• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dear Moderators and users:

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me why "What do you wish happened in real life that in in anime?" was reported and locked? The opening post didn't contribute their own answer to this question, but I think that is okay, some more modest forumers might not want to hog the spotlight.

It's not about the gramatical mistake is it?

I thought that was a somewhat interesting topic and felt like replying. Is it a topic that has already been covered before?

This forum kind of scares me with the moderation and rule enforcement. Usually, I don't have to read forum rules, they're just intrinsicly known and it has always worked out nicely (possibly due to the effort made by great moderators).

edit: Just realized this thread belongs in Announcements & Teh Rules, though I'm not even sure if I can post threads there.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
Can someone explain to me why "What do you wish happened in real life that in in anime?" was reported and locked? The opening post didn't contribute their own answer to this question, but I think that is okay, some more modest forumers might not want to hog the spotlight.
That goes against the forum rules though. Discussion is expected to start from the first post to help get the topic rolling. If you like the topic, you could re-create the thread yourself and start with your thoughts. It's a little strict, but it does create an environment where intelligent discussion is the norm rather than the exception.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
Can someone explain to me why "What do you wish happened in real life that in in anime?"

Because.

Did that answer your question? Well, that's kind of the point. When someone has a discussion, it's usually customary they share their side of it first. It's not "hogging the spotlight", but common courtesy.

One-liners will turn this place into Crunchyroll, and many of us don't want that. Kids can go there and post.

When someone takes the time to offer their point of view, it can set the tone for the rest of the discussion.

Seeing a thread made of one-liners makes me want to slap anyone who makes them, no matter what forum they're on.

It's stupid, frankly.

Now, some good news! If you really enjoy the idea, start the thread yourself, now that you know what it takes to keep it open.
Smile

Last edited by Mesonoxian Eve on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Okay, I get it. I kind of dislike this forum, nothing personal, I actually like (some of) the people here... okay... there are people that I hate here. hmmm... I wont say any more than that, I'll just be on my merry way. Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, as mentioned, it is customary for the person initiating the thread to actually start the conversation. A grammatical error I am perfectly capable of fixing if it becomes an issue, I'm not going to lock a thread because of a grammatical error in its title. It was locked because the original poster did not even contribute to their own discussion.

If you find the idea interesting then you are more than welcome to start up a thread on the topic. It is an interesting topic to discuss, the discussion just needs to be initiated in a way that actually fosters discussion. It may seem like we're being a bit tough, and maybe we are, but there was a time these kinds of threads were opened constantly and they never went anywhere since the OP's made no effort to promote an actual discussion and they just drowned out other threads. We would rather have a page of valid and active threads than 10 pages of one-liners and discussions that never were because the initiator never tried. I'm sorry this makes you dislike the forum, but we can't please everyone I'm afraid to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
My personal perspective is that "Discuss this topic now! Begin!" threads always rub me the wrong way. It always strikes me as being akin to saying "Do my bidding! Dance my puppets!".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
Can someone explain to me why "What do you wish happened in real life that in in anime?" was reported and locked?

Did you bother to actually look at the thread you're complaining about? Because Keonyn spelled it out quite clearly there.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ANN may seem like an unwelcoming place at first, but because of that it's one of the few places you can discuss anime without getting much fanboyism; for that I'd recommend CR, which isn't bad per se, but generally lacks in-depth discussion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet--
If you follow the rules, then this really is a friendly place. Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy Mr. Green

(See? I'm all smiles! Wink )
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
You want to know why it was reported? I reported it, because it wasn't a discussion. It was "here's an idea, talk about it for me to watch." ANN requires threads to be discussions. Pure and simple. The thread broke the rules.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
I am actually quite glad that ANN is not like Crunchyroll's forum or all those millions of other forums on the web. This is the only forum I ever post on because of how "clean" it is here (by clean I mean not full of garbage one liner topics). If you don't like the rules here then feel free to go post on the other million forums out there that allow nonsensical, repetitive, unintelligent, all caps, one liner posts. Nobody is making you stay. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Similar to Rukiia, I am very glad Anime News Network isn't similar to Crunchyroll or mass amount of forums similar to that. I've been to a great deal of forums, but ANN is the only forum I've really come back to after a while (actually since 2008) as this is easily the only forum I've been to that really maintains the website.

One liners after a while become tedious, as just saying why show XYZ is good or why manga XYZ is okay doesn't really promote discussion.

If you don't really like the rules of ANN, well that is your prerogative. There is a great deal of forums that aren't even moderated and or have minimal rules. You can always leave ANN if you don't wan to stay.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ANN may seem like an unwelcoming place at first, but because of that it's one of the few places you can discuss anime without getting much fanboyism; for that I'd recommend CR, which isn't bad per se, but generally lacks in-depth discussion.

Every anime forum I've ever been to has people who say stuff like this, from Anime Web Turnpike's affiliates off to GameFAQs to /a/. Every forum thinks they're the best and the rest are the worst. There's no such thing as a best anime forum because all forums have their good and bad. ANN's bad is everytime you post it feels like you're navigating a mine field Razz Never know when you'll set one off and it'll get destroyed. I almost want to say it's as bad as ToonZone in that regard. Almost. Now that's a really sensitive place; got a huge warning just because I said I didn't like flash animation and found it dull. Sheeesh. Their reasoning was "sometimes people who work on the shows browse these forums, and we do not wish for them to see people not liking certain aspects they may have a hand in working on" Talk about thought police....

Where was I.. oh yeah, sometimes it's nice to make basic threads and see what spawns out of them like a little seed being planted, ya know? The high traffic and anonymity of /a/ is good for that. Some of the best threads there started from just a simple picture, and ended with lots of in depth discussions on the show or character. Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll does seem to have a lower level of intelligent posts, though. I haven't seen any threads there any of the times that I've poked around that make me want to participate.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
sometimes it's nice to make basic threads and see what spawns out of them like a little seed being planted, ya know? The high traffic and anonymity of /a/ is good for that. Some of the best threads there started from just a simple picture, and ended with lots of in depth discussions on the show or character. Very Happy

But then ANN will just be like all those other millions of forums on the web if they allowed one-liner topics. Do we absolutely have to have "WHO HERE LOVES NARUTO?!!??!?!?", "What's your favorite Anime?! Mine is Death Note just because lol", "Spice & Wolf season 3?!?!?!?!?!?". kinds of threads? Does it really hurt to have to contribute to your own thread to get the discussion rolling? I don't think that is an unreasonable rule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2