• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chivalry of a Failed Knight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The whole silent movement deception thingy was a bit gimmicky. Lighting speed movement might have been a bit unoriginal, but it would've made a lot more sense.

The fights in this show are awesome. There's always a good amount of build up before each fight. Can't wait to see the fight between Ikki and the student council president.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The whole silent movement deception thingy was a bit gimmicky. Lighting speed movement might have been a bit unoriginal, but it would've made a lot more sense.

Well it is magic, so you can expect there to be some things that require understanding some concept. You see, eyes really are not that great at details, what our brains do is a good job at taking what information our eyes do get and filling in the rest of the picture, especially good if we are familiar with the setting. Or actually possibly worse, there are cases where they have found people in cars have a lot of accidents in streets they are very familiar with, where the driver will claim that the other car came out of nowhere. This out of nowhere thing is something referred to as inattention blindness, people will think they are well aware of what is around them, but totally miss some changes because of a lack of focus from autopilot.

Sure putting it in practice is fantasy, but if you are familiar with cases of selective attention you might see where it is coming from. Magicians are a type of person who do take advantage of it. When I was in High School we once had this magician brought in and I was used as an example, where I was sat in a specific spot and he would make something disappear from right in front of me. In truth he was just throwing the things behind me, everyone else could see it, but the magician was able to control my focus so much that it just looked like it disappeared. This concept is a better explanation of characters kind of disappearing in anime than some other things.

Not really important, but the student council president has kind of reminded me of Medaka.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
They didn't need to go into so much depth about it. Just say the president is hiding her presence. No need to go on about consciousness categorizing the presidents moves as unnecessary information because of stealthy steps and breathing techniques. Makes it seem more complicated than it needs to be.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
They didn't need to go into so much depth about it. Just say the president is hiding her presence. No need to go on about consciousness categorizing the presidents moves as unnecessary information because of stealthy steps and breathing techniques. Makes it seem more complicated than it needs to be.

The characters will probably need this info in the next battle so I'm glad they took it out of the way already, at least. Maybe the next battle can be less narrated by bystanders.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I... am lost. Why was Ikki incarcerated? Is it illegal to be in a relationship with Stella? Also does the Kurogane family control the judicial system or something? What is going on?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

This episode has a weird vibe to it, like it went Shaft style or something in the second half. I kinda felt bad for Ikki as he's being put on the spot. Sad really since they are treating him like a criminal for dating Stella.

Toka turned out to be a more friendlier girl than most expected. (considering her coldness on the battlefield previously).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 11

I... am lost. Why was Ikki incarcerated? Is it illegal to be in a relationship with Stella? Also does the Kurogane family control the judicial system or something? What is going on?

Remember that his family is looking for any excuse to ruin his life. They run this Ethics Committee or whatever so they're holding him on the grounds of doing 'immoral' things with Stella. Because of her status anything bad happening to her might cause an international incident.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't they need some sort of evidence to hold Ikki (that kiss picture couldn't possibly count)? Did they fabricate some? And more importantly wouldn't they need a statement from Stella?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It's a classic "Screw the rules, I have money!" situation. They can make up all the false accusations they want. Not like they intend to let Ikki have a chance to defend himself.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Just to me it seems rather silly that they are holding Ikki for doing "immoral" things with Stella. Particulary when that picture of them kissing makes it seem like they are in a relationship, and the public seems to think so too. To me it would have seemed a lot more plausible to frame Ikki for stealing something for example. I see all this as a pretty far-fetched way to tie Stella into all of this.

Pfft. The fight between Todo Touka and Ikki is what interests me. So it'll be interesting to see how the worn-out Ikki will beat the student council president.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Again, it has everything to do with Stella's status. Were it any other girl there'd be nothing for them to raise a fuss about. It's all about how they choose to spin it. Ikki gets portrayed negatively which can raise a question of "Why is a princess dating such a worthless guy?" which can turn into "There's no way she'd willingly do so, he must be forcing her into it!" So they can start up an investigation into whether or not something bad is happening to her as an excuse to detain Ikki. Either they'll break him mentally and get him to make a false confession, or they'll keep him exhausted so he'll eventually lose a match.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I just don't this plausible. Blaming Ikki for doing "immoral" things seems so vague and miniscule. Not something you could use to lock someone up for 17 days and force them to continuously fight duels without giving them enough time to rest even if the "victim" is a princess. I get that there are probably all kinds of manipulation and bribing going on, but we don't really get to see any of that. So how far does the manipulating and bribing go? The nosebleed sensei sees how they treat Ikki so can't she contact the police or someone? Can't Stella clear Ikki's name? Like contact another news outlet?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Poor, innocent Cam0. Doesn't know that things like "reason" or "laws" don't apply to those in power.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
People in power often can get away with doing horribly things because all they need to do is put enough public pressure with some control of media and they can put it that no one will want to say otherwise. Seems implausible? I was thinking that, but also that in modern world you get cases where you find out governments can do so pretty sick stuff to refugees and terrorist suspects, and people just eat that stuff up because they consider the other person an instant bad guy. I am angry from how he was treated in the episode, but it is also getting me really angry about comments I have read recently on a very right wing news website filled with racist bigots that cannot be reasoned with. Mad

Okay, calm. I did enjoy the style they did in the episode with the colours and film grain, it added an interesting tone to the episode. It did create an interesting mix of being both good to watch, and also painful.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Poor, innocent Cam0. Doesn't know that things like "reason" or "laws" don't apply to those in power.

I do know that. It's just that I can't take the reason they are holding Ikki seriously. I just can't, I'm sorry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7