• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kind've surprised they canceled it. I thought it was pretty unambiguously bad -- though, maybe with a sort of not-actually-Bebop-and-not-Bebop-quality-but-still-salvageable core chemistry, if they could have figured out how to make Vicious less goofy -- but with all the crowing about its viewing numbers, and the sort of mixed rather than decisively brutal reception it got, I thought it might limp along to a season 2. Probably would've watched it, too, just out've curiosity.
morisato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kind of glad they canceled it. The show was just totally cringe. It started out fine, until Valentine showed up and then there was Ed. I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of the two. Spike and Jet were okay, but, the rest of it? Sheesh. They needed to spend more time on developing it. I didn't have a problem with Valentine, her figure or her uniform. It was just the atrocious dialogue. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes when she said "welcome to the ouch". Thing is? I love the anime.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I think the elephant in the room in this case would be the strange and bizarre admiration the Japanese have for Hollywood, and especially the love/hate relationship they have with Americans.

Even if we leave aside the economic reasons, I, who live in Mexico, a country that also has the same love-hate relationship with the U.S., for more than obvious reasons, find it more than bizarre that the Japanese are more than willing to let the Americans trample on their works, as in this case.

Would it be a reverse version of wanting to be great in America, even if it means that their dignity and their works are trampled all over?

And I say this because, unlike the Japanese, Mexican media owners have no interest or desire for Hollywood to make movies based on Mexican franchises, precisely for that reason.

And the same goes for other countries or authors, who do not want Hollywood to make bad remakes of their movies, as it happened with the American attempt to remake Metro 2033, where the author of the novel clearly rejected the Americanization of the novel's story, and preferred not to allow a movie than to have his story altered by Hollywood.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Shawn Shaolin wrote:
I thought the show was good. It was different. It was new. It tried new things.

I'm not really sure what new things they tried. All of it was them taking the skeleton of Bebop and making it as generic as possible and injecting bad attempts at quippy Joss Whedon humor.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh... well that's a bummer
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'm just waiting for another of Daniella Pineda's arrogant, passive-agressive, "not taking people seriously" video responses lol
Varkias

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show as a remix. Was it cheesy? Yes, but I also had fun with it.

It was better than a lot of (live action) genre shows, many of which managed to surprisingly last multiple seasons... My guess is that the budget was just more prohibitive... or possibly selling a show for syndication has the possibility of being more profitable? I wonder how well the show would have done on, say, Syfy? (Although that would have required a lot less profanity. lol)
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has become a cursed place for anime adaptations.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:

My big worry is studios will not try to create anymore live actions adaptions of anime because they worry they'll be dammed if they do dammed if they don't for trying to create an adaption of a source.

With the Japanese and Hollywood aesthetics so far apart, it seems a bad idea for Hollywood to make live action anime adaptations, and if they do such adaptations should only be expected to primarily appeal to a typical Hollywood audience and not much of the original anime audience.

andramus wrote:

A question I've been pondering is why does anything get adapted into other mediums? Why do I want to see the content I like adapted?

Some of the best anime is adaptations; e.g., would we want to miss out on the (2019-2021) Fruits Basket anime just due to a prejudice against adaptations?

luisedgarf wrote:

I think the elephant in the room in this case would be the strange and bizarre admiration the Japanese have for Hollywood, and especially the love/hate relationship they have with Americans.

I find it odd that the Japanese go in for things such as 1950s pop music and baseball, which are far from the best things to come out of the USA. The number of macaronic* Japanese/English J-Pop songs (particularly those used for anime OP and ED) is also surprising.

*Macaronic: Of or involving a mixture of two or more languages.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Actually, in situations like this, the actors and actresses do deserve some blame. They could have easily said "No" to the project.

No, what the fudge? Blaming the actors for the bad writing, action, CGI, and everything else is like blaming the cashier at Walmart for the company not paying their employees enough. It's true that nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them into this job, but just showing up and doing the job they were hired to do doesn't mean they're to blame for the overall project being garbage.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
They made it so... unlikable. I'm not surprised that it didn't have any legs. It felt like they didn't really understand what made the anime so well-received, or maybe they just felt like they couldn't capture that and tried to find something else? I don't know... they did try to have their cake and eat it, too, though, and that rarely works out.

It wasn't a terrible show, IMO, but I wouldn't call it good, either. More like... it had moments where it was good, but never a moment where I felt it was great. Being, at best, mediocre was probably the nail that did it in.

BTW, I don't blame the actors for this. I felt that they all did pretty well with what they were given. I think the show's real issues were on a deeper, more conceptual level.

If they'd shown another season, I would've watched it, but not with any real enthusiasm. But now that's not going to happen.

See you Space Cowboy.

I agree with what you wrote. As one of the few people who wanted it to succeed, there was a lot wrong with it. I especially disliked their version of Fey among other choices in the writing. I was willing to give it another season but as you can see.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Probably nobody on this thread can answer this question, but what was the economic imperative to remove the show?

It was a crap version of Cowboy Bebop, but, as a standalone property, it was far better than a lot of the crap on Netflix, so why remove it instead of leaving it there to catch any errant eyeballs?

The cost of streaming it is next to zero, so it is not an operational cost and ratings have no effect on a streaming service, so that can't be it either. Do creators/producers/etc. get a residual when their shows are run (their licenses are fixed term (as far as I know), but since this was their own show, I assumed it had no limits)? I am just trying to figure out why they cancelled/removed it rather than just leaving it there as a viewing option.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
I am just trying to figure out why they cancelled/removed it rather than just leaving it there as a viewing option.

They didn’t remove it, it’s still there. Being cancelled just means that they aren’t going to be making any more. What’s already done is staying there, but they aren’t doing a second season.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
Probably nobody on this thread can answer this question, but what was the economic imperative to remove the show?

It was a crap version of Cowboy Bebop, but, as a standalone property, it was far better than a lot of the crap on Netflix, so why remove it instead of leaving it there to catch any errant eyeballs?

The cost of streaming it is next to zero, so it is not an operational cost and ratings have no effect on a streaming service, so that can't be it either. Do creators/producers/etc. get a residual when their shows are run (their licenses are fixed term (as far as I know), but since this was their own show, I assumed it had no limits)? I am just trying to figure out why they cancelled/removed it rather than just leaving it there as a viewing option.

It's not being removed. It just wasn't extended.
People can call it being canceled because that's easier, but the show never had a 2 season guarentee. The Director and Writers here pandered for a second season before it was greenlit and that was the problem.

Between what it already cost and the overwhelmingly negative reception Netflix probably judged that it wasn't worth investing in another season and that'd be before Sunrise had their say on the project being original license holders.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:33 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Even if we leave aside the economic reasons, I, who live in Mexico, a country that also has the same love-hate relationship with the U.S., for more than obvious reasons, find it more than bizarre that the Japanese are more than willing to let the Americans trample on their works, as in this case.

Would it be a reverse version of wanting to be great in America, even if it means that their dignity and their works are trampled all over?

And I say this because, unlike the Japanese, Mexican media owners have no interest or desire for Hollywood to make movies based on Mexican franchises, precisely for that reason.

And the same goes for other countries or authors, who do not want Hollywood to make bad remakes of their movies, as it happened with the American attempt to remake Metro 2033, where the author of the novel clearly rejected the Americanization of the novel's story, and preferred not to allow a movie than to have his story altered by Hollywood.

And yet there's plenty of creators like the author of the Witcher novels and the Sandman comics that are perfectly fine with Hollywood adaptions that fly in the face of their vision. For every person with deep passion and reverence for their own work, there's a hundred more willing to make compromises for the sake of either spreading their name, sharing their work with a larger audience, or just a paycheck. In cases like this, I can see why mangaka and anime creators do not care. This is an American show for American audiences. Most people in Japan are not going to pay it much mind, and if they do, they can easily write it off as a foreign adaption with no baring on them. It's not going to change the perception of the property in Japan itself, which is the main market they care about. It's like asking why Naoko Takeuchi didn't go on a crusade to stop DIC from changing Zoicite to a woman, or Haruka and Michiru into cousins. Or any other edits we see in American versions of manga and anime. Those changes aren't going to affect their audience in Japan. Most wont even know about them because there's no reason for Japan to watch American versions of their own shows any more than Americans watch the German dub of Spongebob.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9