• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Midwinter Blahs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
1thought: Ah. What they probably should do is just Kindle what's already been translated, and see if the demand is there, at least in that format.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Print on Demand is notoriously expensive

it is no longer print on demand when you order 2,000+ copies of whatever you need, so I went back and upped the needed amount to 2,000

For 2,000 copies, the cost is $3,900, with a shipping cost close to $170, making the final cost for that print run $4,070 (and yes, they includes the cover, why the hell would it not be included)

DMP shouldn't be asking for more than $30,000 to make this print run happen. Even if the minimal amount needed was $35,000 (like you said), they're asking for 10 grand more

Regardless of what service DMP is using (they use some service in Canada), they need to find a new service. As of now, they don't even add the colored artwork into their prints, but SuBLime easily adds them into their prints (SL is also cheaper)

DMP needs to get their shit together
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Print on Demand is notoriously expensive

it is no longer print on demand when you order 2,000+ copies of whatever you need, so I went back and upped the needed amount to 2,000

For 2,000 copies, the cost is $3,900, with a shipping cost close to $170, making the final cost for that print run $4,070 (and yes, they includes the cover, why the hell would it not be included)

DMP shouldn't be asking for more than $30,000 to make this print run happen. Even if the minimal amount needed was $35,000 (like you said), they're asking for 10 grand more

Regardless of what service DMP is using (they use some service in Canada), they need to find a new service. As of now, they don't even add the colored artwork into their prints, but SuBLime easily adds them into their prints (SL is also cheaper)

Yep they need to do something. But, the goal in the Finder Kickstarter is not just printing and associated shipping costs. It also includes licensing fees as part of the restock. Then you have to factor in what will probably be 10% of the total raised in fees to Kickstarter and for the payment processing service. They're giving away merch that has to be manufactured as well. And there are probably other costs to think about too. (Regularly I believe printing should run something like 10% of MSRP and you generally need to be selling in the thousands of copies to have a successful title. Which is part of why it's odd to people... Digital Manga is using Kickstarter for a bestseller now.)

About what service for printing Digital Manga are using, they also switched printers back in November 2014 (which is why those books that were suppose to be out already have been delayed). They also do use colour inserts in 801 titles like Finder (higher MSRP of course). Recently they also put colour pages in Twittering Birds Never Fly 2 under Juné since readers were disappointed with no colour in volume 1. So expect to see that in the print version when in comes out if you're buying it. (I'm personally not on principle because they ran into an issue that required altering a couple pages.)

Is SuBLime a better publisher, yes. But, they also have two large publishers with reputations to uphold behind them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:

"How dares Inafune shamelessly peddle his ideas to potential customers after growing tired of working for a creativity-stifling corporation? No sirrah! He ought have either become employed at some other corporation and work his way from zero to the point where he can again pitch his ideas to the higher ups and get them approved, or incur in massive and risky debt to start his own proper business! That's how our great-grandfathers did it and that should be good enough for anybody!"

If Capcom were that big on killing creativity they would've killed Okami, Godhand, Viewtiful Joe, & Rockman Dash when they still existed as mere concepts. Instead of spending bundles on money to make games few people bought in and outside of Japan.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
As for group recording, with few exceptions, ALL US TV animation is group recorded.

My comment concerned animated feature films, not television programs. Most Hollywood animated films from places like Pixar feature well-known actors with busy schedules. Reports about the productions of these films usually indicate that the individual actors perform alone.

I once met Edward Everett Horton, who was the narrator for the "Fractured Fairy Tales" segment of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. He told me the actors on that show worked collectively starting with the storyboarding phase. That makes sense to me when you're producing a weekly series with a fixed cast of voice actors, none of whom are "stars." Getting Daws Butler and June Foray together was probably a lot easier than scheduling sessions with people like Angelina Jolie or Tom Hanks.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I appreciate that they try to work with you in regards to pledges (ie. The new tiers they added last night can be used to for friends were unable to get VIP passes). Most of the KS projects I've backed have been pretty inflexible regarding rewards and such. I'm hoping that something can be done about the $610 tier requiring airfare, such as putting it towards another trip or transferring it to a friend. Or at least let me donate it to a charity, like Make a Wish. Seems silly for me to pay for airfare when I live in SF and no one is going to use it.

Edit: Thanks for clarifying the costs regarding Print-On-Demand. The 45K goal makes a bit more sense when assuming that each of the seven book will cost around 5K each to print.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
It also includes licensing fees as part of the restock

No it doesn't. No where in the campaign says "we need to renew the license for Finder", this campaign is just so they can restock one of their top selling titles
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
katscradle wrote:
It also includes licensing fees as part of the restock

No it doesn't. No where in the campaign says "we need to renew the license for Finder", this campaign is just so they can restock one of their top selling titles

https://twitter.com/digitalmanga/status/552975485714436096
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:

gee, how convenient of them to not put that info in the Kickstarter campaign

DMP just needs to get out of the market, it's just sad that they can't/won't afford the money to renew the license to one of their few decent titles
JonLa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Any business that wants to engage in this kind of outlay needs to establish a source for finance, whether it be their reserves, profits from a previous product, or a loan from the bank - this last one is particularly risky because what if the product doesn't sell? What if the bank thinks it is risky and puts the interest at a higher rate? Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sources will provide them with both the capital AND the pre-orders, meaning that a very significant proportion of the risk is avoided AND hey get to put the product into the hands of loyal customers AND they get the capital required to do the reprint.

Their money people may have said that investing in a reprint is risky - traditional sales channels for this kind of product are drying up, or the market is saturated, or something. The kickstarter ties the funding to preorders and allows them to say to the money guys "ha ha! Look - there is interest AND they'll preorder"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Crowdfunding does not guarantee you get the money you need to start your project. One only needs to see all those failed campaigns for various indie games (which IndieGoGo, of course, has a lot of too).

People get the impression that crowdfunding ensures you the capital needed because they only hear about successes like Mighty No. 9, Skullgirls, and on this site, the CLANNAD translations.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

If Capcom were that big on killing creativity they would've killed Okami, Godhand, Viewtiful Joe, & Rockman Dash when they still existed as mere concepts. Instead of spending bundles on money to make games few people bought in and outside of Japan.

Well note that all those games were most recently 2 generations ago. I pretty much see it as the Capcom we loved from our childhoods left long ago, but a phoenix rose in Platinum Games. They have samurai android ninjas and hot witches dressed like Samus. I like them.

In regards to kickstarter, I see it as somewhat dishonest when they say "we need X amount of money for that thing you love, this is our last chance, like seriously you guys," when they could probably have a more traditional method of operation that doesn't require people pay for something that doesn't yet exist. There also is no real regulation on how the money gets spent (so many horror stories and tales of starters that raised double the funds but blew through it all halfway through). What Vata is saying about DMP seems quite sketchy. Really when you're coming to the consumers yourself to ask for funding, it seems like something that should be a last resort. A grassroots campaign to bring back that thing that time forgot but everyone loves, and this is the only way anyone can think of to make it happen. It's another if Michael Bay gets on kickstarter and goes "You want Transformers 5? Pay for it yourselves not-so-nice-people. I bet you'll do it; you watched the other 4."
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Crowdfunding is a boon for new companies or low-profile companies that would not get the trust needed to take out a loan the traditional way. A successful campaign would not only get them the money needed to get their projects started (assuming the project is legitimate, which they aren't necessarily), but it would also publicly demonstrate that a demand exists for that product.

The problem I have is when a company that should have the money to fund its own projects turns to crowdfunding (some have suggested Viz), or when a company makes a successful campaign, only to return to crowdfunding later for a similar project (like that certain company I mentioned a while back). The former is not only unnecessary, it's a money drain because of the fees, and the latter demonstrates that company has bad accounting and budgeting (and misses the point of crowdfunding--the biggest one is called "Kickstarter" for a reason, which is that it's the push to get a business running).
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
It's the same thing with the bulk of the folks who cried when Onemanga got shut down years ago, and when Crunchyroll went legit.

Ah, Onemanga. I remember it well.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:
How dares Inafune shamelessly peddle his ideas to potential customers after growing tired of working for a creativity-stifling corporation? No sirrah! He ought have either become employed at some other corporation and work his way from zero to the point where he can again pitch his ideas to the higher ups and get them approved, or incur in massive and risky debt to start his own proper business! That's how our great-grandfathers did it and that should be good enough for anybody!"

Inafune's great creative vision being the same games he's been making since the early 1980s.

Inafune resorting to Kickstarter is less about creativity, and more about him making a quick buck on milking nostalgia from westerners because Japan wasn't buying his stuff anymore. Nothing more. Everything about Mighty No 9 has been a shameless copy and paste of Rockman, right down to the designs of Not!Rock and Not!Roll. To imply Inafune is a man of creativity is absurd. He's not out to make some unique game, he's just peddling the same thing he's been doing for the last 30 years. When the EXE and Shooter Star series eclipsed the original series, he probably got upset.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
The problem I have is when a company that should have the money to fund its own projects turns to crowdfunding (some have suggested Viz), or when a company makes a successful campaign, only to return to crowdfunding later for a similar project (like that certain company I mentioned a while back). The former is not only unnecessary, it's a money drain because of the fees, and the latter demonstrates that company has bad accounting and budgeting (and misses the point of crowdfunding--the biggest one is called "Kickstarter" for a reason, which is that it's the push to get a business running).

Yes, when you see big million dollar corporations using Kickstarter just so they don't have to invest anything into projects, it comes off really scummy and cheap.

I'm not a big fan of crowdfunding just because I've yet to see anything worthwhile come out of it. It's either just R1 releases of anime which I've already seen, or it's for video games that are just clones of other video games. I've yet to see anything wow me or have me say "Now THIS is something only possible because of crowdfunding".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7