• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freezing Sci-Fi Action Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I repeat myself, characters get shirtless/semi-nude because they sustain so much damage their cloth is destroyed or seriously damaged, the gender does not change that basic notion

It doesn't, and there are obviously women who enjoy seeing buff guys in various states of undress every bit as much as men can enjoy an attractive female character in the same state. If this were just a show where clothes occasionally get torn during a fight, or very little were worn in the first place while training on a hot day, your position would be quite reasonable.

However, the context and presentation in this show is often completely different, such as the camera being pointed up girls' skirts much of the time for no reason but to show their panties. If it were a brief flash as they were doing a kick, that would at least be justified, but there's no such subtlety here. A guy taking off his shirt before a fight provides fanservice, but he's also giving his opponent one less thing to grab him by, whereas the fanservice in this show is mostly just flat-out gratuitous. I'd be one of the last people on Earth to claim that's a terrible thing, but how one feels about it does not change what it is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
However, the context and presentation in this show is often completely different, such as the camera being pointed up girls' skirts much of the time for no reason but to show their panties.

I am quite pissed at the stupid panty shot angles and also I am quite mad at the anime only beauty contest (episode 8) and any other details I have forgotten that prevent Pandora's from looking cool. But beggars can't be choosers and sadly most people (men or women) attitude towards beautiful and empowered females is quite negative (ranges from fear to jealousy), so no doubt the studio is quite afraid from not catering to potential buyers that want quite the opposite -_-;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6