• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Damnable Demagoguery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not saying that yuri doesn't appeal to "horny boys", but using that to just dismiss the entire genre out of hand is ridiculous. Do you dismiss yaoi because it primarily (I don't know, actually, does it?) appeals to "horny girls"?

No, because I am a Fudanshi myself.

I mean, dude, I've written yaoi myself. I have the story on fictionpress if you don't believe me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Not saying that yuri doesn't appeal to "horny boys", but using that to just dismiss the entire genre out of hand is ridiculous. Do you dismiss yaoi because it primarily (I don't know, actually, does it?) appeals to "horny girls"?

No, because I am a Fudanshi myself.

I mean, dude, I've written yaoi myself. I have the story on fictionpress if you don't believe me.

Ok, then don't be a goddamn hypocrite Chagen. Is that really too much to ask for you?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not being a hypocrite. I wasn't slighting yuri, I was just pointing out that it DOES appeal to horny guys just like yaoi appeals to horny girls.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm not being a hypocrite. I wasn't slighting yuri, I was just pointing out that it DOES appeal to horny guys just like yaoi appeals to horny girls.

Yes, but you implicitly use that as a way to dismiss it entirely (and don't claim you don't. You do. Frequently), while the actual demographics of actual yuri mags demonstrate that Yuri is quite popular among females (of the straight and lesbian persuasions).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I obviously dislike yuri and used my statement as a way go dismiss it entirely when I've written yuri before and I actually was planning to write another little yuri one-shot (never got finished with it because I have my hands full with my web novel, but still).

Actually, thank you for reminding me, I really should finish that yuri one-shot.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Now I don't have the numbers on hand to back this up,

INTERNET PROTIP: nobody takes you seriously after you say this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Aynslesa wrote:
Since this is a topic near and dear to my heart, I just have to comment on the yaoi availability question and make two points.

First - you mention Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi not being available and no one wanting to take a risk on it, but what about Junjo Romantica? Based off of a manga by the same creator as Sekai Ichi, given two seasons of anime of its own, *and* both seasons were released on Region 1 by Right Stuf. And they sold fairly well from what I can tell.

That said, point #2 - it's not really accurate to compare Cat Planet Cuties and Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (or Junjo for that matter) in terms of fanservice for their respective points. Sekai Ichi has *no* nudity scenes, no *attempted* nudity scenes, and the points when the characters do go off and get busy, it's done off screen. There is no equivalent of boob-flashing in Sekai Ichi, unless two grown men kissing and confessing their love to each other on numerous occasions counts as an equivalent. The same can be said for Junjo. Compared to the manga (which *is* quite graphic in its fanservice), the anime versions are *mild*.

I personally am in the corner of "less boobs, more tasteful romance stories", and I don't really care if they're heterosexual or homosexual. I'd love for more domestic releases along the lines of Gravitation or Junjo Romantica. And the market is out there. The market is *definitely* out there.
I was going to say something to this effect on both these points but Aynslesa said it for me. Anyway, I always thought the lack of licensed BL anime is a result of the lack of BL anime, period. Is there a stash I'm not seeing that is sitting unlicensed? All I can think of is Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi, and I sort of thought it was just a matter of time before it was picked up by RightStuf (who also released Junjou Romantica). After all, NISA has No.6, so... what else is there, anime-wise? (I'm not being snarky-- if I've overlooked a series I'd like to know).

I've been seeing a few licensors that haven't given up on female fans. Section 23/Sentai have quite a few, and NISA have a few. As far as yaoi goes, @poonk has it pretty much spot on. Not a lot of it is even being made, and what does show up, is far from explicit in any way. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that very little of anything explicit, even Hentai, is made anymore.

I am kind of wondering if kickstarter would be a good way of working with some of the N. American licensors on some of these more explicit yaoi titles that have never been brought over or are now out-of-print. I wonder if Nozomi would be interested in partnering in a kickstarter program to reproduce an older title like Ai no Kusabi. That one is kind of a classic that would probably benefit from a new license.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't even think of another recent BL series that hasn't been licensed other than Sekai Ichi. I agree with those who say the lack of BL anime in the west has a lot to do with the lack of it in Japan. And honestly? I've personally found that most BL anime is pretty awful anyway. Sometimes when I'm reading BL manga I think "Ahh this would be such a great anime!" and then two seconds later all remember just how awful all BL anime ever has been and realize that it's probably better off staying a manga Razz

Now as for long running series, are there really fewer now? Or is that there just happens to be more shorter series than there used to be? Anyway if the rumors about the Magi anime are true that could potentially be a long one too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Also, the reason we don't get more BL anime in the U.S. is the same reason we don't get more shoujo anime in the U.S. The demo which supports the manga tends to ignore its adaptations.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:

Now as for long running series, are there really fewer now? Or is that there just happens to be more shorter series than there used to be? Anyway if the rumors about the Magi anime are true that could potentially be a long one too.

Four Cour series are basically unheard of at this point, while the OVA has essentially been replaced by the 1 Cour TV Anime.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand what exactly all these unlicensed BL anime series are to which everyone seems to be referring (again, besides the recent Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi which I assume is a matter of time). Believe me, if I thought there was some sort of discrimination going down in R1 licensing I'd be amongst the first to complain about it but how can a company license what's not (or rather infrequently) being made?

Now as for discrimination regarding what gets stocked in a brick & mortar stores-- that wouldn't surprise me if some stores passed on keeping BL titles on their shelves.* This is where the online vendors come in-- they stock anything & everything. But if you're determined to support your local shop you'll just have to let them know you're interested in the material, perhaps by special ordering it. If they get enough requests (backed up by actual purchases) I seriously doubt a shop would not stock something that would sell just because it was "too gay." At least I'd like to think that greed would win over discrimination (it's the American way, right?).

*(It should be noted though that back in the day I did buy all of Gravitation, Mirage of Blaze, and Sukisho!! off the shelf at Best Buy-- this was back when they actually gave a crap about having a good DVD selection-- so at least my local store didn't seem to have an issue).

tuxedocat wrote:
I am kind of wondering if kickstarter would be a good way of working with some of the N. American licensors on some of these more explicit yaoi titles that have never been brought over or are now out-of-print. I wonder if Nozomi would be interested in partnering in a kickstarter program to reproduce an older title like Ai no Kusabi. That one is kind of a classic that would probably benefit from a new license.
A DVD release of the Ai no Kusabi OAVs-- now that's an excellent idea (also, wasn't that supposed to get a new, longer run of OAVs like a few years back that just kept getting postponed and never materialized?).

Ryan227 wrote:
I honestly can't even think of another recent BL series that hasn't been licensed other than Sekai Ichi. I agree with those who say the lack of BL anime in the west has a lot to do with the lack of it in Japan. And honestly? I've personally found that most BL anime is pretty awful anyway. Sometimes when I'm reading BL manga I think "Ahh this would be such a great anime!" and then two seconds later all remember just how awful all BL anime ever has been and realize that it's probably better off staying a manga Razz
I think the problem is that they often try to take an entire story (sometimes even multiple volume series) and cram it all into one or two half-hour length OAVs, which ends up coming off as slapdash-- it ends up assuming you're already read the manga, know all the characters, and here are the highlights, animated. Another issue is that the character designs for the animated version, though they may try to approximate the mangaka's style, will always be not quite as good.

farix wrote:
I'll also believe that fansubs and streaming hurt the BL market more than it they hurt the general anime market. The impression I get from most fujoshi is that they want their BL, and they don't care if they get it legally or not.
Actually I would argue the contrary. The English BL scanalation sites are generally very good at removing/dropping stuff if it gets an English license (and even raw scans when a publisher requests it) and actively encourage fans to buy the books, translated or original Japanese, whenever possible. I always got the impression that publishers' BL imprints usually do pretty well for themselves (often by licensing titles that have a fandom buzz around them-- and guess where the fans read it first to create that buzz?) and if they close down it's due to other reasons beyond "BL isn't selling." I'm thinking of situations like BLU-- where it was dragged down by being part of TokyoPop-- or the whole BeBeautiful contract-renegotiation fiasco.

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I really like anime with a long episode count, providing that the show has a defined story arc with little or no filler like "Legend of Galactic Heroes" or "The Twelve Kingdoms". You get to spend more time learning about the characters (including secondary characters that might not be examined in a shorter series), developing the setting in which the characters live, and examining the themes of the show.

It's unfortunate that longer-running shows rarely get to finish telling the story they wish to tell - I'm still waiting for the ending of "The Twelve Kingdoms" and "Crest/Banner of the Stars".

EDIT: Can someone tell me how Answerman went viral?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the 12-episode length as well, especially if I'm marathoning something. It's just enough to tell a good short story, with sufficient development and closure. I find that stories sometimes struggle to fit into 26.

The only time I like anything longer than 26 episodes is if it is running on TV. Usually the stuff that does that are episodic shounen adventures that I no longer follow.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
12-13 episode seasons: Recently, I'm starting to prefer the shorter series because they tend to stick closer to the original source or, if the original source only has a few chapters available, then usually the pacing of the anime will usually match panel by panel of the manga.
The only time I don't like 12-13 ep. is when the series ends on a cliffhanger and the only way to find out what happens is to read the manga or light novel (which may or not be available in English).

poonk wrote:

tuxedocat wrote:
...I wonder if Nozomi would be interested in partnering in a kickstarter program to reproduce an older title like Ai no Kusabi. That one is kind of a classic that would probably benefit from a new license.
A DVD release of the Ai no Kusabi OAVs-- now that's an excellent idea (also, wasn't that supposed to get a new, longer run of OAVs like a few years back that just kept getting postponed and never materialized?).

spoiler[Somewhere on the Internet, there is a website where you can see the first four OAVs of the new Ai no Kusabi. I can't say it in the forums but I can PM anyone who is curious. >__>]

Quote:
After all, NISA has No.6, so... what else is there, anime-wise? (I'm not being snarky-- if I've overlooked a series I'd like to know).
Sentai Filmworks has No. 6 which is coming out in August 2012.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:
After all, NISA has No.6, so... what else is there, anime-wise? (I'm not being snarky-- if I've overlooked a series I'd like to know).
Sentai Filmworks has No. 6 which is coming out in August 2012.
Whoops! I'm thinking of Natsume Yuujinchou (not BL, btw).

spoiler[Somewhere on the Internet, there is a website where you can see the first four OAVs of the new Ai no Kusabi. I can't say it in the forums but I can PM anyone who is curious. >__>]Oh, I didn't know they actually ended up making it! Now that I know it exists I know where to go, but thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9