• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2002 in review (semi-OT)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:01 pm Reply with quote
2002 sucked, and here's why.

Sniff. May you Rock the Casbah in heaven along with Hendrix and Entwistle, Mr. Strummer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:52 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking about movies, far and away the best films of the year are:

Gangs of New York
Adaptation
Far from Heaven
The Pianist
About Schmidt

I'm a huge Lord of the Rings nerd but The Two Towers isn't really a complete film, so it isn't on the list. It was a cool 3 hours, but the only reason Lord of the Rings isn't one big movie is because audience attention spans, rightfully so, do not last 12 hours. Hence, Two Towers has no beginning and no end. It starts and it stops, but in the face of movies like Gangs and Adaptation, it's unfair to say that the middle of LOTR is better than the whole effort by other filmmakers. I forgot about Episode II and Spider-man a while back. Summer blockbusters are fun, but forgettable, and really don't belong on any best of or even high points of 2002 list.

Anyway.
-Zac
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:32 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5 films, all to which I'd give *****/*****, are, in alphabetical order only,

About Schmidt
Adaptation
Catch Me If You Can
Lilo & Stitch and
Punch-Drunk Love

though I may add Confessions of a Dangerous Mind to that list after I see it. I don't have an out and out favourite this year though, like The Royal Tenenbaums for 2001.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of history in review, what ever happened to Scott Green's month in review column?
Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2