• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre CEO Eyes Former Geneon Titles for Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Arturia wrote:
no excuse for not finishing WHEN THEY CRY, AND ROZEN MAIDEN they are already half relealsed.

ALso HIGURASHI IS MY favorite ANYWAY SO im biased!!!!!
Unfortunately they have a very good reason not to bother. Low sales. Crying or Very sad

Since they've already spent the money, it would seem to make sense to go ahead and release them, but there are costs with making the DVDs, distributing them, etc. Plus, if Geneon restructures and resumes operations, these series could very well be seen as non-priorities that ulitimately just end up forgotten as a wave of new projects that are expected to generate better profit are wroked on instead.

If fans don't want things to vanish, they have to buy the real products. (I'm assuming you have Arturia.) Peach Pit doesn't benefit from bootlegs and neither do the folk behind Higurashi.

Legal DVD sales, however, either earn them some royalties or at the least tell companies that their series are profitable and thus they should buy more of their stuff to sell. Either way, the creators benefit, the companies benefit, the fans benefit. (I can't think of a better benefit for a Rozen Maiden fan than a company backing another season or another OVA, which won't happen if no one is buying the ones that are already out.)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Legal DVD sales, however, either earn them some royalties or at the least tell companies that their series are profitable and thus they should buy more of their stuff to sell. Either way, the creators benefit, the companies benefit, the fans benefit. (I can't think of a better benefit for a Rozen Maiden fan than a company backing another season or another OVA, which won't happen if no one is buying the ones that are already out.)
Plenty of people bought Berserk and Fruits Basket, but I'm not seeing any additional seasons of those series.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Plenty of people bought Berserk and Fruits Basket, but I'm not seeing any additional seasons of those series.

I always thought the reason there was no second season to Berserk was something to do with creative differences/disagreements or something, not a lack of financial backing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I would have liked to have seen CCS uncut, but they only had Card Captors here in the UK which was on our ITV channel 3 and it was dreadful so never got into it that much. My daughter was a great fan of Sailor Moon and would love to see it uncut aswell, but it would have to be dubbed as would CCS.

True.
I always mentally railed at paying hybrid price for the sub-only release of CCS (with some excuse to it being sub-only because Pioneer didn't want angry parents accidentally buyng the uncut version & going thru the roof over the yaoi & yuri stuff. Loli? DOes Sakura's crush on Yukito count as loli?), but at least I got it. Yeah, there were cheaper sets later, but my set has been extensively loaned out so it's seen its use. I really don't regret paying $20+ each for the 20 dvds (including the movies)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5