• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic 200

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Bamboo, congratulations on a great column! Your longevity is commendable, and I hope you carry out your hopes of writing for "several more years." Anime smile
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
After 3 years of university in health sciences, i still have no idea how you do it
my hat's off to you. congrats
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad you have made it so far in such a span of time Bamboo.
I'll keep looking forward to your reviews and column, and the occasional banter about my collection (since it freaks you out).

Keep doing what your doing, in no time we'll all be seeing your 500 mark. Cool
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
It's been an incredible ride on the way to 200. Thank you, Bamboo, for being the longest-running and easily the most enjoyable influence of my internet fandom. I look forward every week to reading your unique, and often humorous, take on anime and brief anecdotes on [what are normally] mundane topics that leave me giggling or grinning. Viva la Bamboo!!!

Cheers!
maple

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
nice review and congratulation on 200 columns, Bamboo.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on no. 200!!! I've only been posting a short time but have been a long time reader of Shelf Life & it's a favorite I look forward to. I'm not a big hentai fan but your reviews in the past have always brought a giggle or snort. As well, many reasons why I wouldn't want to see/buy what you are reviewing - thanks for taking one for the team! I always thought it was somewhat subversive that the H reviews were almost always sandwiched between reviews of Pokemon, Medabots, Zoids, Yu-Gi-Oh! & other "kids" fare - was that intentional??

Here a few of my favorite quotes (besides the Night Shift Nurses RN2 - "& EGGS!!!!") :

-from September 30th 2004 Shelf Life review of "Stepsister":

Halfway through the disc, I realized something else: Why, oh WHY, must there always be POOP involved! Can't these people have sex without losing control of their bodily functions and then being extremely aroused by it?

-from November 25th 2004 Shelf Live review of "Maison Plaisir":

Incest ensues, followed by more playing with poop. The fact that I no longer wince when I see characters playing with their own feces is a sign of how much my soul has died since I started watching hentai.

-from November 7th 2005 Shelf Life review of "Black Gate" (& this one had me howling the first time I read it):

Oh, and for the record, anyone who can get a chubby two seconds after blowing a load is a god.

Pure! Comedy!! GOLLLDDDD!!! Thanks for the laughs & great reviews we've all come to expect, just keep 'em coming...

BTW, have you ever posted pix of YOUR shelves???
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Woah, and from your name and your post, you are trying desperately to draw attention from that which you deride.

The irony is in the words of the Airplane move, pretty ironic.

Congrats on 200, I too like Please Twins more than I should, but a lot of that goes toward Please Teacher being about 5 times better than expected. You have steered me toward many nice series, but have also disagreed with you a few times I would be willing to argue over. The Magikano dub was a comedic masterpiece for the time being, it may not stand the test of time. I thought Otoboku was entertaining enough for the price.

I still do not know why Misaki Chronicles and Jinki extend were made though.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Woah, and from your name and your post, you are trying desperately to draw attention from that which you deride.

Don't worry about that now deleted post. The administrators took care of that troll Cool .
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
bleuster wrote:
Whoa! Let's rewind here. Why the hate for Orange? Drivers, sure, I can rag on them all day, but the place in general? Sad

You mean besides the monotonous weather and the cookie-cutter people? ; ) And the bandwagon sports fans? Not to mention it's the only place I've ever gotten a jaywalking ticket... And the lack of good Old World European food?

Very Happy I know there are plenty of people who love this place, but you can't transplant someone who loves the cold as much as I do.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been down there a couple times and I couldn't stand it. I really don't know how people can stand that heat.

So are you a Ducks fan then? (Or a Hockey fan in general for that matter?) I guess the Ducks probably get a lot of bandwagon jumpers with their sudden rise to success the last few years.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So are you a Ducks fan then? (Or a Hockey fan in general for that matter?) I guess the Ducks probably get a lot of bandwagon jumpers with their sudden rise to success the last few years.

I'm pretty sure Bamboo is a Colorado Avalanche fan.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I've been down there a couple times and I couldn't stand it. I really don't know how people can stand that heat.

For the record, I live here too, and it's not really hot so much as it is 'pleasant' all the time. It just never gets cold and winter is just a slightly more overcast version of the fall, which bugs people who really love digging their cars out of the snow and dealing with icy roads.

Me, I grew up in Arizona, can't stand humidity and hate the snow, so Southern California, I love you.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
That's so cool that companies (all be it their marketing divisions - some with plugs even Twisted Evil lol ) called to give you a shout out. I so miss Animeondvd. Sad I nearly cried when I heard that last "best wishes."

Thanks for sharing a piece of your past from each year. I think the writers for ANN have mini-celebrity status in the Anime world. Congrats on your 200th column Bamboo! Very Happy
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
wow, this column sure has been around a long time, thinking back i was only 13 when it started, now iam 19. wow thats a long time.

congrats Bamboo on your 200th, and may you have many more columns!!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For the record, I live here too, and it's not really hot so much as it is 'pleasant' all the time. It just never gets cold and winter is just a slightly more overcast version of the fall, which bugs people who really love digging their cars out of the snow and dealing with icy roads.

Me, I grew up in Arizona, can't stand humidity and hate the snow, so Southern California, I love you.

Sold ... though points off for not actually being hot.
Quote:
And at the time, anime fans were concerned about how their DVD spines would have different logos on them.

Since then we learned to turn them around and let the slip-boxes hide our corporate shame.

Though props for Grrl Power? hmm.

Finally got around to reading Saikano last weekend ... tie goes to books.

Will have to put the message aside until I feel like firing up the speakers, but looking forward to more (and bring back the comparisons.)
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Unless Southern California can top the sheer majestic views and clean air of New Hampshire, I think i'll stick to shoveling my driveway . Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7