• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
That said, there's no reason why cels couldn't be made purely for promotional purposes or for providing to project backers. I.e. don't actually use them for animation with a camera like in the old days, just make them to sell to fans or to give to high tier supporters. I don't know if that would be more labor than it would be worth or not so there may be reasons why it might be impractical, but just because cels aren't in use for animation anymore doesn't mean that they couldn't be used for promotion.

They used to do this for shows like Bleach and Naruto. They made several mass post production cels for both shows of most of the main characters. You can probably find a couple on auction sites now. I have one of Sasuke and it was fairly well made. Would recommend buying if you like any of those characters.

Rilezu were basically the same thing, just in more limited quantities. The couple I have from Hakuouki were really well made. Definitely worth what I paid for them when I bought them from the studio.

My guess is that they stopped making post-production and rilezu cels because there just wasn't much demand. Not many people want to pay $50 for a post production cel, let alone the usual $300+ that a rilezu would generally sell for.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

The vote with your money. Is also simple. but first is important to understand that you want to do one thing, through another. When you pay for something, you're not paying for the quality of the "work done" but for the quality of the "product". The best way to inform that you're liking Fujishima's work is not through money. But through other way of feedback. Sending letters to him and to all people related to the products he makes saying how much you liked his work on it is a way better way than money.

Perhaps it is my fault for poor word choice, but the goal is not to say "thank you". Rather the goal is to influcence what is being made. That decision is a business one. It lies with the people who hold the purse strings to fund new projects--i.e. people like production committee members. Sending fanmail is better than nothing, but ultimate nothing speaks louder than money.

Quote:
But like I said above is also simple. Just pay for the products that Fujishima has worked on. Soon or later people will understand that the reason of that is because of him, and he will get the reward for that.

Sure, and I already do things like that. The best I can think of, currently, is to buy Japanese releases, which I do. But the problem here is that the money is diluted. A lot of it ends up with middlemen rather than the decision makers. For example, if I were to buy an expensive statue from my favorite show then relatively little of that money makes it back to the person who made the decision to greenlight that show. Most of it ends up spread around a variety of businesses who aren't involved in that criticial decision. Most of it ends up going to the toy company, whose alogorithm is not the same as mine. I want more shows from creator X. The toy company just makes toys for whatever shows happen to be popular at the moment. Those are not congruent goals.

Quote:
The put some money in the pockets of the people doing the grunt work. That is already being made. In the worst case they are being deceived by their employers, but if that was so widespread it would already been stopped, from the own animators, audience and Government.
Is just a fact that what they produce cost a lot more to make than what is worth.
Again unless you're talking of charity, they shouldn't in any way receive more than what they produce is worth.

I think the problem is that this is largely subjective. For example, there are various shows that I own on physical media. A lot of them I thought were a killer bargain. I'd gladly pay more money for it, but I really don't have the option to. I feel an awful lot of their work is undervalued.

Quote:

And so again the solution is the same as what I said before. Make more of they already do or do things with more value.
Note that doing more of what they already do isn't just about spending more time. Is about they being more efficient in their work and even about getting new technology/technique that increases the productivity.

That sounds like it was quoted out of an economics textbook, and I'm not sure that is even possible. It is very idealistic, and from what little I know of the industry from Justin's articles, it's also very impractical. Don't you feel that if there were ways to work appreciably harder or smarter it wouldn't it already have been done in such a highly competitive industry?
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
TheArsonAut wrote:
The picture is so grainy it's like watching a DVD from the 80's

...So... Which one do you think this is guys? "Kids these days don't even know what 'VHS' was." or "Kids these days don't even know a 'LaserDisc' was."?

If I had to guess, they're referencing the anime bootleg DVD sets because the packaging on those looked fresh out of the 80s, and they tried packing like 12 episodes per disk so the quality was hot booty?

Even if they mean VHS/LD though, the subbed anime that was often available for those formats were typically fanmade and copies of copies of copies of copies. To even compare the lowest resolution streams on CR to the quality on those (or even the 12 ep per disk bootlegs) is completely disingenuous.

Last edited by Animegunclub on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
You're not thinking outside the box enough. They could have used that money for literally anything else. Donate it all to Trigger's patreon. Use it to buy a ton of figures and other merchandise and do a giveaway, raffle, or something. The money doesn't have to specifically be used for licensing. Hell, donate it to a random Japanese charity. It'd have definitely done more good there

Like many of us, I buy a lot of anime-related stuff, which my employers would probably take one look at before disparaging that I "could have used that money for literally anything else"... but the people who paid me the money I spent on this stuff didn't give it to me with the expectation that I would use all of it to improve the quality of work that I do for them. They didn't give it to me expecting that I would use it to do the most "good". They gave it to me because they were happy with the work I did for them. They'll continue to give it to me because they like my quality of work, regardless of whether I spend my paychecks on Action Heroine Cheer Fruits Blurays that they (presumably) wouldn't want to come over to my house and watch with me.

Similarly, the people who have given Crunchyroll money gave it to them in exchange for the ability to stream anime. Sure, maybe their webplayer isn't great, and maybe they license a lot of stuff that only appeals to die-hard Japanese audiences who will literally watch every single Help, I Got Hit by a Pop Tarts Delivery Truck, Reincarnated as a Toaster Strudel, and Enrolled in a High School for Lycanthropes who Crave Strawberry Filling, and now Buxomly Werewolf Schoolgirls Want to Take a Bite of Me! light novel adaptation. If that bothers you, and you aren't happy with the quality of the streaming or the quality of the anime, then fine, don't give them any more money... but to decide that you aren't going to give them any more money based on how they choose to spend the money you gave them seems ridiculous to me.

They don't need to invest that money in something that benefits their current customers if they don't want to. In fact, it's probably better for them as a company to invest the money in stuff that appeals to people who don't already give them money. (I mean, what are you going to do if they license twice the amount of shows they currently do... buy twice as many monthly subscriptions?)

It isn't your money anymore. It's Crunchyroll's money. Let them spend it on what they want, even if you think it's a waste.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

They used to do this for shows like Bleach and Naruto. They made several mass post production cels for both shows of most of the main characters. You can probably find a couple on auction sites now. I have one of Sasuke and it was fairly well made. Would recommend buying if you like any of those characters.

Rilezu were basically the same thing, just in more limited quantities. The couple I have from Hakuouki were really well made. Definitely worth what I paid for them when I bought them from the studio.

My guess is that they stopped making post-production and rilezu cels because there just wasn't much demand. Not many people want to pay $50 for a post production cel, let alone the usual $300+ that a rilezu would generally sell for.

I'm familar, though not by name When I got into anime in the 90's shows were still being made with cels, and cels were often bought and sold by fans. Around the same time I saw what were called "Sericells" being sold in the US. They looked like cels but were not used for actual animation. Basically they were a limited-edition collector's product. They sold for less than genuine cels, so I guess you could buy one of those if you couldn't get your hands on a real cel from your favorite show? I think they might have been made by Pioneer? Then again we're talking 20 years ago so my memory of that isn't the greatest, and honestly I looked down on them as being "fake" compared to a cel that was used in the actual production of a show. Of course the problem with real production cels is that there were relatively few that were really nice. For any given show most of them were very simplistic, or might not be all that interesting: i.e. they'd show only part of a character, or something like that. A really desireable cel that featured a popular character in a good pose could sell for a lot of money, no pun indended.

Anyway, there's no reason something similar could not be resurrected as rewards for funders.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Help, I Got Hit by a Pop Tarts Delivery Truck, Reincarnated as a Toaster Strudel, and Enrolled in a High School for Lycanthropes who Crave Strawberry Filling, and now Buxomly Werewolf Schoolgirls Want to Take a Bite of Me!

I'd watch this JUST to figure out how Kellogs and Pillsbury managed to mutually agree on this branding scheme.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Perhaps it is my fault for poor word choice, but the goal is not to say "thank you". Rather the goal is to influcence what is being made. That decision is a business one. It lies with the people who hold the purse strings to fund new projects--i.e. people like production committee members. Sending fanmail is better than nothing, but ultimate nothing speaks louder than money.

You're a little misguided. While nothing speaks louder than money, money doesn't has to speak your intention.

Like I said paying for a product you're only sending a message for that product. That is worth the value placed on it for you.
If you want to send a more specific message, that you like an animator work or a certain characteristic in the product, you have to give that specific feedback explicitly.
Sending a letter was just an example. Another one is signature event, that normaly books have, in their not only you buy the book, but you also can talk a little to the author.
What I'm saying is that you have to directly express that sentiment to the people that made the work. For a producer receiving your money, doesn't tell him anything about the fact that you send it because of animator A, but something like a letter saying that you loved the anime because of animator A and that was the reason why you bought the series and that you will continue to buy products with animator A involvemet, does.

Shiflan wrote:

Sure, and I already do things like that. The best I can think of, currently, is to buy Japanese releases, which I do. But the problem here is that the money is diluted. A lot of it ends up with middlemen rather than the decision makers. For example, if I were to buy an expensive statue from my favorite show then relatively little of that money makes it back to the person who made the decision to greenlight that show. Most of it ends up spread around a variety of businesses who aren't involved in that criticial decision. Most of it ends up going to the toy company, whose alogorithm is not the same as mine. I want more shows from creator X. The toy company just makes toys for whatever shows happen to be popular at the moment. Those are not congruent goals.

Because what you're paying is not "the work done" but the "product" that in this case is a Statue.
Again, just sending money tells little, when what you want is being specific. Continue to buy the things, but also find other ways to inform the relevant people.

Shiflan wrote:

I think the problem is that this is largely subjective. For example, there are various shows that I own on physical media. A lot of them I thought were a killer bargain. I'd gladly pay more money for it, but I really don't have the option to. I feel an awful lot of their work is undervalued.

Is in no way subjective. And you in fact have the option to pay more money for something. You just don't take the extra effort of finding a way to donate money to the people that made the work. Note, Nobody rejects a donation. Certainly no profit based Company.
Find the phone or the address of the company and call or send an email and find a way to do your donation.
The question is. Was the series worth the effort that it will cost you to be able to do the donation?

What do you mean by undervalue? People love to use that word, but what does it mean? That their work could be valued higher? Well any work can be value higher, in fact you could value anything at any value. What matter is not what "could", but what "Is".
The fact is that drawing take to much time and effort, but is used/consumed at little value. You can wish for that fact to be different, but wishing doesn't change reality.

Note that this fact has been like this since the first TV anime was made. Nope, since the first animated work was made. Till today, even with advances in technology and techniques, that hasn't changed for most part.

Shiflan wrote:

That sounds like it was quoted out of an economics textbook, and I'm not sure that is even possible. It is very idealistic, and from what little I know of the industry from Justin's articles, it's also very impractical. Don't you feel that if there were ways to work appreciably harder or smarter it wouldn't it already have been done in such a highly competitive industry?

Is not idealistic at all. Is the only way!
In fact animators are doing this every day. In fact that is the way to get promotions(A promotion is basically you going to make things that create more value).
Note, is not about working harder or smarter(though you can do those), is about working better.

In general companies are always looking for new techniques and technologies to be more efficient. That is the reason why anime has been using more and more 3D. And the reason why they moved from Cel to Digital.
Advances on those things are frequently happening, but the thing is that what is gained isn't as incredible as the audience would like. At least not for now, but be sure that in the past animators were doing way worse than what they are doing today.

Also note that as an audience, you can't be asking for more "quality" and expecting animators to earn more also. Asking for more "quality" in fact means, devaluing the "animator" work.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Digibro saw this and posted a vid. Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It sounds like Digibro's whole approach is just him trying to justify piracy. Download a bunch of anime illegally, then throw a couple of bucks into the production company's paetron to make yourself feel better about it. How incredibly self-absorbed.

Basically, the discussion about Crunchyroll vs. "I can go on the pirate sites and get it myself!" sooner or later boils down to the discussion of whether CR, or Netflix, or Amazon, is helping fund the anime production, and that's why it's better, etc.
Which is a pretty big red flag that at least one of the participants in the discussion has no real concept of how CR or Netflix or Amazon work in the first place, and is primarily interested in Where Can He Get His Stuff, Cheap, and if he can't get it on the street, he'll try to get it in the back alleys.

The whole "Entitlement" argument of blaming the service for its shows dates all the way back to when Netflix first went streaming with movies and TV shows eight years ago:
People literally DID NOT KNOW that Netflix was licensing their BBC shows and Disney movies from other third-party stream sources, and we had what became known as the "Keebler Elves" complaint, from fans who thought Netflix was busy digitizing their entire disk catalog in the back room of a hollow tree: "Why won't Netflix release my favorite series, they've got it on disk! Maybe if we started a petition?..."
No doubt some of the less discerning Crunchyroll viewers still think that every time a rare Discotek acquisition shows up on CR.

Quote:
I mean, he's right that there's a lot of bad anime on Crunchyroll, but that's because there's always been a lot of bad anime. But in the past, we never saw most of the bad shows, because only the good (or at least popular) stuff would get translated. Nowadays, almost every show ends up on a streaming service, so western fans get the full lineup of each anime season as it airs in Japan: and surprise, just like every season of western TV, a lot of it is terrible. That's not Crunchyroll's fault and it wouldn't stop if Crunchyroll somehow magically vanished (and High Guardian Spice isn't to blame either.)

And before CR, in the DVD days, we didn't see a lot of the currently-airing bad anime that didn't make the cut because US companies didn't buy it.
Until the 00's Bubble...And then, with no real clue and on the advice of overeager Japanese licensors, they bought everything. And drowned us with it. It didn't sell, it crippled the companies, it antagonized mainstream retail into banishing it off their shelves, and nearly singlehandedly killed anime in the US for several years.
Until Crunchyroll went legit, along with Funi, and created streaming anime.

The reason we're getting, quote, "so much bad new anime" on Crunchyroll, and not so much of the "classics", is exactly what those Bubble-era companies thought they were giving us, without the damage: We are getting Everything. This time, however, we don't have to pay as much for it, and we don't have to beg and plead Best Buy to sell it for us. We can simply Watch, or Not. (Notice I said we didn't have to pay for it at all, since I still have a CR Premium subscription to watch it.)
They're showing us almost every new airing series, just because they can--just tack on the subs and put it up the next day--and leaving it up to us to decide which ones are watchable. If a Cells at Work or Free! or My Hero Academia suddenly breaks out with cult popularity, and demonstrates that it might eventually sell well on disk, well, there ya go...If another series doesn't, well, that too saves a lot of time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@Ashley Hakker and @BodaciousSpacePirate: Being a stickler for grammar, I think it should be titled like this: Help! I Got Hit by a Pop-Tarts® Delivery Truck, was Reincarnated as a Toaster Strudel™, and then I was Enrolled in a High School for Lycanthropes who Crave Strawberry Filling. Now, Buxomly Werewolf Schoolgirls Want to Take a Bite of Me!

The questions to consider: When will this show air? Who will play the best girl in a simuldub? How many volumes the LN have? Will J-Novel Club license the LN series?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

You're a little misguided. While nothing speaks louder than money, money doesn't has to speak your intention.

Like I said paying for a product you're only sending a message for that product. That is worth the value placed on it for you.
If you want to send a more specific message, that you like an animator work or a certain characteristic in the product, you have to give that specific feedback explicitly.
Sending a letter was just an example. Another one is signature event, that normaly books have, in their not only you buy the book, but you also can talk a little to the author.
What I'm saying is that you have to directly express that sentiment to the people that made the work. For a producer receiving your money, doesn't tell him anything about the fact that you send it because of animator A, but something like a letter saying that you loved the anime because of animator A and that was the reason why you bought the series and that you will continue to buy products with animator A involvemet, does.

I understand you now, I think. My point wasn't to thank authors or artists, it was to encourage more of the shows I like. Getting the point to the producer like I italicized above sounds great. I concur 100%.

Quote:
Is in no way subjective.

Sure it is. Some people (myself included) were happy to pay insane rental-tier prices for Japanese releases back in the day. A lot of people thought those prices were insane. On the other end of the spectrum, there are people who pirate shows despite a CR (or whatever) costing a paltry amount. Somewhere in the middle lies modern DVD/Blu-ray pricing, which many people buy and many others reject. If that isn't "subjective valuation" I don't know what is.

Quote:
And you in fact have the option to pay more money for something. You just don't take the extra effort of finding a way to donate money to the people that made the work. Note, Nobody rejects a donation. Certainly no profit based Company.
Find the phone or the address of the company and call or send an email and find a way to do your donation.

Yes, that can be done. But why not make it easier? That sort of thing is exactly what Patreon is for.

Quote:

What do you mean by undervalue? People love to use that word, but what does it mean? That their work could be valued higher? Well any work can be value higher, in fact you could value anything at any value.

Exactly. That's what I mean by subjective.

Quote:
What matter is not what "could", but what "Is".
The fact is that drawing take to much time and effort, but is used/consumed at little value. You can wish for that fact to be different, but wishing doesn't change reality.

Donations, for example, can change things.

Quote:
In general companies are always looking for new techniques and technologies to be more efficient. That is the reason why anime has been using more and more 3D. And the reason why they moved from Cel to Digital.
Advances on those things are frequently happening, but the thing is that what is gained isn't as incredible as the audience would like. At least not for now, but be sure that in the past animators were doing way worse than what they are doing today.

Right, we agree that they are already pushing the boundries of efficiency and corner-cutting. So where is this theoretically room for animators to improve if the efficiency is alreay being strained to near the breaking point?

Quote:
Also note that as an audience, you can't be asking for more "quality" and expecting animators to earn more also. Asking for more "quality" in fact means, devaluing the "animator" work.

Sure we can. For example, we could ask for:
-higher wages
-more man-hours to be devoted to each title, thereby improving quality

Of course that would make production costs go up. I can't speak for everyone, but I would be happy to pay. Alas, I don't really get to make that decision directly. And I'm sure that some people would make the opposite decision. I care about quality more than my wallet; I don't doubt many people have the opposite opinion.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
This is the age old fallacy that throwing money at something makes it better.

You hear this a lot when it comes to video games, especially MMOs. Players might defend cash shops saying "it is giving the devs more money to work with." But, no... no it is not. You're giving your money to the publisher. The devs make their own wages and regardless of how much money you throw at the game, it doesn't change their earnings nor does it impact the quality of the game.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Ashley Hakker and @BodaciousSpacePirate: Being a stickler for grammar, I think it should be titled like this: Help! I Got Hit by a Pop-Tarts® Delivery Truck, was Reincarnated as a Toaster Strudel™, and then I was Enrolled in a High School for Lycanthropes who Crave Strawberry Filling. Now, Buxomly Werewolf Schoolgirls Want to Take a Bite of Me!

The questions to consider: When will this show air? Who will play the best girl in a simuldub? How many volumes the LN have? Will J-Novel Club license the LN series?

Keep your best girls. Poptarts Truck is my husbando. <3
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted. High Guardian Spice is off-topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BodaciousSpacePirate"]
Chester McCool wrote:

Help, I Got Hit by a Pop Tarts Delivery Truck, Reincarnated as a Toaster Strudel, and Enrolled in a High School for Lycanthropes who Crave Strawberry Filling, and now Buxomly Werewolf Schoolgirls Want to Take a Bite of Me! light novel adaptation.

You win this thread. GAME OVER Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11