• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic 200

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
So are you a Ducks fan then? (Or a Hockey fan in general for that matter?) I guess the Ducks probably get a lot of bandwagon jumpers with their sudden rise to success the last few years.

I'm pretty sure Bamboo is a Colorado Avalanche fan.

You would quite correct. Needless to say she was ecstatic the past year when they went to the semi's. Shame they lost to the Redwings as I was rooting for them myself. Of course the real question is how many of you (without using google/wiki) actually know what team the Avalanche used to be before moving to Colorado? Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For the record, I live here too, and it's not really hot so much as it is 'pleasant' all the time. It just never gets cold and winter is just a slightly more overcast version of the fall, which bugs people who really love digging their cars out of the snow and dealing with icy roads.

Me, I grew up in Arizona, can't stand humidity and hate the snow, so Southern California, I love you.

Well, I'm with you on the humidity issue. I guess our definitions of 'pleasant' differ quite a bit though. I'm definitely a cold weather person. I think it really just depends where you grow up or what you get used to. (I think Bamboo mentioned that in her post).

That's why I love Vancouver though. The weather is pretty consistent and it never really gets that cold but it doesn't get too warm either. For most of the year, save a couple months in the summer it's mostly cool but not actually chilly which is my favorite weather. With the rare exception of this year (which wasn't even that bad) we barely get any snow, if any at all.

Psycho 101 wrote:
bci110 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
So are you a Ducks fan then? (Or a Hockey fan in general for that matter?) I guess the Ducks probably get a lot of bandwagon jumpers with their sudden rise to success the last few years.

I'm pretty sure Bamboo is a Colorado Avalanche fan.

You would quite correct. Needless to say she was ecstatic the past year when they went to the semi's. Shame they lost to the Redwings as I was rooting for them myself. Of course the real question is how many of you (without using google/wiki) actually know what team the Avalanche used to be before moving to Colorado? Wink

That would be the spoiler[Quebec Nordiques.]

Yeah, I can respect the Avs. Sakic is a hell of a player. It's too bad they've struggled a bit in recent years. I guess that happens as a lot of your players retire or start getting old. That's one thing I'm happy about with the Canucks. They're a young team so they're only going to get better. Er...not that I'm bragging about being a Canucks fan at the moment. =/
iamsincere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
i would 1st like to say congrats to you, I've actually been following that particular column since 03/04 so I've been there

and yes I've read those jokes, although they were funny back then ;P i have an easy sense of humor

especially when you bash hentai...geez...thats the fun part...

im working on a community site right now that will have a massive anime section, as for the column, im not sure because i follow your shelf life...

so i figured id reference back here to my fav anime guide. plus it'll bring a lot of my anime ers..can i say that?

to the ANN, and you all can grow as well Anime smile

keep it up, i depend on you!

my site is www.iamsincere.com, i plan to go live in the begining of march, stop on by

-Sin aka Seijitsu
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo. No no no no no no. The only time I've ever been a Ducks fan is when it was a Disney trilogy and involved Emilio.

I am an Avs fan all the way.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:

BTW, have you ever posted pix of YOUR shelves???

If not please do--I have to see those PLEASE TWINS panty figures. COLORFUL is an awesome show; I like how it's ambiguously ironic--how it's both a dumb celebration and vicious satire of panty shot shows. Also nice to see some good comments on BOTTLE FAIRY, another under-rated show.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Bamboo,

Congratulations on 200. Shelf Life is one of the major reasons I come to ANN, as I find your reviews to be balanced, thoughtful, and well-considered. So thanks! Keep up the great work! Smile
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
B-503_MIA wrote:

BTW, have you ever posted pix of YOUR shelves???

If not please do--I have to see those PLEASE TWINS panty figures. COLORFUL is an awesome show; I like how it's ambiguously ironic--how it's both a dumb celebration and vicious satire of panty shot shows. Also nice to see some good comments on BOTTLE FAIRY, another under-rated show.

My shelves look terrible. That's the sad truth. I ran out of shelf space long ago, so everything's in bins or drawers, or cardboard boxes stashed under my bed. Not to mention half my collection is in Colorado at my parents' house.

I might take a photo of my toys one of these days, though... Then you can see all the panty figures and all the useless gee-gaws I've wasted money on over the years. ;p
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo. No no no no no no. The only time I've ever been a Ducks fan is when it was a Disney trilogy and involved Emilio.

Ya know when I first heard that there was going to be a REAL Ducks team i thought they were making a movie or using the cast or something. I was young....don't judge me lol. Embarassed Ya know...that would be nice to see though. An anime on hockey....it'll never happen but one can dream. They'd probably turn it into some cheesy Shonen series though.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Ya know when I first heard that there was going to be a REAL Ducks team i thought they were making a movie or using the cast or something. I was young....don't judge me lol. Embarassed Ya know...that would be nice to see though. An anime on hockey....it'll never happen but one can dream. They'd probably turn it into some cheesy Shonen series though.

I like to see a hockey anime too, but I don't think hockey is popular enough in Japan to warrent one.
madscripter
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Many Thanks to all your reviews

I am fairly new to anime only about 3 years. But have been a big fan of animation for a long time. Like classics like Heavy Metal and Bambi vs Godzilla

Keep up the good work. I just finished Please Teacher and watched the the 1st disc of Please Twins. Will defentaly become one of my favorites along with Air

Peace to all
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For the record, I live here too, and it's not really hot so much as it is 'pleasant' all the time. It just never gets cold and winter is just a slightly more overcast version of the fall, which bugs people who really love digging their cars out of the snow and dealing with icy roads.

I'm guessing you and Bamboo live more towards the east area and don't wear undergarments most of the time at home 'cause I was REALLY freezing these past couple days. Anything cooler and I'm a mansicle.

Bamboo, Orange loves you and your wacky adventures. Here's to another 2000!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I might take a photo of my toys one of these days, though... Then you can see [...] all the useless gee-gaws I've wasted money on over the years. ;p

So does this mean the the framed cells, or the wall scrolls, flank your diplomas?
wolfsbane12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Saikano and Air are two of my favorites, i don't tell certain people i know because they'd never let me hear the end of it but I can't get to "Akemi" without bawling my eyes out over that episode. I made the mistake of thinking Air was gonna be a cute little story until that ending, it caught me off guard, i acutally cried more because of that than because of Grave of the Fireflies.
But after i watch either of those i pop in Hellsing Ultimate and just bask in the warm glow of over-the-top gore from the greatest of that very underappreciated genre. You know, the English Vampires taking on Nazi Vampires who want to bring back the fourth reich while the vampire hunting them doens't entirely care, he just does it for kicks, man thats one of the big genres.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="SakechanBD"]
The Human Spider wrote:

My shelves look terrible. That's the sad truth. I ran out of shelf space long ago, so everything's in bins or drawers, or cardboard boxes stashed under my bed. Not to mention half my collection is in Colorado at my parents' house.

I might take a photo of my toys one of these days, though... Then you can see all the panty figures and all the useless gee-gaws I've wasted money on over the years. ;p

That kind of sounds like my shelves: everything's stacked two or three deep, with additional piles of stuff on the floor or in boxes.
A photo of your toys would be great. I'm always interested in seeing peoples' toys/figures collections--I'm a total toy geek.
david selim sayers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
I came across your column the other day. I don't agree with all your assessments regarding which anime are not so great (being, for instance, a big fan of Tekkonkinkreet), but your recommendations as to what is great have alerted me to some titles I would have never considered watching otherwise.

The first title I watched solely based on your recommendation was Rumbling Hearts. I was looking around on Hulu, it rang a bell because you had mentioned it, and... I watched it in two sittings (not in one sitting solely because I had to get up in the morning. But ironically, the first thing I did when I got up in the morning was--watch the rest of the series).

Now--a haremesque anime based off an erotic computer game? I wouldn't have poked this thing with a stick if you hadn't mentioned it, but I absolutely fell in love with it. It has the most thoughtful and mature storytelling I have ever seen in an anime, bar none. I'm happy to report that the title has made it into my current unofficial anime series top 5 (along with Eva, Erufen Rito, Lain, and Berserk).

Not until Shelf Life and Rumbling Hearts had I truly realized what an important function a professional reviewer fulfills. Thank you very much, congratulations on the 200, and here's to many more to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7