• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Let me ask you this: have you actually met a girl with "genuine" emotional issues in your life that you can empathize with?

As for myself personally, no and no. Because 1)real women do get emotional, but they're much better at handling their own emotions because they're more skilled at empathy than... 2)us men, do to our brain functions and our testosterone, tend to put our emotions and others' at less of a priority and thus, we're the ones that are more prone to emotional issues because when compared to women, we're emotionally more fragile because we're less empathetic than women.

Which is also why when women do get emotional, they would rather talk to one of their own first through socializing, and us men get referrals to see a psychiatrists. And why the moe anime scenarios are so unrealistic and unbelievable, it's negatively portraying women in general. Because real women don't behave like the ones in moe anime like Air, Kanon, and Clannad.

Then wake up and see the fact of life, for real life is not like moe anime at all not just because moe is a fantasy, but also not ideal.

I knew two very depressed girls in school, and yes they did not like "moe" girls. Both of them were boring people to be with, because most of the time they complained how depressed they were. I also knew several other girls with smaller issues. You did a good job portraying both women and men in a unrealistic way.

You don't expect super robots to act like real robots or want to see the hot blooded hero piss his pants, because he is scared of dying. You except the robot to do a rocket punch and see the hero never give up. In the same way we don't except the girls in Clannad to be real people (though some of the characters act realistically especially in After Story). If I want to meet real people I meet with my friends or talk with people at work.

I just can't understand why a person who loves Godannar, which is full of people acting in very unrealistic ways, can't understand that people are not expecting to see real people in Clannad.
not_awaken

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As good as the series looks, only in the Key emotional scenes does its soundtrack make much of an impact, though it works quite well in those cases. Most of the rest of the time it provides a succession of humdrum musical numbers that sound like they were lifted from the background score for a dating sim.

That's exactly what they did, though--all the background music for the Clannad anime was taken directly from the game's soundtrack or one of the many remix/arrangement/image albums. The only anime original songs AFAIK are the first season's ED and the OP and ED of After Story (and even those are based on tracks from the game, except maybe the After Story ED). I don't mind this approach in and of itself; the borrowed game soundtrack is a lot better IMHO than the original music written for Toei's theatrical adaptation, at least. The problem is that there's not enough game music to fill two full anime seasons and so a lot of the tracks get reused annoyingly often. "Machi, toki no nagare, hito" (heard during the blue-tinted opening scene) is a great track, but it seems to get played every other episode.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
You don't expect super robots to act like real robots or want to see the hot blooded hero piss his pants, because he is scared of dying. You except the robot to do a rocket punch and see the hero never give up.

Yes, actually, I do expect robots to follow the general laws of physics, which is why I don't like the vast majority of mecha. And I do like to see some depths in my heroes, which is why I can't stand, say, the character Naruto.

Some people don't like unrealistic characters. There's nothing wrong with that, any more than there is in liking unrealistic characters. It's a matter of taste.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Some people don't like unrealistic characters. There's nothing wrong with that, any more than there is in liking unrealistic characters. It's a matter of taste.
Exactly, which is why I like the characters from all of my favorite super robot anime series. Because I like positive character trades, and super robot anime series like Godannar are just simply full of them. They are unrealistic because they are so ideal, however they're inspiring yet fun to watch. Very Happy
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
That's interesting, because I had the opposite reaction. Clannad was in my "Buy" list until I saw "After Story"
*goes on about how After Story's ending sucked*

Where were you when I was mauled in the After Story thread for having this same opinion? I could have used some support there Wink
But, I liked the first Clannad series enough to just stick with that one and forget about After Story. I even liked it enough to forgive the absence of a dub. But in the end, I'd have to say that Kanon was my favorite of the Key series'.

Taiyz wrote:
I'd say there's still a bias, but more in relation to the definition of the series than the rating it gets.

Good grief, any way they can slip an accusation in, huh? I mean here we have a very positive review of a series that ANN is 'suppose to hate' and people are still throwing accusations. Whatever, I'll stay away from that topic from now on...
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
A "moe anime" is any series where most or all of the girls are moe (as in this one) and the plot is primarily moe-driven, that is, where (as stated in this review) the story centers around the male lead.

People don't like this style of story because 1) it sometimes eliminates strong female leads, women who can take care of themselves

Almost all of the Clannad girls can take care of themselves. The After Story continues even after the main cast graduates from high school and the girls seem to be doing well even without meeting Tomoya for several years. The characters who really needs help is spoiler[Tomoya. Nagisa is helping him much more than he is helping her.] I really hate how moe is constantly used in different meanings, because Tomoyo, Kyou and Yukine don't really fit the helpless "little sister moe" you are talking about.

vashfanatic wrote:
I've yet to hear of one where it's female) goes around fixing the girls' problems, or helping them fix their own problems

Fruits Basket and a mountain of shoujo manga and otome games have the heroines helping people with their problems. If it needs to be a girls fixing other girls problems, then there is several yuri games and Maria-sama ga Miteru.

vashfanatic wrote:
(And if anyone brings up my agreement with such snark on the Shigurui thread, I had foolishly assumed that no moe-fan would be reading a thread on an hyperviolent series like Shigurui, and I apologize)

Few people are pure moe-fans. Most of the time they are people who just happen to also like "moe". I think Clannad After Story was a masterpiece, but I also like watching old shows like Patlabor, Gunbuster and Macross or violent shows like Shigurui. Just look at Genshiken, all of the guys like both Kujibiki Unbalance and original Gundam.

vashfanatic wrote:
Yes, actually, I do expect robots to follow the general laws of physics, which is why I don't like the vast majority of mecha. And I do like to see some depths in my heroes, which is why I can't stand, say, the character Naruto.

This was mainly aimed at Dom and his love of super robots. I love both real and super robots and was trying to make a point that certain type of tropes are to expected in certain type of shows.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
A "moe anime" is any series where most or all of the girls are moe (as in this one) and the plot is primarily moe-driven, that is, where (as stated in this review) the story centers around the male lead.

People don't like this style of story because 1) it sometimes eliminates strong female leads, women who can take care of themselves

Almost all of the Clannad girls can take care of themselves. The After Story continues even after the main cast graduates from high school and the girls seem to be doing well even without meeting Tomoya for several years. The characters who really needs help is spoiler[Tomoya. Nagisa is helping him much more than he is helping her.] I really hate how moe is constantly used in different meanings, because Tomoyo, Kyou and Yukine don't really fit the helpless "little sister moe" you are talking about.
So when you can clearly see that even female characters in Clannad are mature and strong on their own, just what must male characters like Tomoyo, Kyou and Yukine, who are really the ones with emotional issues in the end, were lacking all this time throughout the moe anime that's Air, Kanon, and Clannad? Three words: Positive moral support.

4nBlue wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I've yet to hear of one where it's female) goes around fixing the girls' problems, or helping them fix their own problems

Fruits Basket and a mountain of shoujo manga and otome games have the heroines helping people with their problems. If it needs to be a girls fixing other girls problems, then there is several yuri games and Maria-sama ga Miteru.
And surprisingly, none of them are moe.

4nBlue wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
(And if anyone brings up my agreement with such snark on the Shigurui thread, I had foolishly assumed that no moe-fan would be reading a thread on an hyperviolent series like Shigurui, and I apologize)

Few people are pure moe-fans. Most of the time they are people who just happen to also like "moe". I think Clannad After Story was a masterpiece, but I also like watching old shows like Patlabor, Gunbuster and Macross or violent shows like Shigurui. Just look at Genshiken, all of the guys like both Kujibiki Unbalance and original Gundam.
And none of them can see the anti-war meaning which was what the original creator of Mobile Suit Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino, was trying to get across. Not to mention the importance of culture and love in Macross, nor the value of effort and guts in GunBuster.

4nBlue wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

This was mainly aimed at Dom and his love of super robots. I love both real and super robots and was trying to make a point that certain type of tropes are to expected in certain type of shows.
But you failed to see the fundamental humanism behind the superficial of super robot, real robot, and moe anime genre. So just what is it exactly that your opinion for my preference of super robot anime, has to do with my opinion on moe anime like Clannad being a negative mental influence in anime subculture?
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Where were you when I was mauled in the After Story thread for having this same opinion? I could have used some support there
But, I liked the first Clannad series enough to just stick with that one and forget about After Story. I even liked it enough to forgive the absence of a dub. But in the end, I'd have to say that Kanon was my favorite of the Key series'.

Sorry about that man, but I usually just stick to reading the news and articles and rarely venture into the forums. But if it makes you feel any better, I would have had your back 100%. "After Story" actively pissed me off to the point that unlike you I could not invest in any of the franchise.
Again, I recommend "Clannad" to any non-completists, but for "After Story" I say preview the series before you spend your money on it (if it comes to R1). It is a different animal from "Clannad."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand your beef with After Story. Personally, I didn't like the ending either.

However, do I wish I had never seen After Story? Absolutely not! The emotional value of episodes 12-21 make up for the last episode by tenfold.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
It's the fact that every single series like this, when reviewed on ANN, is referred to as a "moe" anime with "broken" girls. As if moe was actually a genre instead of a design trend. I find these comments to be severe overreactions, and some sort of private joke that nobody's laughing at. I would never relate a series to terms like that; I'd rather use more telling descriptors like "romantic comedy with minor fantasy elements." The whole "broken" descriptor I'd save for something more out-there like Shuffle or School Days; I think that the girls of Clannad have genuine emotional issues that a viewer will likely empathize with. Instead of being obsessively jealous murderers.
Let me ask you this: have you actually met a girl with "genuine" emotional issues in your life that you can empathize with?
My point wasn't the fact that they were girls. My point was that at it's core, it's about the characters and their problems, and how by solving them, people become closer which ties more into the fact that it's a romance series.

The fact that the majority of the characters with problems are girls is a non-issue, and that's why I leave the choice of who finds what to be "moe" to opinion, rather than broadly labeling the product as being in a moe "genre." Hell, the few male characters have their own issues too which the girls end up helping them with.

DomFortress wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why we see so many complaints about moe on here, when everyone seems to relish labeling so many series' as "moe anime." I'd just as soon suggest to stop bringing it up and let the fans decide who/what they think is moe; if you think the community is shoving it down your throats, I feel that you're now doing the exact same thing to people like me.
Then wake up and see the fact of life, for real life is not like moe anime at all not just because moe is a fantasy, but also not ideal.
When did I ever say anything that would require a response about this?

My stance is that I think it's not worth labeling as a genre...It's more of a character descriptor. Yet you're accusing me of being deluded as to my perspective of women?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. That the fictional media I watch should NOT be a fantasy? Should they have characters that are completely meaningless to the viewer?

Man, I even said it in my post; romance with fantasy. There's gotta be something to develop these characters, and it certainly isn't a Slice of Life show. I couldn't care less if the characters weren't cute or "moe." I watched it because of other elements; the elements which the ANN Encyclopedia even states, with moe nowhere on the page! This is I why I think it's a bad idea to advertise it primarily as moe. It's not for the girls that one would watch this anime; it's for what's behind the characters' inclusion into the series, and the relationships between them that gives a series its genre.

Unless someone is indeed part of this moe problem that has become ANN's pet joke.

the Rancorous wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
I'd say there's still a bias, but more in relation to the definition of the series than the rating it gets.

Good grief, any way they can slip an accusation in, huh? I mean here we have a very positive review of a series that ANN is 'suppose to hate' and people are still throwing accusations. Whatever, I'll stay away from that topic from now on...
Oh come off it, you're missing the point entirely. I even said that I didn't think this affected the review at all. I'm referring more to the description MOE WITH BROKEN GIRLS IN HERE. Which is what my complaint was about. I just find this over-the-top labeling as annoying as the people who have caused this backlash in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As good as the series looks, only in the Key emotional scenes does its soundtrack make much of an impact, though it works quite well in those cases.

I don't think key is supposed to be written like that there; I'm guessing that one automatic feature ANN has messed up again, and thought Theron was refering to the company Key, not just the normal word "key".
rekishi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I hope ADV releases a dub/billingual DVD soon.

i'd buy it again if they do.

but poor ADV seems to be circling the drain at the moment.
momamario

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Uhh... Hate to break the trend here, but on the topic of moe anime...

I actually DO know some girls that fit the moe stereotype in many ways. Of course I can't see them having some ridiculously deep emotional issue. And really... not many girls in Clannad actually had some deep emotional issue. For the most part they were rather normal except for some weird and possibly sometimes dumb (yes, I'll admit it) personality quirks.

I never liked the translations of visual novel to anime, because you cant take 13 routes of different characters and chuck it into a 24 episode anime. There simply isn't enough time!

So what the producers do is make the main character go with the main girl of the story, and throw in very abridged versions of the other characters routes to appease the fans... Sadly this makes the show feel like a harem, and if moe gets a bad rap in this increasingly elitist fanbase... then Harem... I dont even want to go there...
Also as an anime, it cant help but be far less immersive than the medium designed to put YOU in the shoes of the character, where everything is seen from first person and you're prompted to enter your name, plus deciding what to do at points.

And as for "The music sounding like it was out of a dating sim"...?
I hope I'm just being too uptight and didn't get the joke...

because like ... I felt that the anime for Clannad's strongest point was that it's music was all direct samples from ... the visual novel (or dating sim, if you will)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Clannad will get an English dub eventually. Probably, considering Air and Kanon.

I've only watched I think maybe 3 episodes last year if I recall. I think I couldn't keep interested in this one. Maybe I'll resume it soon.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh come off it, you're missing the point entirely. I even said that I didn't think this affected the review at all. I'm referring more to the description MOE WITH BROKEN GIRLS IN HERE. Which is what my complaint was about. I just find this over-the-top labeling as annoying as the people who have caused this backlash in the first place.

Labelling it as such makes it far much easier to categorize, though. Anyone who has seen Air or Kanon knows what "Moe with broken girls" is (I haven't seen Clannad). Romance drama or romance fantasy drama could be anything, even Revolutionary Girl Utena.
It's a description, not a genre, just like it would be for NGE "angsty teenage mecha pilot", probably. Because you wouldn't know what to expect when I said mecha drama, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5