• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
David Lucas/Steve Blum conspiracy ques.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hey peeps. I was watching Cowboy Bebop last week (I think) and in the credits, Steve Blum was listed. Since they scroll by so fast, I couldn't see if David Lucas was listed too, but anyway.

I know they both have a very similar voice and people often get confused between the two. But if it's known that Lucas does the voice for Spike in CB, why was Steve Blum listed in the credits? Maybe Lucas was sick and they had to have his voice..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:05 am Reply with quote
Often anime voice actors use fake names. The reason for this is that the screen actors guild has kind of a minimum wage set for actors. Since anime companys can't(Or couldn't at the time, don't know about now) afford to pay the minimum amount people use fake names because if the SAG finds out they lose their guild card which makes it harder for them to get work. David Lucas and Steve Blum are the same person.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hm. Well, I know I can trust you's guys at ANN! While looking up the subject, I found this: http://www.jazzmess.com/misc/dl.html

Either someone made it up, or Lucas/Blum just did that to throw people off. Who knows?

A lot of sites I went to listed Blum as doing Digimon and Transformers stuff, but they also listed him as dong Bebop as well, and it's all so freaking confusing! But at least I know now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Because of the union issues, some actors chose to work with pseudonyms, and often want to keep them a secret. There are also occasionaly other reasons that an actor wants to keep their identity secret.

If a person's psudonym/real name aren't public knowledge, and they personally request us to split them up in the Encyc, we do.

Otherwise, if we discover via other, reliable sources that two people are in fact 1, we merge them in the Encyclopedia.

A good example would be a producer that we recently found out had also done some voice acting under another name. This fact was definitely not common knowledge outside of the industry, so when the producer/actor asked us to lis the names seperately we did (out of respect for their wishes).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1