• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals Neo Yokio Animated Series Collaboration With Production I.G, Studio Deen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
I was sure this was an April Fools joke... Then I remembered it's September. Just... Why does this need to exist?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
When it comes to animated shows I would say that Gargoyles was one of the last good animated shows made by Disney. Gargoyles was made over 20 years ago. While there are western animated shows in the comedy genre that I consider good I would say that anime dominates everything else. In terms of Western animated shows what is equivalent to: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fate/stay night, Space Brothers, Attack on Titan, Chihayafuru, Yurikuma Arashi, Re:Zero, and Erased?

Avatar the Last Airbender was also better than most of those shows, probably about equal to FMA. Teen Titans was better than several, probably not as good as AoT or FMA. Certainly, Japanese anime is pumping out a lot more complex animated content than American television animation, but it's not like there have been no shows on American tv that have been equal or better than most. But I was talking about all American content anyway, including movies and comics, and the reason I was talking about that is because anime fans tend to get all up in arms when they see influence from other forms of American content affecting Japanese anime and they seem to believe that Japanese anime is superior to all of those things when it just isn't in any objective consideration, whether you are talking about cash money revenue or critical acclaim.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
Gargoyles, Gravity falls, AtLA and Stevan Universe are all better than pretty much 99% of all anime. Sorry but it's true.

As for this Netflix thing, I'm honestly very confused. Throughout the whole trailer I kept thinking "hey, that looks really interesting" but at the same time I had no idea what any of it was about. It seems like it is going to be one of those kinda artsy shows with lots of important and complex things to say but it throws it at you stream-of-consciousness-style. Not sure how well that is going to fly but I am definitely going to check it out.

Seems to me that the truckloads of hate it gets is because it is trendy to hate on Jaden Smith right now and this weird superiority complex certain anime-fans have about the medium.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Gargoyles, Gravity falls, AtLA and Stevan Universe are all better than pretty much 99% of all anime. Sorry but it's true.

As for this Netflix thing, I'm honestly very confused. Throughout the whole trailer I kept thinking "hey, that looks really interesting" but at the same time I had no idea what any of it was about. It seems like it is going to be one of those kinda artsy shows with lots of important and complex things to say but it throws it at you stream-of-consciousness-style. Not sure how well that is going to fly but I am definitely going to check it out.

Seems to me that the truckloads of hate it gets is because it is trendy to hate on Jaden Smith right now and this weird superiority complex certain anime-fans have about the medium.

1. No they aren't. Some of these shows are good, but Gargoyles Season 3 was a train wreck and Steven Universe...kinda sucks. It's very hard to watch as an adult male.

2. Again, Animation Domination leftovers. Remember High School USA? I didn't until I looked up what else the block played besides Axe Cop.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
But I was talking about all American content anyway, including movies and comics, and the reason I was talking about that is because anime fans tend to get all up in arms when they see influence from other forms of American content affecting Japanese anime and they seem to believe that Japanese anime is superior to all of those things when it just isn't in any objective consideration, whether you are talking about cash money revenue or critical acclaim.

American media content nowadays is mostly crap. Ok Game of Thrones is great but almost everything else is just so boring and miss originality. The movies are Super Heroes, remakes or multi movies franshise. A 68yo Terminator!! A 75yo Indiana Jones!!!

Japanese animation is not superior to those things, but is different. And is that what make it great. American influence will only make Japanese anime the same of those things and what most anime fans look for, is the difference.

If it's mostly crap, then crap must be pretty awesome because it dominates the globe. Consider that in 2016 (the year of Your Name), three of the top 5 box office movies in Japan were American (Zootopia, Finding Dory and Fantastic Beasts). Zootopia and Finding Dory each made more than 3 times the global box office as Your Name, and Fantastic Beasts more than doubled it.

Six of the top 10 movies in Japan were American (including the three above plus Rogue One, Secret Life of Pets and Resident Evil The Final Chapter). Your Name's global box office sales were barely higher than Resident Evil The Final Chapter, (355 million vs 312 million), notwithstanding the massive marketing and word of mouth push for Your Name. Rogue One made triple the box office of Your Name and Secret Life of Pets was more than double.

Think about that though, aside from 60% of the best performing movies in Japan being American, you have a year in which Japan actually puts out an outstanding movie that performs exceptionally well and even then, it still barely beats a bottom barrel U.S. action flick that's not even at the B movie level.

If we get to the point where every anime product can perform as well as Your Name, at that point Japanese anime will be just barely at the point of starting to compete with the bottom barrel American movies. That is the context we are looking at here. They still won't be even close to the same level as the Zootopias, Inside Outs and Frozens (all Oscar winners and massive financial successes).
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

1. No they aren't. Some of these shows are good, but Gargoyles Season 3 was a train wreck and Steven Universe...kinda sucks. It's very hard to watch as an adult male.

2. Again, Animation Domination leftovers. Remember High School USA? I didn't until I looked up what else the block played besides Axe Cop.

1. And as we all know, anything that doesn't pander to the fragile adult males out there automatically sucks.

2. Was any of that supposed to mean anything to me? Not having a great track record doesn't stop the trailer from showing a lot of cool ideas and nice animation.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
^ Yea it is funny to see him complaining about what "adult males" can watch in American animation, given that there is an entire adult male fandom around a show abut colorful ponies, and that show is almost certainly performing better than probably 95% of anime on the market. Smile
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo, if I understand you correctly your entire argument is American movies do well in Japan so that proves America is better than Japan? If so, it's flawed in that Japan is not a big movie market. Japan's biggest markets are print and television. It also seems your numbers are a bit off. As far as movies go, in 2016 domestic films made 169 billion yen and foreign films, that is to say America and the entire rest of the world, made 86 billion. Japan's films equated to around 64% of the market there.

But as I said, films are not a primary market in Japan. Just by comparison the manga market in 2016 made 445.4 billion yen, almost 3 times what the film industry did the same year. We are, or were, at the point a single manga alone (One Piece) was outselling the entire American comic industry. For a bigger kicker, Boku no Hero Academia outsells any superhero comic put out here. Television animation is simply a no brainer. Japan puts out more shows in a single season than we do in an entire year.

Anime has never used movies as its main distribution or creation, so using exclusively movies seems purposely dinhonest and misleading. Very few anime films are made every year. The bulk of the talent and profit comes from television. Maybe westerners are used to television animation being cheapand throwaway, and all the big animation are movies, but in Japan, it is the opposite. And if someone were to assert Steven Universe or Gargoyles was biger than One Piece, Pocket Monsters, Detective Conan, or any other kids anime, they would need some dang good proof to back that up.

-Stuart Smith
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
^ Yea it is funny to see him complaining about what "adult males" can watch in American animation, given that there is an entire adult male fandom around a show abut colorful ponies, and that show is almost certainly performing better than probably 95% of anime on the market. Smile

Dude, what's your problem? At least most anime fans haven't tried to make people kill themselves. Steven Universe is linked to two suicide attempts.

As for what this means, it just means this is the leftovers of a block that died its first year. Sure you got Steve Buscemi and Jaden (who wasn't terrible in The Get Down but wait, that got cancelled too!) but the people who made this have an awful track record.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Dude, what's your problem? (1) At least most anime fans haven't tried to make people kill themselves. (2) Steven Universe is linked to two suicide attempts.

(1) Are you seriously making a case that like 51% of people who aren't anime fans (or 51% of Steven Universe fans) have tried to make people kill themselves? The shows gets millions of viewers and like a few dozen people misbehaved online. How do you spin that as most SU fans?

A handful of otaku have gotten in trouble for like jerking off on their hands and rubbing it on idols. Would it be fair for someone who likes cartoons to be like "at least most cartoon fans don't rub cum on idols!" as if 10 jackasses ÷ millions of anime fans = 51%+ of anime fans.

(2) You cannot blame Steven Universe for random crazy people on the internet being jackasses. Will you blame anime when some crazy otaku does something absurd?
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Dude, what's your problem? At least most anime fans haven't tried to make people kill themselves. Steven Universe is linked to two suicide attempts.

As for what this means, it just means this is the leftovers of a block that died its first year. Sure you got Steve Buscemi and Jaden (who wasn't terrible in The Get Down but wait, that got cancelled too!) but the people who made this have an awful track record.

Woooooow there's a lot to unpack in this.

First of all, you are backtracking SO hard here. We were talking about the quality of these shows, not their fanbases. Either admit that you don't have a rebuttal before moving on to something else or stick to the topic.

Second of all, are you seriously trying to say that most SU-fans are suicide baiters? Because I have to call BS on that and I sure hope you can back it up with something other than "2 cases might be connected to the show in some way". I'm also pretty sure that in the most famous of these cases, the artist who supposedly got doxxed for making "skinny Rose" fanart, the victim publicly denied that the SU community had anything to do with the suicide attempt.

Third, you REALLY don't want to play the "who has the shittiest fanbase" here. Go to any forum that discusses anime without active Moderators and you will be SLOGGED by the sheer amount of shitty behaviour on display. I have personally been told to kill myself multiple times for daring to suggest that Dragonball could stand to be a bit more feminist. Not to mention that this is the subculture that have made bodypillows and jerkoff material of underage characters into a viable market. I honestly cannot fathom how someone has failed to notice all the stories of Otaku doing weird or criminal shit floating around to make this comment.

And as I said before, the track record isn't really an argument here. The trailer itself still shows promise and unknown beginners can still pull off great things.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess if people are growing up with current Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon output, New Yokio seems like an innovative and amazing project. As bad as the animation looks, it beats the pants off all the Flash animated stuff on TV. It makes me glad 2D animation isnt a rare novelty in Japan that it warrants such excitement and fervor over a show like this. Cartoon fans seem to have very low standards thanks to the dreary state American animation is in.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

If it's mostly crap, then crap must be pretty awesome because it dominates the globe. Consider that in 2016 (the year of Your Name), three of the top 5 box office movies in Japan were American (Zootopia, Finding Dory and Fantastic Beasts). Zootopia and Finding Dory each made more than 3 times the global box office as Your Name, and Fantastic Beasts more than doubled it.

Six of the top 10 movies in Japan were American (including the three above plus Rogue One, Secret Life of Pets and Resident Evil The Final Chapter). Your Name's global box office sales were barely higher than Resident Evil The Final Chapter, (355 million vs 312 million), notwithstanding the massive marketing and word of mouth push for Your Name. Rogue One made triple the box office of Your Name and Secret Life of Pets was more than double.

Think about that though, aside from 60% of the best performing movies in Japan being American, you have a year in which Japan actually puts out an outstanding movie that performs exceptionally well and even then, it still barely beats a bottom barrel U.S. action flick that's not even at the B movie level.

If we get to the point where every anime product can perform as well as Your Name, at that point Japanese anime will be just barely at the point of starting to compete with the bottom barrel American movies. That is the context we are looking at here. They still won't be even close to the same level as the Zootopias, Inside Outs and Frozens (all Oscar winners and massive financial successes).

Are you comparing movies that cost $150 million to make and with all the promotion that American movies have, with movies from a small Japanese niche industry? Also animation Oscars are for American movies or Gibli movies that have support from Disney.

Disney movies are for a global audience but Japanese animation movies are primary made for the domestic market. If the do good outside Japan is great, but what matters is Japan.
It's no brainier that is impossible to compete worldwide with American media giants.
But In Japan, most of the market are movies made in Japan.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2017/03/01/films/hollywood-losing-japan-box-office-gender-bender-tale-name/
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I think the others have addressed the absurdity of your attack on SU fans so I'll leave that.

Also, I think it should be obvious that the reason I am making these points is because the haughtiness was getting a little too out of control in this thread. Sometimes anime fans need to get a dose of reality because we are in a bubble here and anime is not the ultimate content of all things that have ever been done but people like to act all snooty whenever articles like this come out.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
You cannot blame Steven Universe for random crazy people on the internet being jackasses.

They are not exactly random people. Steven Universe appeals to progressives, who are usually the source of these cruel acts. There were also American Tokyo Ghoul fans who harassed and demanded the mangaka commit suicide when he made a straight pairing canon instead of their fanpairing, Voltron fans who tried to blackmail Netflix into making a gay ship canon, American Yuri on Ice fans promoting assault and murder on people, and many others. You could even say ANN which has a progressive leaning has forum and staff members who promote harassment and violence on their Twitter accounts. Steven Universe may not be the root cause of it, but it enables it and is popular with them, and is a warning sign to be wary of people In my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7