• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Student Council Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Glad to see Right Stuf failed to disappoint and has in fact given the series the treatment it deserves. Undoubtedly, it goes without saying that the Japanese side must also be credited for all of their restoration work.

Personally, I would say a DVD-only release from HD masters is starting from a point of failure. Releasing 4k masters on DVD/HD is one thing, but not using what you got is another. There's also the dread ljaesch hints at, of the impending speedbump known as the Black Rose Saga.

Is this remastering really that good? I tried running A/B tests with TRSI's demo clip versus my copies of the DVDs and really didn't notice anything. Did they just pick a range that was less illustrative than they could have? That was my main hangup on pulling a re-buy (before hearing it was not just a remaster but an HD-remaster anyway.)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Having just finished re-watching this one last night, I almost entirely agree with Zac's review. Personally I like the dub more than him (which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me) though there are a number of places where the performances are weaker than they should be. Still, there's something charming about the performances and some VAs did such a particulary good job overall in the series (going beyond just the eps here) that I really don't think the dub hurts anything.

My only other disagreement is about the repetition. Maybe if they hadn't used that great insert song or if the imagery weren't so interesting to me, I'd agree with the "fastforward" idea but it's completely a matter of personal taste.

Utena truly does deserve such a high rating. It's unique and any anime fan who has ever complained about anime series being too similar MUST check this one out.

And this is the weakest part of the of the series IMHO! The best is yet to come.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
Zac and I rarely seem to share similar tastes when it comes to newer stuff (I blame it on him not having a K on the end of his name, as is proper!) but he's spot on with his review of Revolutionary Girl Utena. For them to take a shoestring budget and bring such a masterpiece speaks volumes. I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I will be making this the first title I double dip on. Although unlike some philanthropic people, my CPM sets will remain in my possession forever since I don't donate anything. Upon my death, they shall be melted down with the rest of my DVDs so that I may be embalmed in them!
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
My favorite series is finally back in print! I have never been happier about triple-dipping (oldschool fansub tapes, CPM release, and finally TRSI).

Also, the Black Rose a speedbump? The plot takes a backseat to character work, but the plot always takes a back seat to character work in Utena, except in a select few episodes.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Great review Smile I hope more people end up seeing Utena-- it's really something that shouldn't be missed, and younger/newer fans should be able to enjoy the story too. It really is timeless!

I'm sure I'll get this set eventually, but as I already own the original dvds for this arc and not the others, I'm planning to start collecting with the Black Rose arc. I LOVE the artwork on these boxes. They're gorgeous.

I do wish they'd redubbed though :\ I remember when I first got the dvd, popping it in, putting on the dub, snorting derisively, and then going back to subs forever and ever. It deserved better! I'm glad this review agrees, at least... I've seen an awful lot of people talking about how amazing the dub was >_> No, that's nostalgia you're feeling, not the memory of quality. The Sailor Moon dub makes me feel all nostalgic too, but that doesn't mean it would pass muster by today's standards.

I think I did the same thing, except I never really watched much of the subs. Is this really a good anime?
Shale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the dub: It gets a lot better after the Student Council arc. From what I heard Ikuhara was directly involved with the English dubbing of the first block of episodes (which were translated years before the remainder of the series), and that never ends well. The latter 26 episodes are......not great, but far better than it started out. Rachael Lillis in particular really grows into the role of Utena. Sadly she's being compared against Tomoko Kawakami's uncanny performance in the Japanese version, so it's still no contest.
Norbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
The set arrived in my mail (in Australia) today.

I was never a fan of Utena, but i'm a sucker for these sort of remastered releases; i got both of the Dirty Pair releases as well as the Captain Tylor TV remastered series.

My one and only experience with Utena is the feature film, which went right through my head and i found it a very paifull experience so i stoped watching it after 20-30 min.

I have been looking forward to Nozomi and their release of the Remastered series, as soon as i found out about it and what it contained - i put my name down for the Limited Edition set.

How limited? I frankly don't know or for how long they will keep releasing it.

What we can be grateful for is that Nozomi took most of what the japanese release had as well as translating the wonderful booklet into english. Nozomi also gave us a nice looking hard cardboard box with very beautiful art on it which houses the dvds which are housed in three slim cases. I don't know how this compares to the Japan release since they do tend to release their products in lavish sets containing very pretty digipaks with slip cases and the like. Oh, also the price was nothing like the japanese - thank God that we don't have to shelve out hundreds of dollars for it.

peace
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6