• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extra Seconds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yet these are what sell in Japan. Mass Effect 3 sold like 30k and made the bargain bins within a couple months, yet Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold nearly a million in a month. Why should you make games you don't like just because foreigners demand you to make games for them?

Money. A game selling nearly a million in a month pales to what is considered a smash success here. Mass Effect 3 sold almost 3 million in the rest of the world.

Well, Japanese pay more for their games too. A normal game in Japan costs about 100 dollars due to the differences in the value of our money plus games in Japan have always cost more.

While that doesn't add up to what Mass Effect 3 made total, it does cut into it some... and people, like I said earlier, like making games they actually enjoy. Just making games you don't like for foreigners kills any enjoyment you might have from making games. Plus, theres the whole nationalistic thing where they'd rather make games for their own instead of foreigners.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yet these are what sell in Japan. Mass Effect 3 sold like 30k and made the bargain bins within a couple months, yet Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold nearly a million in a month. Why should you make games you don't like just because foreigners demand you to make games for them?

Money. A game selling nearly a million in a month pales to what is considered a smash success here. Mass Effect 3 sold almost 3 million in the rest of the world.

Well, Japanese pay more for their games too. A normal game in Japan costs about 100 dollars due to the differences in the value of our money plus games in Japan have always cost more.

While that doesn't add up to what Mass Effect 3 made total, it does cut into it some... and people, like I said earlier, like making games they actually enjoy. Just making games you don't like for foreigners kills any enjoyment you might have from making games. Plus, theres the whole nationalistic thing where they'd rather make games for their own instead of foreigners.

That 3 million is from around the world, not just the US alone.

No other country in the world makes games solely for their own country, not even the US. If they continue like this then they just have to realize that they aren't the best in the world anymore.

And I really refuse to believe that every developer in Japan loves the types of games they're making. Especially with how vocal people like Inafune and even Kojima has been.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

No other country in the world makes games solely for their own country, not even the US. If they continue like this then they just have to realize that they aren't the best in the world anymore.

And I really refuse to believe that every developer in Japan loves the types of games they're making. Especially with how vocal people like Inafune and even Kojima has been.

I don't deny there might be a few that don't like these games so much (though I don't buy Inafune since like I mentioned a page or two ago, he's doing cameos in freaking Hyperdimension Neptunia on his own)... but think about the people getting into the industry. The grunt workers, the people actually making the games. They got into the industry since they enjoy playing video games, especially more recent ones.. They want to make games they enjoy, not games that only the niche gamers like. Like how many developers at American companies would be happy if they were making niche JRPGs knock offs?

And yeah, Japan is different. We know this... and its why they shouldn't change. They're the last bastion of non shooter games in the world, and I'd quit gaming if they just gave into making American style games. I want them to stay unique.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Meanwhile, Final Fantasy XIII (the main, proper game) sold 6.5+ million. More than any Mass Effect to date... why are you making this claim again? Seems like America needs to learn from Japan if even the 'oh my God, every gamer hates FF13" game can sell more than their beloved Mass Effect. Don't confuse vocal minority haters on the internet with actual sales or facts. Ranting how you hate FF13 won't change sales numbers.

(XIII-2 sold about half that, sure, but spin-offs/sequels never sell as well as the main titles if you look at past FF games.)

Quote:

You shouldn't brag about the mundanity and appealing to the least common denominator. This is why you're stuck with so many grizzled space marine shooters. This is called a rut. Japan not just saying "Well, let's just make Call of Duty/Madden games, those seem like safe investments" is why they're awesome.

animehermit wrote:
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls and even Dragon's Dogma. Vanquish is a cover based third person shooter and that did well too.

How are these anything like 'western games'. Dragon's Dogma is pretty Monster Hunter-esque and even has a cross-over with it. Something the west has never been interested in, yet Japan love.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

you don't want Capcom to make a Monster Hunter game you just want them to make Skyrim. This idea that all games should be similar is what is killing gaming. There's a reason why despite all these flashy graphics and high-end video cards that you can only play on a 2,000 dollar computer than the Golden era of PC gaming ended in the late 90's. You once had games like Day of the tentacle, Fallout, and Baldur's gate, and now you just have the same cover shooter with a slightly different dude in a different locale.

If I wanted to play a cover shooter than I would buy a cover shooter, not demand that somehow Square Enix doesn't get the fans by not making a cover shooter.

Your demanding that Japanese developers simply imitate Western developers and not put any thought into the games they make just because you refuse to get out of the rut.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel wierd right now.

I'm a fan of both FPSs and Japanese games, as amazing as that sounds. Can't we all just get along withou making an absurd amount of bullshit assumptions about genres we don't like?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Japan and America have different standards of what makes a good game, and its best for both to focus on what they like and make those types of games, instead of trying to appeal to different markets that have different tastes.

True, though just due to the huge disparity in market sizes and thus budgets, it'd become harder and harder for Japanese developers to keep up developing games that take advantage of newer and newer consoles that become more and more powerful. It is ironic that as Sony and Nintendo try to one-up each other's consoles, they're making it harder for their brethrens to keep up with them. The only way J-developers could keep up is if it's the uncommon something they can market to the rest of the world.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

you don't want Capcom to make a Monster Hunter game you just want them to make Skyrim. This idea that all games should be similar is what is killing gaming. There's a reason why despite all these flashy graphics and high-end video cards that you can only play on a 2,000 dollar computer than the Golden era of PC gaming ended in the late 90's. You once had games like Day of the tentacle, Fallout, and Baldur's gate, and now you just have the same cover shooter with a slightly different dude in a different locale.

If I wanted to play a cover shooter than I would buy a cover shooter, not demand that somehow Square Enix doesn't get the fans by not making a cover shooter.

Your demanding that Japanese developers simply imitate Western developers and not put any thought into the games they make just because you refuse to get out of the rut.

First, I never said I wanted to change Monster Hunter, I'd just like it on a console that isn't the wii. It would do well on PC, mostly because niche markets do well on PC.

Second, I never said Square Enix should make all their games cover shooters, stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm saying that Japanese developers need to get out of the rut they are in and think about making games fun again, especially Square.

You know I think I'm begining to notice a pattern here. I exoress my opinion and the lot of you assume a bunch a shit I didn't mean or say. Then I reply and you take more of what I say and assume some more.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

First, I never said I wanted to change Monster Hunter, I'd just like it on a console that isn't the wii. It would do well on PC, mostly because niche markets do well on PC.

Monster Hunter has been released on the PSP and PS3 (both of which are region free), and, oddly enough, Capcom released a 360 only version, too (region-locked though).

Niche markets do well on PC? In Japan or US? The PC gaming landscape in Japan is much different than in the West, though.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Monster Hunter has been released on the PSP and PS3 (both of which are region free), and, oddly enough, Capcom released a 360 only version, too (region-locked though).

Niche markets do well on PC? In Japan or US? The PC gaming landscape in Japan is much different than in the West, though.

With PC games most of the "niche" games are of established franchises and the new franchises tend to have established people working for them. Even then the only way for Tim Schaefer, Brian Fargo, and most of the Sierra developers could get funding was through kickstarter.

As for Japanese games not being fun, I found Xenoblade to be amazing, I pre-ordered Last Story, and I hope that Project X Zone comes out here.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
PC gaming in Japan is essentially only visual novels.

Thats why PC ports are rare, and usually handled by the western licensor.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Which would work if just I wanted to play them, it's not exactly the best way to get new fans. Besides it would be nice if the game was in my native language.

And I was talking about the PC market in the rest of the world, not in just Japan or the US.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
>mfw everyone continues this pointless fighting
LupinTheFourth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>mfw everyone continues this pointless fighting

Is it anything like this:

Cause this is goooood stuff.

In all honesty though, all game markets have their ups, their downs, their great aspects, their not-so-great aspects. It's stupid to fight about which is better. It's even stupider to fight about which is worse.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'm just wondering why we have to all stick by our preferred genres and hate on everything else.

I never really got that. I play any game that's good. I don't care if it's a JRPG or a FPS or a racing sim (though racing games are my favorite genre of games) or a SRPG. I'll play it if it's good. Hell, I own a 360 and a PS3, instead of just picking one and hating on the other. I'm gonna get a gaming PC soon and I used to own a Wii but it broke.

Yet some people act like it's impossible to play and like both, say, Battlefield 3 and Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6