• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Students failing should be a typical occurrence that doesn't diminish the plot. Saying it's 'predictable' is kind of avoiding the actual issue. The sun rising in the morning is predictable, but it's also typical.

I understand what you're saying, but the test is literally designed so that the majority of students do not pass. To have all of Class 1-A pass seems like its cheating the odds in an impractical way (relatively impractical considering no other class probably did that). That's why I mentioned it would have been better to allow 1 or 2 students from class 1-A to be eliminated before all the other students rallied together to help each other pass. They are all still heroes in training and I think their overall performance should reflect that they will not always succeed.

This is actually the first time no students fail at an examor event of any sort. I think this was meant as an obvious *the student of class 1-A are still strong moment* after the major tension and dark tone of the last 2 arcs. I really think that everyone passing and showing teamwork was the better option. It showed how far they came as a class since eveything started. They are going against the odds and * Will they continue to succeed?* is the question we ask ourselves. Having two random students fail to show they aren't *in good condition* wouldn't have improved much of anything right now.

Having then rally up and push to succeed together was actually a fantastic highlight imo. Having Aoyama being at the center of it was a fantastic bonus in term of emotinal payoff.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gasero:

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with the 'typical' / 'predictable' distinction.

I agree that students failing should be a regular occurrence, but why should that imply they should fail in every event?

I don't think all the UA students passing felt as if they were cheating the odds, necessarily, as they're framed as a group of legitimately battle-hardened students from the most prestigious school in the country that all worked together to help one another pass, but I do think it could have been sold more effectively. The "crushing of UA" didn't really feel dire at any point, in my opinion -- crises were resolved too quickly and airily, and the coordination of the other students to pursue UA never felt oppressive, especially with some of UA's standout students doing just fine wandering around on their own. I would've liked to see the UA students struggle more, and ultimately be forced into some form of desperate tight-knit cooperation to succeed.

We had opportunities for that kind of feeling with the Yaomomo filler scenes vs Sai and the meatball guy rapidly meatball'ing 2 of his 3 UA opponents. But those were turned around so quickly - almost casually - that they never really had me worried for the UA students. Which is a bummer; meatball guy in particular could have made for a real highlight fight, given how quickly he subdued two of UA's better combatants.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
How would it have increased tension? How did you already know everyone would pass? And I'll ask too. How did giving character developpement to Aoyama made him more annoying?
I did not know they would all pass, but I know they will all pass the next round. In a story you want to be unsure whether or not someone will succeed or fail, unless the steaks are really high in which case there is only one option. I'm not saying they have to constantly fail, or even half the time, as that would create the same problem, it just has to be an option, it's not like they will die, where they would have to disappear from the story.

Aoyama was not to bad when he was comic relief in the background, but when he got brought to the front being all melodramatic, still with that [expletive] annoying voice and acting. And it would of been good if he failed, it would of given his sacrifice some meaning, and they could thanked him afterwards and cheered him to succeed next time. And as I said before its not like he is giving the ultimate sacrifice of death.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I did not know they would all pass, but I know they will all pass the next round.

.. er, based on what?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I did not know they would all pass, but I know they will all pass the next round.

.. er, based on what?
You want me to tell you? I mean I suppose I can, it would feel rather patronising though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, please elaborate.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well since this class has been formed, they have conquered every challenge without any collateral damage, at least nothing I consider collateral, and this last one was more on the nose with a strong message of we will all pass because we are Class A-1. And based on past experience with shows of a similar nature, i would need to be both blind and not to see otherwise.

In the event of some miracle that the show decides that not everyone needs too pass(or later at a similar event), then I take back everything I said. I get a better show so i don't loose anything by being wrong.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Well since this class has been formed, they have conquered every challenge without any collateral damage, at least nothing I consider collateral, and this last one was more on the nose with a strong message of we will all pass because we are Class A-1. And based on past experience with shows of a similar nature, i would need to be both blind and not to see otherwise.

In the event of some miracle that the show decides that not everyone needs too pass(or later at a similar event), then I take back everything I said. I get a better show so i don't loose anything by being wrong.

Then what is "collateral damage" to you? None of the characters we truly liked won the sports festival and the one who did win didn't get the win he wanted. Several students failed the previous exam where they had to fight the teachers and the training camp ended with several students critically injured, UA's reputation in shambles and one teacher losing her quirk completely. In fact, this first stage of the pro-licence exam is the first time in a long while where the entire class has succeeded in what they wanted to do.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Then what is "collateral damage" to you? None of the characters we truly liked won the sports festival and the one who did win didn't get the win he wanted. Several students failed the previous exam where they had to fight the teachers and the training camp ended with several students critically injured, UA's reputation in shambles and one teacher losing her quirk completely. In fact, this first stage of the pro-licence exam is the first time in a long while where the entire class has succeeded in what they wanted to do.

Not to mention, this exam isn’t over yet. If you guys aren’t aware, there’s an after-credits scene where the announcer states that “the second phase of the exam” is about to start. So there could still be a chance for some students to fail; I think it’s too early to jump to conclusions at the moment.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I agree with most of what johan.eriksson mentioned.

Based on the previous arcs I expected it to be a lot like the Sports Festival. I thought the Main players would pass, a few of the new characters introduced would make it to be the opponents in the next phase, but most would be eliminated since we're talking about 100 out of 1500.
Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki, and maybe a few more of class A-1 would be forced to team-up for whatever happened next, and even then a few more would get eliminated at some point.

But instead they had the entire A-1 pass phase 1.

I think that was done to showcase the overall growth of the entire class.
    Jiro and Kaminari got to show off their new equipment that better used their quirks.
    Todoroki, Kirishima and Koda all have new suits. No idea if they do anything, but there is still time to get to that.
    Hagakure showed off a new ability proving that she's more than just an invisible girl, she can actually bend light to blind others.
    Koda is more confidently using his quirk to control a huge flock of birds to distract and overwhelm.
    Mineta was the real MVP of the 9 as his quirk was key to restraining most of the other candidates so that A-1 could easily hit their targets.

So while some might see this as filler, I feel it really adds to the continual growth of all the students in the series. By doing it this way MHA avoids having to do what other series have done with sudden time-jumps and its now 3 months or 3 years later and secondary characters look completely different from before. It creates a more stable continuity.

Also the notion, that they will All pass because they are A-1 isn't exclusive to them alone.
Remember the entire 8-person class from Ketsubutsu also passed as a group, which shows that they too had Deku's plan in mind of working together to all pass. They don't even mention what other groups within the 60+ candidates who passed did so by working together. IIRC Inasa, Camie, and Todoroki were the only ones shown as passing solo.

However, now that we know that the next phase is about rescuing people I still think that not everyone will pass.
People like Bakugo, who have issues dealing with others, will definitely have problems rescuing normal people.
Others might find out that their quirks end up making situations worse and end up endangering the people in trouble.
There are probably some other factors that haven't been reveled yet that might end up eliminating members of class A-1
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Then what is "collateral damage" to you?
I guessed that if I said collateral damage, someone would argue that it wasn't, so I just added that aside, but I guess whatever I say someone is going to nitpick it Rolling Eyes

Only one person could win the sports festival, so that's really a null point. I actually agree on the teacher thing, i had forgotten that not everyone passed. Everyone who got hurt at the training camp got well pretty fast or was rescued. The schools reputation is not directly related to the students.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Then what is "collateral damage" to you?
I guessed that if I said collateral damage, someone would argue that it wasn't, so I just added that aside, but I guess whatever I say someone is going to nitpick it Rolling Eyes

Only one person could win the sports festival, so that's really a null point. I actually agree on the teacher thing, i had forgotten that not everyone passed. Everyone who got hurt at the training camp got well pretty fast or was rescued. The schools reputation is not directly related to the students.

Not sure how that is a nitpick. I get that you meant they overcome every challenge without losing anything, "leaving anyone behind" or suffering much negative consequences but the point still stands because they have done that and I don't see how you can't see it.

Only one could win, but it still wasn't any of the "likable" characters and Bakugou still didn't get any fulfillment out of it. And Deku all but harmed his standing in the community. Ragdoll would beg to differ about the recovery part, and Deku's mom would beg to differ about the school's reputation not affecting him.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how that is a nitpick. I get that you meant they overcome every challenge without losing anything, "leaving anyone behind" or suffering much negative consequences but the point still stands because they have done that and I don't see how you can't see it.

Only one could win, but it still wasn't any of the "likable" characters and Bakugou still didn't get any fulfillment out of it. And Deku all but harmed his standing in the community. Ragdoll would beg to differ about the recovery part, and Deku's mom would beg to differ about the school's reputation not affecting him.
Well going back to my original point, I just feel that this show would have benefited from someone failing, if not in the first test then in the upcoming part.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
If some members of Class 1-A would have failed the test, it would have given the audience more of a sense that Class 1-A may not make it through the rest of the exam. For example, if 1 or 2 members of class 1-A would have been eliminated before the ending rescue scene, there would have been a lot more tension because audience expectations would include instances of possible failure.

There's also the fact that Aizawa called this part of the exam 'the elimination of Class 1-A', and yet nobody from this Class 1-A was eliminated. Either this Class 1-A is the best Class 1-A in the history of Class 1-A, or Aizawa was stirring up drama for no reason.

I didn't mind Aoyama's sacrifice, but I would still appreciate it if Aoyama developed in a way that matured his powers beyond jokes and support actions. I don't know what that would look like, but I also don't want to see Aoyama cowering behind something in every arc.

well in the later volumesspoiler[, you MIGHT actually get your wish about aoyama after the overhaul arc.

however the real person that should get that development and not be declared a joke character or support character is mineta! having him in his full potential and not as a scaredy pervert trog all for the sake of a few laughs would be better for the series overall.]

and FYI! this is just a THEORY and an idea on what SHOULD happen. not that it would actually happen of course so its not exactly a spoiler!

{Edit}: Use spoiler tags when discussing source material. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or this arc was really disjointed and very boring. The character development to me was pretty weak for the side characters and the new characters were barely developed at all and seemed to have some pretty weak reasons for wanting to go at Class A. I'm definitely glad its over tbh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 81