• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Poke-Maughan The Movie 2000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Movies dumbing down and ruining books is nothing new. I remember reading Jurassic Park as a kid then seeing the movie. It's completely different and they went for a more family fun dinosaur adventure flick. Hammond was such a huge ass in the book and gets eaten by dinosaurs in the end because of it and everyone cheered. In the movie he's some jolly Willy Wonka with Dinosaurs instead of candy. Talk about 180ing a character...

I often use Jurassic Park as a litmus test to see if someone is so obsessed with the idea of a film adaptation being exactly like the book that they can't tell when a good film has resulted regardless of how slavishly faithful it is to the source material.

If you can't recognize Jurassic Park as basically flawless summer entertainment and point out how it's different from the book as your chief argument, then you aren't really watching the film, you're just checking off boxes in your head and it's more about how faithful the film is than whether or not it's actually any good on its own.

Zac in his defense I am the same way with adapts of eroge of visual novels becasue they have so much material to work with they cut out x amount to make y product. It's not like I intentionally go in hating these adapts all the time however when you cut out huge or key element plot points that are relevant to mystery series then it becomes lazy that was the umineko anime apparition.

People that gain interest in the franchise and have to look for answers from the source material or be explained to why this happens since they didn't even bother to show or tell it is just plain lazy. I don't find any excuse for it, Hell symbolize what's going on or do a small monologue don't expect people to know becasue they haven't read the source material first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
These are also kid-friendly, but could potentially be a stretch for preschoolers: Pokemon, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Hamtaro (this one's probably harder to come by these days), and Sonic X.

Only the edited 4Kids dub versions of those shows, though. The originals.. not so much.

I was definitely thinking of the 4Kids dubs when I wrote my initial post. Realistically, most parents of preschoolers and young children won't be looking for fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I have to ask Zac, will you be watching Urotsukidoji? Inquiring minds have to know.

The original Urotsukidouji OVA series was released in 1987 through 1989, so it doesn't really qualify as 1990s. It had sequels released in the 1990s, but they're not nearly as iconic as the original.

Yea I figured he might watch it though since it spanned into the 90s and comes from a similar "era" in anime as Ninja Scroll which he is also watching. Although both had graphic sexual content, obviously Ninja Scroll is not as extreme as Overfiend, but I just had to ask lol.
mckg1

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
tenchi, lol. I rem, Wink
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Tim. Sir. I don't know if you have any respiratory problems or not; if you do, this isn't a diss, because I have asthma myself. Anyway--please look for a microphone set-up that captures your voice but not your breathing through your nose. For starters, don't use a headset mic. It shouldn't be too costly to change this around--you shouldn't need professional broadcast quality gear--but it'll help things like this a lot. Thank you.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
I hate to break it to you justin but while I could see why you could dislike korra (the character) the show besides cowtowing to what she wants, and making anti-benders into villains has not missed a beat in my opinion. ever when he goes a little far in one of these things it provides some justification for them.

ALSO korra provides the breath of new life the series needed. they would not be able to go and rehash any of the stuff they did with korra traveling around the nations, korra gathering teachers, or korra going up against the evil X nation. instead it focuses on the sports of the world, parenting, peoples views about bending, and yes romance. Korra actually makes one of the most effective uses of a time skip that I have ever seen. and I love the various layers to each episode and how well it accomplishes them all. I also love it's slightly more mature tone that it takes in this series. my only question for it is where is the blu-ray preorder site (and I never ask that).

P.S. my colleges anime club meetings have become ... interesting since about 3/4 of the members keep talking about team mako and team bolin every chance they get. do I get why people think bolin has a chance or like him like that...no but apparently half the group thinks he does.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
I agree with Zac on Cowboy Bebop. It is one of my favorite series, but for of its amazing production values, Cowboy Bebop is at times weak plot and story wise. I love this series, but it is more style than substance.

It is kind of funny that some of you seem to be bashing Cowboy Bebop, one of the corner stones in the Anime industry in the United States, just because Zac has offered some criticism. Zac is not saying that Cowboy Bebop is a bad series. I am looking forward to the Revenge of the 90s show.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with Zac on Cowboy Bebop. It is one of my favorite series, but for of its amazing production values, Cowboy Bebop is at times weak plot and story wise. I love this series, but it is more style than substance.

It is kind of funny that some of you seem to be bashing Cowboy Bebop, one of the corner stones in the Anime industry in the United States, just because Zac has offered some criticism. Zac is not saying that Cowboy Bebop is a bad series. I am looking forward to the Revenge of the 90s show.

It's obviously not a bad show its just not one of the best anime, it's incredibly stylish, hilarious, and it does have some really great scenes like when (spoiler[Ed leaves to go live with her father and Ein decides to go with her])
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac even though bamboo did forget space pirates this week due to the flurry of new shows. it should be noted that it still scored consistently in the top 3 or 5. so even though it has it's own pace and will not go any faster, it is still a great show. and thank heavens they are renaming it

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sceleris

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The Nobody's Boy Remi movie came out on VHS in Sweden in 1981, called Remis äventyr ("Remi's adventure"). I think it was subtitled in Swedish, but I hardly think it had the original Japanese audio -- it was probably dubbed in English, so I'm thinking that it may have been a sub-license from the company that issued Maughan's copy or something like that. So yeah, there is probably an English dub out there somewhere...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Pocket Monsters originally had lots of sexual instances and violence

No, it doesn't (and, yes, I've seen the original version.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
No, it doesn't (and, yes, I've seen the original version.)

The first episode alone had that kind of stuff removed. And Kasumi's original promiscuous personality is pretty much neutered in the dub from the get go.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Zac even though bamboo did forget space pirates this week due to the flurry of new shows. it should be noted that it still scored consistently in the top 3 or 5. so even though it has it's own pace and will not go any faster, it is still a great show. and thank heavens they are renaming it

Bamboo might be more in-tune to those kinds of shows, but the show starts out wanting to promise on adventure and excitement, and that's not at all present as the episodes go on. It is a cute girl show when your entire cast is full of cute girls. Not that it's bad in that regard, but it's definitely not want some people wanted out of it. I certainly had hoped it would be more ambitious, but I've settled that it's an underwhelming and kind of dumb show about teenagers cosplaying onboard a spaceship, so I dialed down my expectations and everything's fine now. I have the feeling Zac and Tim would rather eat mud than sit through that.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Bamboo might be more in-tune to those kinds of shows, but the show starts out wanting to promise on adventure and excitement, and that's not at all present as the episodes go on. It is a cute girl show when your entire cast is full of cute girls. Not that it's bad in that regard, but it's definitely not want some people wanted out of it. I certainly had hoped it would be more ambitious, but I've settled that it's an underwhelming and kind of dumb show about teenagers cosplaying onboard a spaceship, so I dialed down my expectations and everything's fine now. I have the feeling Zac and Tim would rather eat mud than sit through that.

The cosplay pirating thing was a joke, and the show does quite a bit to try and make you laugh at it. besides it's not like they could have actually done a normal show in that situation.

yes the shows opening and promise is stronger then it delivers on in latter episodes, but you know what I have been happy with the show by the end of every arc. episode 11 was easily my favorite single episode of the year, I ended up watching that twice in a row just like bamboo did because it was so fun and exciting. I appreciate the time and energy put into proper build up in that show. it is a show that when I look at critically I enjoy more then if I was looking for something like kiddy grade (which I don't care for).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Sceleris wrote:
The Nobody's Boy Remi movie came out on VHS in Sweden in 1981, called Remis äventyr ("Remi's adventure"). I think it was subtitled in Swedish, but I hardly think it had the original Japanese audio -- it was probably dubbed in English, so I'm thinking that it may have been a sub-license from the company that issued Maughan's copy or something like that. So yeah, there is probably an English dub out there somewhere...

can i ask a question is this show related to homeless child remy which is about orphan girl?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6