• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reveals Clannad Anime License

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I for one hope this is true for 2 reasons:
1) I love the Clannad series and want it on my shelf (though I must say, I had to turn off the movie half way through because it was seriously hurting my love for the series Mad )
and 2) it will show that ADV is not doomed. Like them or not, I'm sure you can agree that the last thing that the R1 anime industry needs is for another company to go under.

**crosses fingers in hopes that this is true**

Well you can uncross your fingers. I was at the panel so I can confirm that ADV has Clannad. And from the way Matt Greenfield announced it as a series, I would assume that means multiple episodes at the very least. Otherwise he would have said they had acuired a new movie.

I for one was very excited by the announcement.
1. Because Sogencon has never had a major announcment like this happen at it.
2. Clannad was on my "to download list", and now I can just skip straight to buying it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
darcerin: Full Moon is Viz's problem.

Hed: I just like how they call Clannad niche, but then praise FUNi for re-releasing Rozen Maiden. Rolling Eyes
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
This is pretty unpleasant news.

Not because of dubbing quality or anything silly like that, but more because I don't like seeing titles I want to buy ending up in the hands of a company that I don't trust to actually still be in business a month or two from now.

The limbo period for Kanon before it was rescued was enough for me, I'm not touching an ADV release of Clannad even a second before the final volume is released.
kindups

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
This is tempting to me...I didn't enjoy Clannad's story as much as Kanon's, but Tomoya was a much funnier and interesting character than Yuuichi. Plus it had the obligatory beautiful visuals from KyoAni.

Though I wish they would get Funi to print up some more copies of vols. 4 & 5 of Kanon...I've got them ordered, just waiting for TRSI to get them in stock Sad
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
I get not even a quarter of the way through this thread, and I already see a bunch of weeaboo neckbeards raging about a dub that's not even out yet. WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO BASH DUBS THAT HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN MADE YET?! Jesus H. Christ, wait till it's out, then watch it. If you don't like it, then watch it subbed. And if anyone ever comes in and says that all the dubs are bad and "Americanized", I got news for ya: 1995 called; they want their anti-dub arguement back. For someone to bitch about English dubs of anime in this day and age because of how older dubs were like that is similar to a sandwich connoisseur refusing to eat a turkey BLT because the turkey BLT they ate at Al's Greasy Spoon back in 1983 tasted like ass.

But I digress. Wait till the dub is out and watch it before you piss and moan about it. But me? I'll just watch the dub, because I was born a dub fan and I'll die a dub fan.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'm glad for the news, I hope ADV keeps up the standards that they used for both Air and Kanon.

On the downside, as others have said, I will be waiting to buy the release only once it is fully released. In recent years there have been far too many series that have been stopped, dropped or down right canceled, not to mention countless titles often left in limbo until the license expires.

If i put my money into something, it will be a finished product, pure and simple.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
One is allowed to be glad for a release of a product and still recognize that the dub work on it is godawful. There's a big difference between subdued but poignant and emotionless robotic.

Eh? I thought the Voices dub was not very good at all, but I've seen The Place Promised in Our Early Days both ways and the dub's quite nice. It's certainly not "horrific" or "godawful," nor did I find it robotic. I thought Jessica Boone and Chris Patton both did pretty fine jobs.

A dub like Crest of the Stars = horrific. Revolutionary Girl Utena = godawful. But The Place Promised in Our Early Days is merely okay, at worst.

In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't actually watch the dub of The Place Promised (I was borrowing the DVD from a friend ), so I'm not really commenting on that, and I just got and watched 5cm/second in Japanese this weekend, so I don't know how that is either, thus my comment applies exclusively to Voices. And it was exaggeration to make a point.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
*adds to shopping list after Naruto LE Boxsets 8-10, Lucky Stay LE 2-3, One Piece Uncut 1-2, Higurashi vol.4 and Bleach Boxset 2*

Even if it's not fully released (which I doubt will happen), I'd prefer to own part of something good, than none at all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Panon: If you don't trust ADV, then it won't be finished anyway.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Even if it's not fully released (which I doubt will happen), I'd prefer to own part of something good, than none at all.

Yeah, I'm a completionist when it comes to DVDs, and I'm still taking that position as well. Mostly because -- and I hate to sound preachy here -- I think we all know that ADV is pretty fragile right now. Assuming they've licensed the series, ADV is going to need all the purchases they can get to build up steam again. The company needs to establish decent cashflow as soon as possible.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW ADV was gonna get Clannad! If they do, I'll be sooooooo happy! I can think of so many voice actresses for Nagisa!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
Don't care about the dub, but that's not why I'm not buying. I'm not buying couse I'm gonna buy the R2. I saw it at a freind of mine (lucky rich bastard) and the video-audio quality on the DVD was way beyong what a R1 will have. Yes, it's twice as expensive, but for Calnnad, I'll pay.

Also, I don't trust ADV to actually finish releasing a series. No offence to ADV fans, but I don't see this company alive for much longer, at the rate thighs are going. And as more and more people will refuse to buy unless it's finished, or buy the R2 like myslef, the sales will drop. I'm no esper, but that's what I think
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
This is pretty unpleasant news.

Not because of dubbing quality or anything silly like that, but more because I don't like seeing titles I want to buy ending up in the hands of a company that I don't trust to actually still be in business a month or two from now.

The limbo period for Kanon before it was rescued was enough for me, I'm not touching an ADV release of Clannad even a second before the final volume is released.

Yeah I agree if its the series. ADV lose my faith in them when these 4 series went on hiatus (Saiunkoku, Shonen Onmyoji, Tokyo Majin, Welcome to the NHK). Two of which got saved by Funi Very Happy , but still Crying or Very sad about Tokyo Majin and the final vol of Nhk is just like an eyesore Evil or Very Mad on my collection.

Anyway if its the series I would hope that they'd just release it in some complete series box. if only movie I'd buy it regardless.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
Saiunkoku and Shonen Onmyoji were Geneon titles.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote
RauTwilight wrote:

Yeah I agree if its the series. ADV lose my faith in them when these 4 series went on hiatus (Saiunkoku, Shonen Onmyoji, Tokyo Majin, Welcome to the NHK). Two of which got saved by Funi Very Happy , but still Crying or Very sad about Tokyo Majin and the final vol of Nhk is just like an eyesore Evil or Very Mad on my collection.

K.o.R wrote:
Saiunkoku and Shonen Onmyoji were Geneon titles.

Tokyo Majin and Welcome to NHK went on hiatus because of Sojitz. So direct your rage at those <bleeps> instead, RauTwulight.

Yeah, FUNi scavenged those 2 and ADV is still doing the work on them as well as the other Sojitz titles. And in the end, ADV and the fans of those titles got the finger from Sojitz. You should be thanking ADV for completing the work on those titles instead. Evil or Very Mad

I truly hope that Divine Retribution rains down on Sojitz for what we are going thru right now. And a certain other distriubutor should get it in spades also if they don't explain themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12