• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Kiddy Grade, Mushi-Shi, Ouran on ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So Zero Profit is better. Totaly gotcha.

Zero profit is decidedly better than losing a whole chunk of money on a venture that winds up flopping in a big way. With the global economy the way it is right now, the prospect of drawing up an ad-based revenue system is a very shaky one, particularly in a region where there isn't necessarily a proven demand for a particular product.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Anyone else see Mr.Stain on Junk Alley? I was surprised it was ever licensed.

Animax-Asia uses it for filler. I guess Funi got it as part of a package deal.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
What's keeping streaming anime out of Europe and other territories isn't just the rights issues, it's the fact there is essentially no internet advertising industry. Sure, there are a few banner ad companies here and there, but it's really pennies compared to North America (and really, only recently here did the industry get robust enough to support the cost of streaming video).

Streaming is available, just not for all titles. Most of the titles on the FUNimation site itself and Youtube are available to view here (although every time I've tried FUNimation's site I have trouble with buffering)

What isn't available here is FUNimation's DTO service, even for titles you can buy on DVD and can watch streaming from their own site so I don't see that that is a rights issue and it can't be an ad revenue issue when they are taking payments.

I wish someone like Bost was carrying Shangri-la - neither my PC nor my PS3 can cope with the higher quality streams on Crunchyroll's flash player so I'd much prefer a DTO option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

What's keeping streaming anime out of Europe and other territories isn't just the rights issues, it's the fact there is essentially no internet advertising industry. Sure, there are a few banner ad companies here and there, but it's really pennies compared to North America (and really, only recently here did the industry get robust enough to support the cost of streaming video).

Much as I'd like to make the case to rights holders, it's a lot of time and effort and perceived risk (if not actual risk) for very little potential profit at the moment.
Three words "Pay Per View". Wink Again there is no success without risk, but if one does not at least take the risk, one can not succeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5