• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Slayers Revolution, Evolution-R Fantasy Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Michi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Haha oh wow. Enjoy your wait if you like being legit then. I'll bet they'll release it in singles too.

Have you not paid attention to how Funi has been running these days? They licensed Ouran and are releasing it in two boxsets that cover the entire series, not singles. Meaning Slayers Revolution would be one set, and Evolution-R would be another. I think the only singles they're really doing are for the titles they rescued from other companies and finished releases for, like Kanon.

Regardless, the digital release comes out next year so there won't be that much waiting. Next year is in just a couple of days, folks. Smile

Why yes, I have. They're also releasing singles for Claymore and Darker than Black, which are titles that are just as big as Ouran, so your argument in invalid.

Uh...Aquarion, Ghost Hunt, and several others have gotten the half-series treatments and were released in fairly short order.

And you know that your precious fansubs are technically illegal now that the hold the Slayers license, yeah?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Michi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Haha oh wow. Enjoy your wait if you like being legit then. I'll bet they'll release it in singles too.

Have you not paid attention to how Funi has been running these days? They licensed Ouran and are releasing it in two boxsets that cover the entire series, not singles. Meaning Slayers Revolution would be one set, and Evolution-R would be another. I think the only singles they're really doing are for the titles they rescued from other companies and finished releases for, like Kanon.

Regardless, the digital release comes out next year so there won't be that much waiting. Next year is in just a couple of days, folks. Smile

Why yes, I have. They're also releasing singles for Claymore and Darker than Black, which are titles that are just as big as Ouran, so your argument in invalid.

Uh...Aquarion, Ghost Hunt, and several others have gotten the half-series treatments and were released in fairly short order.

And you know that your precious fansubs are technically illegal now that the hold the Slayers license, yeah?

I knew they were illegal to begin with when I downloaded them. Do you think moral or ethical "righteousness" is going to stop anyone from stealing stuff online? Also, xxxHolic and Baccano can be added to my list.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Ugh I apparently got my hopes up for no reason. Neither Seto or Spice. I have no interest in any of these shows(except Count maybe) and the others I already have. The only way this event could be any worse for me is no Soul eater or Eva.

Assuming the pricing is reasonable their are good extras, the Eva movie would be worth looking into. Though I wonder if it'd just be better to wait until all 4 movies are out.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
What you do is YOUR business, but the anime industry IS taking a heavy blow from unscrupulous types who feel they're owed shows for free.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
What you do is YOUR business, but the anime industry IS taking a heavy blow from unscrupulous types who feel they're owed shows for free.

Some people might buy the shows because they've already seen it. The age of just blindly buying shows is over, because there's too much anime. This is why streaming is an incredibly viable option and has worked massively well for all the networks putting their stuff on hulu and joost.

Though I imagine the biggest thing isn't getting the show for free, it's being able to see it concurrently to when the Japanese do.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Though I imagine the biggest thing isn't getting the show for free, it's being able to see it concurrently to when the Japanese do.

Why is this so important anyway? I never really understood the seemingly unquenchable need to see anime shows 2 seconds after they air in Japan.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Too true about "blindly" going into stuff. I, and a lot of other people, read reviews/do research before going into something they might not like. This is why my collection mostly consists of solid or masterwork titles, because I don't want to invest something that's going to be a waste of my time and money.

I can sorta understand wanting to see the show ASAP, but you know how those C&D letters can stop a show that's still airing from getting the rest of its subs. It's a tricky bit of legal wrangling, and unfortunately there's no simple answer.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Why is this so important anyway? I never really understood the seemingly unquenchable need to see anime shows 2 seconds after they air in Japan.

Because the internet allows us to. That's mostly the biggest reason I can come up with. Every form of media needs to find some way to cope, but that's the reality.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Can anybody give me even a vague idea of how long it takes to dub a series, and maybe a little bit of what might be involved? I know it's a somewhat broad question, but it's seems likely that FUNimation will post the dub online, unless they can manage to get the streaming rights for this Slayers series. Hence, the reason for my question. Also, if they can get streaming rights for subtitles, what might the odds be for seeing Revoltion and Evolution-R being released online at the same time?

As for how the series will be released, I would say box sets in this instance. It seems to make sense to sell Revolution and Evolution-R as two separate sets rather than a lot of singles. It's much less awkward than singles would be, with cleaner divisions.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
You'd make a great evil scientist, walw6pK4Alo.

Good guy: Why are you doing this?
walw6pK4Alo: Because I can!

And by great, I meant stereotypical and shallow.
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Yay.

Have the first three seasons on funimation DVD. Imported them from the US- season 1 is finally being released over here (UK). £10 for 6 episodes, compared to £18 for a whole series imported from the US.

Looks like it'll be another year until I can see episode 6 of revolution, but it'll be nice to have all of slayers on DVD. Now to get the first film, and one of the OVA sets Razz
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Symmetrical_Magician wrote:
Can anybody give me even a vague idea of how long it takes to dub a series, and maybe a little bit of what might be involved? I know it's a somewhat broad question, but it's seems likely that FUNimation will post the dub online, unless they can manage to get the streaming rights for this Slayers series. Hence, the reason for my question. Also, if they can get streaming rights for subtitles, what might the odds be for seeing Revoltion and Evolution-R being released online at the same time?

As for how the series will be released, I would say box sets in this instance. It seems to make sense to sell Revolution and Evolution-R as two separate sets rather than a lot of singles. It's much less awkward than singles would be, with cleaner divisions.

The usual time seems to be a year to two at minimum. So...that's why the projected 2010 date.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You'd make a great evil scientist, walw6pK4Alo.

Good guy: Why are you doing this?
walw6pK4Alo: Because I can!

And by great, I meant stereotypical and shallow.

What! You can't deny that amazing defense Anime hyper

The amount of time it takes to dub a series varies I think. It moves faster If the show is on tv or if it's a title that many people were anticipating and want out quickly or if it's a collaboration with the japanese companies for simultaneous release but a show like this where it's not really a top priority and there are things that need to get out first then it will probably take a bit longer.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed something -- why are both shows only half-season series? why not combine them into ONE season rather than spreading out production?
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Okay, thanks. That about what I was expecting, but I figured asking wouldn't hurt. Ah, well...

It said in the article they were planned to be one series with a production break. I don't know how long that break would have been, but maybe they thought the length was enough that they should just split it, and sell it as two separate things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7