Despite being a condensed retelling of the original series, the movie really clicked with me.

Speaking of masterpieces: I just finished Zero and rated "Masterpiece." The ending just about had me in tears. The feelings I had reminded me a lot of how I felt after I finished RahXephon. I loved that series, so it's no surprise that I loved Zero as well. Not to mention Zero's CG battle sequences are the epitome of the word "spectacular."

EDIT: Couldn't resist making this after watching episode 3 of Zero. Laughing Laughing Man, I laughed so hard when that happened.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Facade19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Ok better late than never.
Are you kidding me? Shocked
If Macross Plus first episode has so much action, so much quality and so much promise then what the heck is the rest of the season going to be like. The visuals are just absolutely stunning. "I just want more" is my reaction. Dang it give me more.
Laughing
I am totally new to the Macross world, so I am going to take the advise that has been suggested here and attempt to watch some of the older shows, or at least read up on the Macross world. Wow, this seems to be a long and very auspicious journey!!! Razz
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Macross Frontier OST 1 dated!

www.gabrielarobin.com wrote:
The Macross Frontier OST 1 entitled “Frontier NOW” is now available for preorders through Amazon Japan.

Details:
Release Date: June 4, 2008
Price: Y3045 (approx. 30.52 USD)

Lanca Lee instead of Ranka Lee?

By the way, as an aside, Ranka Lee’s name is officially romanized as “Lanca Lee”. This information comes from Tokyo Anime Fair t-shirts with English text on them.

And the cover for the Diamond Crevasse/Don’t Be Late CD Single

Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Macross Frontier OST 1 dated!

The Macross Frontier OST 1 entitled “Frontier NOW” is now available for preorders through Amazon Japan.

Details:
Release Date: June 4, 2008
Price: Y3045 (approx. 30.52 USD)

Aww .... we have to wait that long for the OST? Shoot.

Westlo wrote:

I figured it would be spelled with an "L" when romanized, but to replace the "K" with a "C" makes it, well .... awkward.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Guh... I still think "Ranka" sounds better. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Macross is always worth watching just for the production value.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Despite being a condensed retelling of the original series, the movie really clicked with me.

Yeah, it definitely did that for me as well. I'm mostly concerned about ratting too many things masterpiece (and with your discussion about Zero it looks like I may very well be ratting yet another one at that very soon), but for as good as that movie was I definitely wouldn't be against ratting both the same. I guess it just mostly depends on what I think of the series.

Definitley looking forward to Zero now, that's for sure! I'll have to get through Plus first, but that'll be no problem as I'm sure it's awesome as well. Wink

Quote:
EDIT: Couldn't resist making this after watching episode 3 of Zero. Laughing Laughing Man, I laughed so hard when that happened.

Ah, so that must be what you were talking about via PM! Shocked Definitely very funny though! Laughing Probably even moreso once I see the series and know more about it. Despite which though, somehow I'm going to have to be as careful as I can with that......

AG wrote:
Westlo wrote:

True, but who says we can't still call her Ranka nonetheless? Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Despite being a condensed retelling of the original series, the movie really clicked with me.

Yeah, it definitely did that for me as well. I'm mostly concerned about ratting too many things masterpiece (and with your discussion about Zero it looks like I may very well be ratting yet another one at that very soon), but for as good as that movie was I definitely wouldn't be against ratting both the same. I guess it just mostly depends on what I think of the series.

I honestly have no problem rating things "Masterpiece." Just shows how much I love anime, I guess. Anime smile + sweatdrop

BrothersElric wrote:
Definitley looking forward to Zero now, that's for sure! I'll have to get through Plus first, but that'll be no problem as I'm sure it's awesome as well. Wink

I personally rated Plus "Very Good." It's not nearly as good as DYRL or Zero in my opinion, but still worthwhile for Macross fans. The action sequences are great, although the series isn't as much about the action as it is about the characters themselves. Once you watch it, you'll see what I mean. EDIT: Zero and DYRL are like that as well, just executed much better.

BrothersElric wrote:
Quote:

Ah, so that must be what you were talking about via PM! Shocked Definitely very funny though! Laughing Probably even moreso once I see the series and know more about it. Despite which though, somehow I'm going to have to be as careful as I can with that......

Yup, that's certainly what I was talking about. Very Happy I instantly thought of the Twix commercials when that happened. It really felt like one of those "moments," if you know what I mean. It is certainly funnier when you see the entire scene though.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I honestly have no problem rating things "Masterpiece." Just shows how much I love anime, I guess. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Well neither do I really. I mean, I wouldn't go as far as to only have 4 Masterpieces amongst 200 watched anime or anything like that, but it is a strong enough word for me that I'd prefer to not have quite as many as my Excellents, Very Goods, or Goods anyways.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Well neither do I really. I mean, I wouldn't go as far as to only have 4 Masterpieces amongst 200 watched anime or anything like that, but it is a strong enough word for me that I'd prefer to not have quite as many as my Excellents, Very Goods, or Goods anyways.

Ah, so I guess we're pretty much the same then in that respect then. While series rated "Masterpiece" make up a decent amount of my list; my "Excellent, Very Goods, and Goods" combined take up a much larger portion. And I'd like very much for it to stay that way.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Heh, your discussion makes me want to go back and review my ratings for the shows I've seen. I think that I have WAY too many masterpieces in my lists. Confused

About the Diamond Crevasse/Don't Be Late cover: AAAAAH! SHERYL-SAMA!!

Ahem. Is its release date confirmed yet? Triangler is supposed to be released on April 23 (the big anisong dump for the month), so are they going to release the two singles on the same day?

BrothersElric wrote:
AG wrote:
Westlo wrote:

True, but who says we can't still call her Ranka nonetheless? Wink

So we just keep on calling her Ranka? Great! Anime hyper
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
1/5 days to go (I'm 2 hours ahead of Japan) until Frontier episode 1 airs! In addition to spotting the differences between the "Driector'S Cut" version and what airs Thursday night I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sheryl ED Theme "Diamond Crevasse", which to my knowledge hasn't had a single second leaked yet.

Btw to all the people who recently hopping on the bandwagon, if you hear the term Itano circus here's what it means.

wiki wrote:
Itano is best known among anime fans for a style of action scene he developed, usually nicknamed by fans "Itano circus", or "Macross missile massacre"; it refers to a highly stylized and acrobatic method of depicting aerial combat and dogfights in many anime, particularly the Macross series.

The Itano Circus is defined by the detailed, fluid shading of the mecha, the close-range acrobatic moves the duelling fighters make in combat, as well as twisting contrails left by fighters and missiles. It is also commonly used in specific reference to an attack where a mecha or spaceship launches a large swarm of missiles with meticulously animated spiraling smoke trails and erratic trajectories.

Jedi General wrote:
I personally rated Plus "Very Good." It's not nearly as good as DYRL or Zero in my opinion, but still worthwhile for Macross fans. The action sequences are great, although the series isn't as much about the action as it is about the characters themselves. Once you watch it, you'll see what I mean. EDIT: Zero and DYRL are like that as well, just executed much better.

General consensus seems to be that Plus (Shinichiro Watanabe is an awesome director) is superior to Zero and I agree, Kawamori got to preachy in Zero for my liking, reminded me of Arjuna at times. I'm glad that Aquarion was a step in the right direction from him being too preachy and it looks like in Frontier he just wants to tell a damn good story just like the original instead of getting on a soap box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 49