• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...your average episode of Chowder or Batman: The Brave and the Bold are shining examples of depth and meaning on par with the work of Dostoyevsky.

It's funny because C. H. Greenblatt just wrote a letter... last week? because he didn't like all the Chowder hate on a site he frequents.
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I really like Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum! Why did they have to agree to be in such an awful movie!? D:

I tried to be optimistic, but I pretty much knew it would be bad. ]:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
That being said, Astro Boy looks like it could be a really enjoyable family film. Cowboy Bebop is too lax on info to drop the hammer yet, but the name of Keanu Reeves is a very scary harbinger. (At least their choice for how to approach the plot seemed intelligent.)

As someone else said earlier, "Cowboy Bebop" is at least episodic, so they wouldn't be trying to condense many volumes of manga into 90 minutes; they've already said they're taking one episode and expanding it. That worked for the animated movie (i.e., being the equivalent of a long episode), so story-wise, it's a very smart decision.

But yes, I too fear the curse of Keanu Reeves. Sometimes if the director is good enough, sometimes you can get a good performance out of a terrible actor... I'm not expecting much, though. Neo was about the best role for him, since it demonstrated the full range of emotions he can express: stoic and confused. And maybe stoned, too. I'm still smarting from his cardboard portrayal of Constantine.

As for Astro Boy, there you've got a similar situation to American comic books in that the series went on for decades and was composed of many smaller arcs as opposed to one long-running story. If studios play their cards right, they can construct a new story that captures the spirit of the manga/anime. It also has the advantage of being animated, as opposed to live action, which will cut down on the cheese, and since it was a kid's series to begin with, this is the one adaptation I have any real hope for. What worries me is its history of money problems...

I was never big into Dragonball personally, but I could see where the show could hold some appeal, so I'm sorry to all you fans who have had their series eviscerated and left to rot. Go re-watch your DVDs and remind yourself why you got into this in the first place.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
While reading the review I experienced various nostalgic feelings I once had.... for bad TV US superhero shows. I didn't grow up during those times but I caught the reruns and the DBZ movie seems like it will give me the same feelings I had when I discoverd the Spider-Man TV series and Captain America Movie, and then after I finally saw them. It's very similar to how I felt about the malaysian DB movie... My stomach hurts... *blarg*...

This hurts in any case sense anime to movie adaptions so far are 0 - 2. Or 1 - 3 if you count Transformers. And yes I know some of you purist hated Transformers but regardless it was a good movie even if it wasn't too faithful to the source material. But look at DB:E. It strayed from the source too but seemed to have hit all the wrong notes.

Hopefully we get a few more Anime fans in the movie business who actually grew up with Anime in the future. The same kind of fans doing superhero movies now.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'll watch this just to see how bad they f*cked it up. I feel bad for the franchise...
braves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm hoping this movie won't end up damaging the franchise as a whole.

Meh. I doubt it. It looks like Dragon Ball Kai came out just in time to remind everybody how good DB can be. Wink

In any case, I'm still going to watch this. It'll obviously be the Early Bird Showing so that I can spend the least amount of money while still being in a theater. Hilarious review, though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
You know...

Nobody who uses the phrase "anime fan" to describe oneself can be happy unless a company like Kyoto Animation handles what needed to be handled. You just can not be happy at all with anything otherwise.

I'm convinced now. Or, should I say, I haven't been proved wrong at all.

I seen bigger hearts used for that "tent city," filled with people who had gained bad luck and had now became homeless, north of Downtown Sacramento than on the web. No love or any form of acceptance from "anime fans" at all. Whatsoever. Period.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Optimists were still very much "This movie won't be worse then any Uwe Boll film" and from what I've seen, it isn't.

Glowing praise, that is: "This movie won't be worse than complete garbage."
Beryl7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...your average episode of Chowder or Batman: The Brave and the Bold are shining examples of depth and meaning on par with the work of Dostoyevsky.

A Dostoyevsky reference! Score!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow.
When I read thru your review, I had deja vu for the biting review done about a year ago on Speed Racer so I was actually shocked for all the negative talk in that review that Speed Racer actually pulled a B(-?) while being compared to getting hit in the skull by a hammer.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
My friend was saying he would rather watch this movie in the theatre than Watchmen. So I'll be probably be accompanying him to the theatre in April. Perhaps Chatwin might be able to win the Razzie for worst actor. That's probably the lowest rated review I've seen on here ever. Although I'm not surprised at all after seeing who wrote it Laughing
RamenPoodle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy telling me that the movie is absolutely terrible does nothing to convince me to not to see it. As a matter of fact, because Zac hated it, I might just see it at the midnight showing. I didn't like his condescending attitude as Answerman, I don't like his condescending attitude on these forums and I don't like his attitude in this review towards clearly A CHILDREN'S FILM.

It's funny, but the farther and farther I read into Zac's review, the more I saw him as one of those jaded DB fanboys that were determined to hate the movie from the very moment they entered the theater, the very ones that Zac discussed.

Why have someone like that write a review for a movie that obviously needs to be mindlessly enjoyed and not scrutinized? Even the original DB was pure mindless entertainment. It wasn't like any profound or thought provoking piece of literature, and was never intended as such. It seems like this film does at least some things correctly, more things than Zac gives it credit for.

But of course I shouldn't be surprised. I suspect anyone would have difficulty enjoying anything when they have a gigantic metal pole shoved 5/6 of the way up their arse.

Now let's play a game: How long before Zac figures out that someone trashed his "good name" and he gets all butthurt, calling me names and throwing me off the forum? Smile
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
RamenPoodle wrote:
Zac Bertschy telling me that the movie is absolutely terrible does nothing to convince me to not to see it. As a matter of fact, because Zac hated it, I might just see it at the midnight showing. I didn't like his condescending attitude as Answerman, I don't like his condescending attitude on these forums and I don't like his attitude in this review towards clearly A CHILDREN'S FILM.

It's funny, but the farther and farther I read into Zac's review, the more I saw him as one of those jaded DB fanboys that were determined to hate the movie from the very moment they entered the theater, the very ones that Zac discussed.

Why have someone like that write a review for a movie that obviously needs to be mindlessly enjoyed and not scrutinized? Even the original DB was pure mindless entertainment. It wasn't like any profound or
thought provoking piece of literature, and was never intended as such.
It seems like this film does at least some things correctly, more things
than Zac gives it credit for.

But of course I shouldn't be surprised. I suspect anyone would have difficulty enjoying anything when they have a gigantic metal pole
shoved 5/6 of the way up their arse.

Hhhhmmm . . .

Perhaps you may have something there.I might watch DBE out of
simple curiosity if nothing else,then decide if it's good or not ...
AngelusTenabrea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
that's... really too bad that it's that terrible... but what does anyone expect out of FOX nowadays except utter failure and/or stupidity?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
RamenPoodle wrote:
Now let's play a game: How long before Zac figures out that someone trashed his "good name" and he gets all butthurt, calling me names and throwing me off the forum? Smile

If you have a point to make that disagrees with what Zac says, then he is not going to simply discard it and throw you off the forums. Now if you're going to taunt him, then you may have a problem. Make the point, don't indict yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17