• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Makes Kyoto Animation So Special?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I am glad to see someone finally and carefully explain some of the finer elements in animation craft that seem to get missed. I for one have appreciated these and get a little frustrated when I see others criticize a perfectly good show because it "was stupid" or some such. You try to explain why it was good from an artistic perspective and they respond as "who cares about that? still stupid".

In the same way graphics don't make a game, art doesn't make an anime. Someone can appreciate how well something looks but still not like what REALLY matters which is the characters, story, plot etc. You can't invalidate their argument like that. Whether people like it or not Kyoani does have a track record of including unnecessary silly "moe" moments even in shows that are supposed to be a lot more serious like "Beyond the Boundary" that sometimes mess with the tension. It's a legitimate critique. I personally don't usually mind that stuff since I've come to know what to expect from kyoani and do love their consistent quality but it's understandable that people wouldn't be sold by the looks of their shows alone.
kokodaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
Good article! I've read it till the end.
Before saying my thought about the article, i'd like to say that most of the comments say that the studio is succesful because people throw money on it. I'd say, why'd you even throw money if it won't feed your satisfaction? Let's say the studio excels on making likable, crush-target "moe" characters but "happily" they don't sexualize them because it's what "gentlemen" want nowadays. Imagine if you're an idol fan and one day they play a video where they show upskirts of your favourite idols, you'd be angry , aren't you?

ok back to the article. The author really hit the sack where the studio really excels. I'd say that the studio doesn't rely on "badass" weapons or really sophisticated character designs. Shonen nowadays want to just bring on spotlight "talented" "on-the-first-line" characters while KyoAni excels more on just relying on "secondary" characters. The author didn't notice that the animation studios relies "heavily" on real world places (AmaBuri park doesn't really exist on the real world but the city and scenery itself). They just want to say that "escaping" from reality isn't the way to forget things, why don't you just imagine your real world is connected to the animé world. KyoAni is really my all time favourite.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
Now if only K-On ever actually went anywhere or did anything with it's story.

The music of the first season was amazing. I wish there was more focus on the music and them as a band with other stuff more integrated with it. Because what's there is just great.

They couldn't ever have any significant romantic lives either. Lawd knows the insane otaku would lose it.

I guess i'm just disgruntled because i'm still mad about Beck only getting 1 season haha. Laughing
lemurs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Now if only K-On ever actually went anywhere or did anything with it's story.

Except that it does.

The very first thing seen is Yui's middle school graduation surrounded by friends. But now she's in high school and almost all those friends are gone. After an ambling, distracted trip to school, she's all by herself.

Then she stumbles into this after school club whose playing isn't very good but is desperate for another member to keep from being disbanded. Hijinks ensue as Yui's guitar talent goes from "nonexistent" to "adequate".

And at the end of the series, Yui retraces that first distracted trip to school. Only this time, she's got a guitar on her back and a purpose.

The show isn't about forming a successful band; in-universe, their after school club isn't a very good band (remembered more for being funny than being talented). It's about finding a place to fit in and belong.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Great article on why KyoAni is one of the best studios in the business. I admit, I'm not really into slice of life shows or shows mostly about cute girls but KyoAni's production values and attention to detail are impressive enough that I'm perfectly willing to watch their shows just for the visuals. Starting last year I've been trying to work my way through their catalog and my favorites so far are Haruhi, Kanon, and FMP:TSR. I thought Air and Lucky Star were alright, while Clannad (first season only) put me to sleep. I'll be catching up on K-On!, Nichijou, Amagi, etc. soon so my opinion'll probably change.

Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Nope hence why I said specializing is a sort of two way street. From what I remember hearing the team that handled FMP:TSR said they'd never want to do a mecha series again cause it was the hardest thing they've ever done and not really worth it financially in the long run. They just simply did not seem to enjoy doing that one.

That's a shame. I thought FMP:TSR was great both story and animation-wise. Really impressive in handling a "serious" action show for the first time. Also, it's still a great looking show. I've always wanted to see KyoAni apply their talents to a mecha show and I was not disappointed. Too bad it's probably not gonna happen again, oh well.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Nope hence why I said specializing is a sort of two way street. From what I remember hearing the team that handled FMP:TSR said they'd never want to do a mecha series again cause it was the hardest thing they've ever done and not really worth it financially in the long run. They just simply did not seem to enjoy doing that one.

That's a shame. I thought FMP:TSR was great both story and animation-wise. Really impressive in handling a "serious" action show for the first time. Also, it's still a great looking show. I've always wanted to see KyoAni apply their talents to a mecha show and I was not disappointed. Too bad it's probably not gonna happen again, oh well.

What gets cited is an exchange from director Yasuhiro Takemoto and author Shoji Gatou in the final "Hong Kong Location Scouting" commentary feature included in the TSR video releases in 2005-2006. Takemoto is later quoted in a Newtype/Dragon Magazine (I can't recall which at this moment) saying he'd love to animate more FMP. That later quote (which never got publicized in English) gets ignored constantly for people to favor the "KyoAni doesn't want to do FMP because they don't want to do mecha" argument.
BlurredVision18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
KyoAni has been my favorite studio for awhile now. And you nailed everything they do right in this article. When ever someone asks me what is some of the best animation in anime, I always end up talking about "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya". With the show being at a rather slow pace, the story is compelling, but what really draws in the viewer is attention to detail of the characters and their actions, as you mentioned, that draws you emotionally invested for Kyon and his dilemma, as well as build a gloomy atmosphere in contrast to the first 15 minutes of the show.

"Hibike! Euphonium" was a treat at providing wonderful atmosphere and detail to the characters emotions. Since you already talked about it, I want to highlight another show that I haven't seen mentioned yet. "Tamako Love Story". To be honest I am not a fan of "Tamako Market" at all really, but the movie was something else to behold. It was even more simplistic than the series, but the way the animation and direction was handled created a charming gem that drew it's viewer in just as much as the previous shows I mentioned. Here's an example of what made "Tamako Love Story" stand out so much more than it's respective series.

I had to remove the audio, PONYCAN blocked the vid only in the U.S. #RIP (also just did away with the subtitles as well) a bit of spoiler here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQV7U2F-gAk&feature=youtu.be

This scene does so many small but wonderful things in a short amount of time. First thing you recognize is the beautiful landscape and the way the sunset creates a nice glisten across the creek. It's subtle but there's also a bit of movement within the frame itself, as if it's being recorded by a very steady hand from the shore. Upon coming to the point of view of Mochizou, there is a brief second that Tamako moves out and back into focus as well as the same frame movement. As if again, a camcorder is being used to film the scene first hand. This is relevant to to Mochizou's hobby and the fact that he wants to study film making, which is the focus on the conflict at hand, going away to Tokyo to an arts school and leaving Tamako behind. We are then given a similar scene to the first, (this is where the nice music comes in to make the scene so charming) the background is out of focus bringing your attention to the pair, yet is still detailed enough to be noticed. Tamako sends of a nice little smile as she starts to talk about why she likes Mochi, as she reminisce about her mother in her thoughts. (her words describing mochi is a metaphor for how she feels about her mother) As the first memory passes, we come back to Tamako, no doubt with that same look on her face, but the frame is focused away from her mouth. Although she's thinking of happy memories, without the smile it's clear that there is also a bit of sorrow in her eyes. (water is still flowing and refection present out of focus, nice hair movement) The memories are nicely styled as if being shot by an 8mm camera, where they throw in a nice little frame jump that is relevant later in the story. A nice breeze flow through that creates a moment of silence, beauty, and tension ( spoiler[tension at least for Mochizou, that much is evident from his facial expressions as he works up the courage to confess to Tamako]). Then much of the same distance shots where they focus solely on the character. Until Tamako struggles to keep her balance, you'll notice that the somewhat surreal atmosphere created by the focus of the scene is absent. It then creates a bit of tension with the absence of music and framing only their lower bodies. The moment we see Mochizou squeeze Tamako's arm, we are aware what is about to happen, for Tamako it's the same (although she's unsure of what exactly), the expression on her face shows that she realizes something is up. As Mochizou speaks, the glisten in Tamako's eyes give off a sense of bewilderment by the sudden decision of Mochizou. The scene then creates a decent amount of suspense by not allowing us to see their faces until Mochizou drops the bomb. The absence of his eyes and body language is able to show how intense this moment is for him. It's easy to see the shock then embarrassment on Tamako's face as they nicely break the suspense in comedic fashion to help transition the scene.

I may have went over board with the description here, but I've seen the film a handful of times, so I began to notice all these little details that happen so fast, they aren't really noticed the first time. Yet they appeal to your subconscious. That makes a series more enjoyable the second and even third time you watch them. KyoAni are masters of making the viewer emotionally invested into the scenario before you even realize it. The brilliance shown during this charming little film was seemingly absent from the TV series.
Bin!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I know I'm late but I'm grateful to find this article which tells exactly what I love about Kyoani. Other than you've mentioned, I think KyoAni only relates to people with higher sensitivity with moods, atmosphere, or small details. In other words, KyoAni works aren't for everyone. I like KyoAni because I think it tells stories just like it is; almost realistic. I mean, if I like talking to someone, I might not talk so much; Maybe I would listen to them while clasping my hand altogether; or just sit in the edge of the cair~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7