• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Second Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu TV Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but I re-iterate, you're a western fan, your fiancee is a western fan. You live in the west. You are not them, they are different. They don't have fangirls in the same way, and they surely don't act the same even if there were. Yeah I've run into tons of socialable attractive fangirls, but it doesn't work the same way in Japan. Were I an otaku, I'd most likely be a disagreeable and pungent nuisance that you'd want to avoid, and I would be incapable of hiding my love for anime, and have a terrible fashion sense.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE this show! Man, I'd kill for it to be licensed....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

How well do ecchi or fanservice shows usually do here?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Really? You don't see the difference? "We are not interested in 3d women, we want to marry 2d girls" means nothing? Otaku are not the same as western fans in the slightest. It's not cool or groovy to be an otaku, the term, even if it is lessening now, is still an insult in Japan. The Japanese are ashamed of these people because they don't fit in, they're looked down upon as a scourge on society, especially now that they don't contribute in the form of making babies. I don't believe the west has the same connotation going on.

er, I think your hate is influencing your perception
Just like you can't say all introverts are hikkimori, you can't extrapolate the the extreme case of "want to marry 2d girls" to all who consider themselves otaku (yes, in Japan).

No, being "otaku" is not mainstream and will probably never be outside of anime, but as I mentioned here
Quote:
.. People can still have their obsessions, while maintaining a social life, and make a decent living (spending power is right, lulz)

Many of your favorite titles also come out the otaku sub-culture, like Higurashi (see the documentary Akihabara Geeks) and any Type Moon stuff (Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai).

For a different and less cynical perspective, see http://dannychoo.com and http://www.kirainet.com (who works with Danny and "plays" as Darth Vader)
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
i rather loved this show...

it's sweet love story like in Ai Yori Aoshi...except the girl is otaku...and quite a lovely high school girl....

i would love to see where the two of them go...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
JairStout wrote:

How well do ecchi or fanservice shows usually do here?

Statistically, I don't know. I do know they're considered niche and all, but I recall Shuffle! and Kanon being fairly successful. IMO, this is like a moe (yet still slightly self-depricating in that respect) and obviously less dramatic version of Welcome to the NHK, and that too, as far as I know, has done well.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The first season was hardly the greatest anime ever, but it had a certain sweetness and sincerity to it that could make it endearing, as well as a lot of funny moments and parodies of/references to other anime titles. It stood at least a bit above typical sappy romantic comedies in that it heavily emphasized accepting someone for who they really are, rather than who they're perceived to be, as a key factor in the relationship and built a reasonable foundation for why the hot girl would want to be with the guy.

I'm not going to deny that it specifically panders to otaku, because nearly every aspect of the show does do that. However, it also aims at least a bit higher than that, giving it an appeal and value above and beyond being just a purely fan-pandering work. That's why I will be watching its second season, too.

Last edited by Key on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
rekoloki wrote:
Ehhh...I didn't feel like it was a bad show, I did enjoy it when I watched it. I just didn't feel like there was much there beyond what had already been done. Legitimately what is left to be said? If it is going to be a repeat of the first season, then it would be like beating dead horse for a cash cow. (Weird how that animal reference played out)

Well, this is based off of a light novel series. Presumably there's a lot more material that they could animate (but I don't really know much about the source material, so it's just a supposition).

I'm very happy to hear this, since I really ended up liking the first series a lot and was wanting more of these characters. I didn't think we would be getting it, so this is welcome news to me.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy

You and your fiancee = western nerds/fans. You're not pure blooded Yamato Japanese otaku. Massive difference, incomparable really.

I've met several fangirls/fanboys (both Western and Japanese) and there's really nothing different about them. Some are well rounded, cool people and others are socially awkward with bad hygiene. It's the same all over the world.
Japan has moderate fanboys and fangirls, not just super otaku hikikkomori.
rekoloki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
rekoloki wrote:
Ehhh...I didn't feel like it was a bad show, I did enjoy it when I watched it. I just didn't feel like there was much there beyond what had already been done. Legitimately what is left to be said? If it is going to be a repeat of the first season, then it would be like beating dead horse for a cash cow. (Weird how that animal reference played out)

Well, this is based off of a light novel series. Presumably there's a lot more material that they could animate (but I don't really know much about the source material, so it's just a supposition).

I'm very happy to hear this, since I really ended up liking the first series a lot and was wanting more of these characters. I didn't think we would be getting it, so this is welcome news to me.

You and I will both have to just wait and see Smile I hope it is new content, that would give me something to look forward to in the upcomming season!
8zouci8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Anyone know when they plann on comming out with season 2? Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
8zouci8 wrote:

No details have been announced yet. It isn't on the spring schedule, though, so it certainly won't be earlier than July.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
8zouci8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
8zouci8 wrote:

No details have been announced yet. It isn't on the spring schedule, though, so it certainly won't be earlier than July.

Gah! that sucks. well thanks for teh info. can u send me a heads up if you find anything out about it. thanks!
HammerU89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm banking it will take from the novels where the first season left off. Although it strayed from the novels as most anime do. I'm guessing it will be about Haruka becoming an idol. Also Yuto should have his hands full with Shiina as she starts her pursuit of him. I guess they can throw in more with the battle maids if my memory is correct. All depends on the producers and how they want to take it.

It be nice to keep it simple as in season one, a very light hearted innocent romance. Hence the manga title "Innocent Smile", and that's the way the novels stay throughout.
8zouci8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
HammerU89 wrote:
I'm banking it will take from the novels where the first season left off. Although it strayed from the novels as most anime do. I'm guessing it will be about Haruka becoming an idol. Also Yuto should have his hands full with Shiina as she starts her pursuit of him. I guess they can throw in more with the battle maids if my memory is correct. All depends on the producers and how they want to take it.

It be nice to keep it simple as in season one, a very light hearted innocent romance. Hence the manga title "Innocent Smile", and that's the way the novels stay throughout.

Sounds interesting. But, when ever it does come out I hope it will be good like season 1 was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2