• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spring Cleaning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The shelves: Looks like someone's got some bootleg Full Metal Panic DVDs there.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Dokuro-Chan was a WTF series at first, and funny to watch. Then it got redundant, and also ended on a whim, which only made it less enjoyable to try and follow. I also tried picking up the manga but even that wasn't anything worth trying to delve into. Honestly speaking I don't think it's worth the pick-up, unless you want to see blood splattered in a hilarious way every episode.
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I so want Dokuro-Chan! It's one of my favs and it's so random X3 I love NDB so much too > _ < Ugh I wish I had money again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd really recommend tracking down the ADV singles release of NDB, due to the ADV-Vid notes, printed liner notes, and wide selection of other extras that didn't make it to ADV's thinpack or this Funimation re-release.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
physicist wrote:

Disadvantages include the difficulty in bringing supplies, equipment and personnel to such a remote site. More importantly, the Solomon Islands have recently suffered political instability and ethnic violence. On the other hand, the real estate is probably cheap.

Yeah, there's no correllation there, riiiight? Laughing

This column reminds me that I never picked up Dokuro's sister-series Puni-chan, that one was pretty awesome as well Twisted Evil .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Did the audio commentary with Nabeshin make it on the the FUNi release? Granted, it's not really a "commentary" but more of a "listen to two Japanese people ramble on about random stuff", but it was fun random stuff and somewhat entertaining at times, especially with Hideki's Japanese VA.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
*reads Bamboo's review of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan*

*adds it to his Amazon shopping cart*

Thanks for the wonderful (as always) reviews, Bamboo! Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, Rocket Girls looks original, but I highly doubt I'd watch the whole series. But if the main characters were college students or at least slightly older, I might consider it.

Nothing really spectactuclar this week though.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
The shelves: Looks like someone's got some bootleg Full Metal Panic DVDs there.

I noticed that too.
However, that's about all I noticed - whoever photographed those shelves needs to check the flash on their camera, or turn on some lights, or something - how are we supposed to stare in awe at shelves if we can't see what's on them?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree on Rocket Girls, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would (I will admit that my expectations were pretty low). First rented via Netflix, then picked up the set during a good sale.

The opener is one of my recent most favorites, and just hearing it after I popped the disc in, got me excited to see the rest.

I bought Dokuro-chan and enjoyed it a lot. But after sitting through it three more times showing it to others.... the only enjoyment you get is seeing how other people react to good old fashioned cartoon violence. I got (given the cheap price) more than my money's worth out of it. Punie-chan has held up better.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I first watched Dokuro-chan after stumbling across its opening on YouTube, an opening that left me thinking something like, "...what the hell was that?" Very Happy I just had to see a bit of the show behind the madness, and what I saw smashed my brain into bits. Non-stop randomness, hilarious external references (even Bush had a cameo), over-the-top gore, a bit of fanservice...the whole deal. It was an incredibly fun ride. I didn't feel like the second season (which I think is included in this release) could hold up the level of the first, but that alone is worth the price of admission. Honestly, though, this was just about the last series I ever expected to be licensed in the first place.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, I saw a trailer for Daikon Brothers on the Jinki: Extend DVD and it seriously cracked me up. Definitely cracked me up. I'll consider it Anime hyper
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Lovin' the love for KKM. <3 And there's nothing wrong with being a Wolfram fangirl. That's specifically why I love the ending. Very Happy (Though I hope the third season comes to the US shores and that petitions for the fourth go through in Japan! Sad)

I really want to watch Nerima Daikon Brothers so bad. D: I've been putting off buying it for so long. I've seen scenes from Dokuro-chan and it just seems boring to me. Not to mention it's the same thing over and over again with her chopping off his head and blood going everywhere. Hm. To each their own.

And Ms. Dong, about that hasty buying of KKM, I watched the first DVD and in about...a week, I had all fifteen that were released. Very Happy I will never regret buying my favorite anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a very non-PC affection for Japanese school-girl anime series & Rocket Girls is one of the funniest & does the fan-service really well.

Attractive without being too obvious about it (skin-tight space suits save weight, oh yeah!).

Wish they'd do a second season - RG @ ISS, Love & Rockets in Space. Tatami ISS? Lots of room for fun & games.

Regards,
Nico M
London Shocked
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear that Rocket Girls has not done well Neutral Crying or Very sad ; I rather enjoyed it. I guess that the licensee was wise to not invest in voice acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3