• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Quarterly & Annual Losses Mount, Shares Drop 30%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
YAY!!! 4Kids is broke!!! No more shitty dubs!...Well, no more EXTREMELY shitty dubs! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
severe deterioration of consumer confidence starting in September 2008

Gee, I wonder how ever that could've happened? Rolling Eyes Now if they'll just lose their licenses' contracts hopefully FUNi or another company can begin the rescue process for their other titles. *prays for Shaman King* Anime catgrin
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I would like to join people hailing this as the divine punishment of the cosmos unto 4kids but not only is that wishful thinking, I just don't think they need the assistance.

To me this is just Darwinism at work. Cold, calculating, unforgiving, and purifying Darwinism. Twisted Evil At least I hope this is the case; perhaps with enough licensees sustaining self-inflicted wounds by way of poor quality control other possibly salvageable parties will come to their senses. Imagine: a world without censorship, without self-important HD "remastering"...

Yeah right. Oh well, I guess if it matters enough I can always import. Very Happy
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Quote:
severe deterioration of consumer confidence starting in September 2008

Gee, I wonder how ever that could've happened? Rolling Eyes Now if they'll just lose their licenses' contracts hopefully FUNi or another company can begin the rescue process for their other titles. *prays for Shaman King* Anime catgrin

Man, that'd be nice (especially if I had the money), but there's really little chance of Shaman King being revived. The only things that are happening now with it is the usual graphic-novel-only release by Viz (which I too got upset with for some of their edits in SJ) and the last "conclusive" chapter to the franchise. There just doesn't seem to be enough momentum anywhere, and the market doesn't seem to be in want of it, despite it being somewhat short for a tournament-style shonen series. Heck, we were almost there with the re-scripted uncut dvds that were being released w/ Funimation's help (despite being dub-titled), but thanks to the general fanbase, we never got past volume 2 (which I happily own).

Who knows... maybe there will be some daring rescue operation, but I won't count on it, not by a longshot. Try for the fansubs....doubt 4kids is doing anything to try and stop any (plus, hasn't their license expired?)

And to make it quick about the whole 4kids thing: they really, REALLY barely matter anymore.

*goes to see 1st season of 24 on dvd*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd put this out there, but 4Kids is now streaming the first two episodes of Yugioh: Duel Monsters uncut. Though, there's no subtitles up for the video yet, my guess they'll be putting it up through the CC feature. I guess we can only wait and see.
mumbo230

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Of course Viz is more of a threat to anime in North America. Viz puts out its share of crappy Americanized dubs - Blue Dragon, Zatch Bell, etc. - and Viz licenses series like a house on fire. Viz licenses series, sits on them for years, and does nothing with them. They license series, do a season of them, and then just dump them, DVD releases and dubbing production together. Hell they've even considered quitting Bleach for God's sake, their number two series. Naruto is their priority and little else - besides Death Note and maybe Bleach - matters much to them.

Meanwhile 4Kids doesn't license anime anymore, except for the occasional toyetic one that otaku hate anyway - Dinosaur King and 5D's. The days of massacring One Piece are over, my friends. Caring about 4Kids going under is more of a revenge thing now I guess, but they aren't a threat to anime in North America at all anymore.

Oh well, Viz is hurting pretty bad too if their lack of TV time and layoffs is any indication, and vendors probably cut back and returned DVD inventory along with TCG inventory. You just can't tell with them them though because they're not on the stock market, so they don't have to make any of that public.
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Bwahahahahaha Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
D Dubbs wrote:
Eh...this sucks. Just when 4Kids starts to improve, they fall hardest. Their CW4Kids block is very enjoyable, as far as kids blocks go. I enjoy watching shows like Huntik and Kamen Rider. Plus 4Kids is becoming more interactive with older fans, by answering questions and listening to constructive criticism on their YouTube page.

Yeah, that is something I think everyone can agree with. 4Kids is the last company trying to keep Saturday morning Network children's blocks alive. Everyone else is either repeating their spinoff channels junk. Or is aimed solely at the preschool, or younger children audience.

No kidding cause if it goes,then that'll go as well. For people who don't have cable or Sattelite that is cause there is still Cartoon Network's Saturday Crush Zone at least though the only think that's new is pocket monsters: diamond & pearl. Luckily i'm a 100% pokemon fanatic so i got no worrys when 4kids go belly hop. Laughing

[b]Also when in the holy high hell is Viz Media worse than 4kids??

Sure they was some question for unfinished series like Zatch Bell but at least just like with naruto there edits don't completely destory a series. the dub version of those series were great though it's a shame that the're no longer show any dubs of naruto and zatch bell though. and yea,there was the issue with blue dragon and eyeshield 21,but they were treated the same as well, though i kinda admit that funimation would've been the better licensor for both those series epecially blue dragon since anyhing related to akira toyamia gets enchanced in spades by them ever since DBZ. What i'm trying to say is that there's no chance in hades that they can be as worse as 4kids cause the're actually much better at bringing anime to all ages,young audience and the hardcore anime fans alike.

Don't believe me,then compare there dubs over 4kids carefully. You'll see they PWNED 4kids anyday of the week.[/color]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
TOO BAD SO SAD!! Although I do feel really bad for the people losing their jobs. D:

Also,

Viz>>>>>4Kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3