• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Poke-Maughan The Movie 2000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm also of the opinion that we could use more remakes/reboots of old franchises and series. While HxH 2011 and Brotherhood obviously weren't quite as succesful as the original animes, both did/are doing pretty well for themselves and you;d think that would give Japan more incentive to experiment with that kind of thing more. It;s why I;m kinda disappointed they didn;t go for an actual Kenshin anime reboot since it would have been interesting to get an anime slightly more accurate to the source material (and that actually completes it).

Of course the only problem with anime reboots is that even though a lot of anime is made on the cheap side, very few series were/are big enough to do that sort of thing. While it does seem sort of inevitable for large shonen titles to have that sort of thing happen at some point(and frankly I;m surprised that Shonen Jump ISN'T trying to revive a lot of their old series with new anime considering they've been in something of a draught for the last few years with succesful new series) it would be a heck of a lot harder for the late night stuff.

Then of course there's the fact that some shows honestly DON'T need to be remade. Things like the aformentioned HxH and FMA Brotherhood would make sense since their original animes did not get through enough of the source material but something like Yu Yu Hakusho getting a reboot (and I;ve seen some actual interest in that) would be rather pointless because it actually was done pretty much perfectly the first time around and there's no serious need to touch it again.
bednorz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm 100% behind Zac on Bebop and Tenchi. I remember watching CB and thinking "force yourself to like, everybody likes this show". And yet I couldn't give a damn about the characters and all those gimmicks of the week. Trash your nostalgia goggles, people. Rewatching your beloved classics now would be a good way to do it.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Very enjoyable podcast, about anime or no, but I have to cry foul at the allegation that the new Lupin III is just some mediocre show riding on fanservice to get by.

It's a hugely gutsy project by Yamamoto and Okada to reclaim or rehabilitate an inherently sexist character (she is named after her breasts after all) by recasting her as the tragic heroine of a gothic literature or shoujo romance. Jill is doing a great series on this at http://www.lesteraspermere.com/violencejill/2012/05/05/lupin-iii-the-realm-of-fujiko-mine-is-the-realm-of-women-part-1/

Hopefully the sixth episode will show people that this interpretation of the show is correct, and that Yamamoto is really taking Lupin in a new direction. Great stuff.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Personally I severely disagree with the Tenchi Bashing, I for one love the series. Is it perfect, no. But its a fun little hoge-poge series. Part Action/Adventure, Part comedy, party harem, part sci-fi.

Also disagree with saying the women are ugly. Sure Ryoko has crazy hair, but she ain't ugly. and Mihoshi & Kiyone are pretty decent looking as well. And how can you not find Sasami cute as a button. I will say though never cared much for Ayeka.

But yeah, I for one love to re-watch Tenchi Universe.

But hey to each their own.

Only Tenchi series I really can't stand is the later stuff like GXP & the 3rd OVA.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Personally I severely disagree with the Tenchi Bashing, I for one love the series. Is it perfect, no. But its a fun little hoge-poge series. Part Action/Adventure, Part comedy, party harem, part sci-fi.

Also disagree with saying the women are ugly. Sure Ryoko has crazy hair, but she ain't ugly. and Mihoshi & Kiyone are pretty decent looking as well. And how can you not find Sasami cute as a button. I will say though never cared much for Ayeka.

Only Tenchi series I really can't stand is the later stuff like GXP & the 3rd OVA.

I will have to agree with you there bud I loved the ova's, tenchi universe and the 2 main movies. Then again I was 12 when i first watched tenchi muyo so my opinion is based a lot on nostalgia expect for the movies since those are easy to obtain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I will have to agree with you there bud I loved the ova's, tenchi universe and the 2 main movies. Then again I was 12 when i first watched tenchi muyo so my opinion is based a lot on nostalgia expect for the movies since those are easy to obtain.

Thanks. But yeah I was even younger then that I think when Tenchi first aired on CN. 9-10 I think, lol. But even without the nostalgia I pop in OVA 1 & 2, Tokyo, Universe and the movies about once a or twice a year, still find them enjoyable, I can agree the dub is kind of meh, not horrid imo, just...meh, lol.

But yeah I for one still find it to be an enjoyable series. But hey we all have our Biases I'm admitingly more attracted to older anime be they ones I grew up with or not,so its all good in the end I guess, lol.

But yeah interesting podcast overall and I am looking forward to their revenge of the 90's episode/episodes.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Count me among those enjoying Legend of Korra so far. I was really invested in the original series, so being able to revisit that world and see how its culture and society has changed over the years has been a real treat. (Not to mention totally digging the '20s Shanghai vibe.)

And the animation is really polished, they clearly took their time making the little gestures and expressions look as fluid and natural as possible - I'd put that animation up against the stuff coming out of Japan now, easily. (Something that, as much as I loved the original series, I wouldn't have been able to claim in its defense.)

As far as the writing goes, I see potential within each of the characters for some pretty interesting growth and I anticipate the creators making good use of that. Assuming they keep up the quality of writing from the original series, which I've been given no reason to doubt.

And speaking of character growth! My question regarding character-driven stories was more referring to series that focused on a character's personal growth rather than their role in overcoming the obstacles of a more plot-driven story... If that makes sense?

Echoing everyone else, really loved Alien. Still haven't seen Aliens... I'm planning to revisit the original with my little brother (who's never seen it) before we go see Prometheus, so maybe we'll tackle Aliens as well.

Toward the Terra was really enjoyable for me, I'd love to see more of its ilk get reboots, like Justin said. Maybe dust off some more titles from the Keiko Takemiya/Moto Hagio catalogue?

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
About manga on iPad, as a physical media luddite, I will concede that manga art likely does look better on the iPad's crisp white background compared to the off-white newsprint most English-translated manga volumes are printed on these days, and the iPad screen is, from what I understand, slightly larger than the standard manga trade paperback page size, but I will never make the switch because I'm not interested in any technology that eliminates the need for "book have" (or "CD have" or "DVD/Blu-Ray have" or "game disc/card have").

But, yeah, I've never actually taken the "Pepsi Challenge" and compared manga on paper to manga on an iPad screen (or competing tablet). I don't have an iPad or competing tablet device since I'm only interested in owning computer devices with a tactile keyboard and optical media drive, and I don't have easy access to one either. The only tablet device i ever intend on buying is a WACOM for art purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'm all for remakes and reboots, especially for animes. For example, I still want to see anime remakes of Ashita no Joe (even though it's entire story is animated, it's split up between two shows made 10 years apart and there's some some overlap between the shows) & Bastard!! (seeing the apparent success of the Berserk movies, I'd love to see Bastard!! get this kind of treatment now).

As for that Tenchi dub clip... Wow, that's bad. I know that I saw the original Tenchi subbed before, but I honestly don't remember much from it. Maybe that's for the better. Anyway, great podcast, guys.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm listening to the show right now, and heard the question about good anime for preschoolers.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Hello Kitty. About three years ago, when my youngest was 4 years old, I got some Hello Kitty DVDs from the library (the Hello Kitty & Friends volumes and the Hello Kitty's Paradise volumes), and she liked them a lot. Admittedly, the dubs are written in a way that kind of talks down to the kids, but a preschool-aged kid will enjoy it (although the adult watching with them will probably be driven crazy!).

A couple of months ago, AnimEigo released a Hello Kitty DVD, and I actually saw a copy of it at Safeway, of all places. I haven't seen this one personally, since my youngest has now moved beyond this. But if the person asking about anime for preschoolers sees this, I would say to give this new Hello Kitty DVD a try.

If I can think of any other preschool-friendly anime that would be available outside of Japan, I'll pop back in and say more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I'm listening to the show right now, and heard the question about good anime for preschoolers.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Hello Kitty. About three years ago, when my youngest was 4 years old, I got some Hello Kitty DVDs from the library (the Hello Kitty & Friends volumes and the Hello Kitty's Paradise volumes), and she liked them a lot. Admittedly, the dubs are written in a way that kind of talks down to the kids, but a preschool-aged kid will enjoy it (although the adult watching with them will probably be driven crazy!).

A couple of months ago, AnimEigo released a Hello Kitty DVD, and I actually saw a copy of it at Safeway, of all places. I haven't seen this one personally, since my youngest has now moved beyond this. But if the person asking about anime for preschoolers sees this, I would say to give this new Hello Kitty DVD a try.

If I can think of any other preschool-friendly anime that would be available outside of Japan, I'll pop back in and say more.

Actually another really cute anime series for kids is Binchō-tan however there is not dub so that cuts down for kids here to see it. Still it's a pretty show and I didn't find anything offensive from the show what soever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binchō-tan_%28manga%29
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually love the tenchi muyo series. Also i love the tenchi dubs. those dub were one of my favorite from my childhood.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
I actually love the tenchi muyo series. Also i love the tenchi dubs. those dub were one of my favorite from my childhood.

which is fine for you bro i still love tenchi as just stated due in part it was an anime i was able to watch on adult swim with my parents and they liked it as well so I will always have those fond memories. Now lets say for a different series like magical night rayearth which i just first watched 2 weeks ago thanks to my local libary. I marthoned the enitre series in day and overall it was... well the most generic set-up I have ever seen for fantasy series period. I could not find anything redeeming about it expect for clamps early desings. I was literally bored to tears by the series but keep in mind I am twenty six not 13 when i watched it for the first time.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Is A Little Snow Fairy Sugar still in print? That would be a good series for preschoolers. Waffo!
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I squirmed a little listening to them talk about the fridge episode of Bebop . . . It was that episode that turned me into anime fan. I think because it was just so self contained and amusing that I actually watched the whole episode and didn't turn it off after a few minutes because I was confused.

So I always have a soft spot for that episode - It's always odd to realize the epicenter of your nostalgia.

Conversely, Blade Runner drives me up the wall. I can't tolerate it. I can't. And I know that its because Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is one of favorite books. And I know it's an adaption and it can't be exactly like the book. That it has be different because it's a movie. And I want it to be different.

But the themes, the ideals - What Blade Runner is saying with the movie is so different than what Philip K. Dick is writing about in the book it makes me crazy watching it. What's the point of an adaption if it changes the meaning of the story?

What Philip K Dick has to say about humanity, empathy, faith and desire is so quiet that it becomes poignant.
It's like when you bite your cheek while eating an orange. There's the sting of pain, and the taste of blood, but the sweetness is still there. It's small but so human. .. you see?

While Blade Runner takes the skeleton of the story and turns it into an action flick. While admittedly it makes it look stylish, it feels so empty. It's just so disappointing to me.

ETA: Sorry, to be a little off topic, but I had just finished re-reading the book last week and when Tim mentioned Blade Runner.. it reminded me of my frustrations with the film.

Last edited by NotintheMood on Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6