• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Joshiraku (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Quite a bit of violence in this episode, funny how it can still get laughs. As for laughs, I totally lost it when they were talking about good smells, and the had the so far innocent Kigurumi mentioned spoiler[sniffing the crotch of plushies.] Laughing Reminded of that one sister juice injection joke.

This show at least fills in my reference parody quota. They did a bit of self depreciation by mentioning the three brothers from spoiler[SZS having glasses], I understand that there is a crossover from authors or something. But much better when we got a trail of what must be spoiler[otaku cosplaying], I was able to identify: spoiler[Saito, Tabitha, Siesta, Julio, Henrietta, Guiche, and Kirche from Zero no Tsukaima, Misaka, Touma, Kuroko, and Index from To aru Majutsu no Index, Sonya and Yasuna from Kill me Baby, Taiga from Tora Dora, Aria from Aria the Scarlet ammo, and Misaki Mei from Another.]

Oh and I found an interesting bit about the show from Wikipedia, all of the girl's names are puns: Marī Buratei (orange haired girl) is "Bloody Mary" (not sure if the drink or the ghost). Kigurumi Harōkitei (blonde/cream hair) is "Hello Kitty" the cute mascot, and apparently kigurumi is that thing where people wear those creepy anime masks. Tetora Bōhatei (brown ponytail) is apparently Breakwater structures (protect against erosion) and Tetropods which are those four legged concrete things near water. Gankyō Kūrubiyūtei (glasses girl) is a pun on "cool beauty", and glasses. Kukuru Anrakutei (long black hair), apparently her names are puns on the word for euthanasia and for "to hang".

Finally, loved the spoiler[bunny] suits.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
KIM JONG UUUUUUUUNNNNN

I know it's impossible to tell given the character design, but I like how these characters are in their early 20s, or extremely late teens, and they still act their age. Most anime make 20 year olds into super mature world-weary knowitalls, and that's annoying.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that was cosplay and it was simply the JC Staff characters leaving the JC Staff building, like they were clocking out of work, or something. That's what I thought and it made me laugh. Hard.

That Shin-chan parody was fantastic. At first I wasn't sure if that's what they were doing, but then he punched the one girl and I immediately thought, "Yup, they're doing a Shin-chan parody!".

I am so glad I decided to watch this. This and Kokoro Connect are definitely my favorites.

EDIT: Nevermind, that's the building where Comiket is held, so it was cosplayers. They all just happened to be JC Staff characters. Little disappointed there was no Lina Inverse in there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Nevermind, that's the building where Comiket is held, so it was cosplayers. They all just happened to be JC Staff characters. Little disappointed there was no Lina Inverse in there.

They were all from recent shows, like within the last year and a half or so recent. I was hoping for two Comiket episodes in a week, but the fake out was nice too.

This might be one of my top shows for the season, every scenario has good humor and thoughtfulness worked into the interaction. The show knows what it is and runs with it well, while not going overboard in the zaniness, or lingering too long on one topic and reducing the arguments down to the smallest fragment like SZS commonly does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

My favorite joke in this show is definitely the ones where we see Kigu have an inner dialogue about just acting cute. After some of her very funny childish and sweet acts (I was going to link a pic to her plushie smelling), it so much funnier when we see her being so self aware.

There are some truly brilliant moments, like the horrors in the room, that one seen about sparks flying with the zipper. I think I saw art of that somewhere, so it was extra funny. Some of the jokes really do get lost in translation, especially those kanji jokes, but I liked the one where they edited their names a bit, kind of pointed out their strangeness. Especially spoiler[Youth N. Asia] was my favorite, took me a second to get it though, spoiler[Helloky T. Fursuit] is a fairly close second.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
I thought I might give an update of what has been happening, it would see, that fansub groups actually dropped this series for a few weeks something I felt quite sad about. I think reasons were something about some people and groups considering the show untranslatable, the jokes hard to get across, and the idea that non Japanese would not get a lot of the things.

I got worried as I rather liked this show, and not just the songs which I do like, there were some things I did not get but I always take it as a chance to learn about the culture of my biggest hobby. The show has since started getting released again, and is plenty of fun, but I have been putting more attention at noticing the attempts to try and make the jokes understandable, sometimes you can tell that they have been forced to totally change it.

But I will talk about the recent episode I watched, since that is why I am writing this, sp episode 10. The talk about American culture, mainly Halloween, made it especially obvious about the differences in culture. I thought certain anime implied that a good portion don't even know what it is, although my own country is not really close to America's. It has to be rather ironic that the episode included them conploaining about not be able to talk about Mickey mouse due to laws, bit they pretty much did it relentlessly, not to mention that they did pretty much scariest versions of Mickey, Donald and Goofy I have seen. And Ironic that in their reference of K-ON complained about that haveing too good animation for things and or unnecesarilly done. But they really did some unnecesary use of animation, like the big shoot out.

Also lol at the District 9 reference.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, as a New Zealander I thought the skit in a recent episode featuring a Westerner kidnapping Marii (because he thought she was being abused) and then carrying her off on the Ady Gil was pretty daring. Certainly raised my eyebrows.

J.C. Staff have effed up a lot lately, but they really have done themselves proud on this show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I think death metal, I think KISS...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

Sadly I only just realized that the series was all subbed, or I just did not have time to check. Anyway I really liked how aware they were of the last episode thing, the attached centementality of saying goodbye to series is nice, and connected to being near to such time a core later.

But I really liked the annoying character, she totally cracked me up, epecially when she did an spoiler[all her opening], too funny. Throwing the characters off like that was good.

Also noted that the series ended with begining of an act, just like the ED song, and how the series started with an end of act that each episode starts with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2