• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I've already described which versions I've seen. Granted, it has been a while and my memory isn't the best, but you don't need to trouble yourself with describing anything in detail. Kirito's OPness has been widely commented on, it's not some kind of fringe opinion. Why do you suppose so many people feel that way? Are we all just deluded?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the naysayers are "deluded"...but I DO think you guys like to exaggerate.

A lot.

Like "they never break a sweat" thing just isn't true...if you actually watch the show.

I mean if Kirito is so "OP"....how is it that he's never managed to win a major battle all by himself?
Someone has always been there to help him or save him and he may finish off his enemy with a Last Attack (so he can snatch the bonus for that which is one of his goofy obsessions in the novels that Asuna calls him out for and it's quite amusing).

I've said this before but it's been a while so I'll say it again; if Kirito didn't have his GF or any of his friends to back him up or take a hit for him, he'd have died in the series at LEAST three or four times...with certainty.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
Chiibi, you are probably forcing me to rewatch SAO first season again just to point out all the examples of Kirito's OPness. Perhaps this was your evil plan all along???
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
Chiibi Wrote:
Quote:
I mean if Kirito is so "OP"....how is it that he's never managed to win a major battle all by himself?

It is the same thing in The Irregular at Magic High School. People go on and on about how OP Tatsuya is, and he is powerful. However with every major battle he is supported by a team of fellow students who's abilities supplement his. I think this is related to all the color coded hero teams we see in Japanese media. There seems to be a basic idea that you can't or shouldn't try to do important stuff without the help of a team.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
SAO is one of my all time fav anime (season 1) and I like Kirito but they do kinda supercharge him through levels. Part of the issue is they just skip him ahead leaving the impression that he’s easily killed almost everything. If they’d stretched it out another 12 ep they could have had him actually show progression through challenging fights. He does have some challenges like a few minutes with the PK guild but not enough..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
See, Chiibi??? Even InfiniteJest has (basically) just said you don't know your butt from your elbow!!! I mean, I didn't expect him to be so scathing in his denunciation of your views, but... (hee-hee-hee)
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah I’m just harsh that way… Evil or Very Mad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
See, Chiibi??? Even InfiniteJest has (basically) just said you don't know your butt from your elbow!!! I mean, I didn't expect him to be so scathing in his denunciation of your views, but... (hee-hee-hee)

Nothing I said was wrong. Kirito needs help during every boss fight. But A-1 does make some poor choices in cutting out how he makes progress.

Quote:
Chiibi, you are probably forcing me to rewatch SAO first season again just to point out all the examples of Kirito's OPness. Perhaps this was your evil plan all along???

I'm certain I have no idea what you're talking about, sir.
Cool

The only moment in SAO season 1 that felt like OP BS to me was when he made Yui into a Game object. xD That was never explained, not even in the novel. It is DUMB. Rolling Eyes

Alan45 wrote:
I think this is related to all the color coded hero teams we see in Japanese media. There seems to be a basic idea that you can't or shouldn't try to do important stuff without the help of a team.

While you make a good point, series like Eminence in Shadow sure did shatter this trend to pieces. Laughing (and yes, I love Cid too)

I really wish that A-1 allowed the anime to be a bit more funnier like the novels.
For one delightful example,
spoiler[Asuna asks Kirito if anyone ever tried to climb up the sides of the pillars that hold Aincrad together so they wouldn't have to fight on each floor (basically cheat)
He says; "Yes, I tried it myself....but a loud alarm goes off and I almost fell to my death."
Asuna: "WHAT THE HECK. THAT'S SO STUPID!!!???]

Me: *dies laughing*
Laughing
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
New York dubs are overhated
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
New York dubs are overhated

Agreed for the uncut ones. At worst they're a little stilted but nothing godawful. At best they're historically relevant with beautifully rendered English covers of Japanese songs. That's not even mentioning that a lot of their dubs nailed humor in ways that were rare for anime of that time. Captain Tylor and Slayers are among my favorite English dubs regardless of the Era.
HoneyAlice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:26 am Reply with quote
My opinion is that Naruto is not pop, but a classic.
And also the fact that anime fans are very creative and interesting in everyday life (I often hear that anime fans are strange and withdrawn quiet people).
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I just discovered that Sandy Fox's English covers for Magic Knight Rayearth's songs are generally disliked. I guess I'm the crazy one for thinking they sound great. ESPECIALLY the two OPs she did.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
I think the dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back 1999 gets too much hate.
HoneyAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:33 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I think the dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back 1999 gets too much hate.

I agree, but isn't there a reason for that?Smile
HoneyAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:34 am Reply with quote
My unpopular opinion is that Boruto is trash.
I'm sorry Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 83 of 84