• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

No, actually, it doesn't, that's the problem. Anime hyper
Also, has anybody other than 2001: A Space Odyssey and Firefly ever actually followed the "no sound in space" rule?

Planetes, Planetes, Planetes. The "hardest" sci-fi I've ever seen in anime, and an incredible character-driven show to boot.

I really do envy all of the Shelf Life entrants who are able to have multiple shelves set up. I have a few different shelving units in here, but they're all jam-packed with books, old Lego models, and other assorted odds and ends. If I ever get around to submitting pictures of my own collection, I think I'll wind up swapping out titles on the single shelf I do have dedicated to DVDs, since the rest are either piled on their side in wire storage cubes or crammed three-deep underneath my TV stand. Razz
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Planetes, Planetes, Planetes. The "hardest" sci-fi I've ever seen in anime, and an incredible character-driven show to boot.

Well, you just sold me on that! I'll check it out from the library as soon as I finish with Flag. Smile
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Were those Japanese DVDs of Shakugan no Shana for Season 1 or 2? (I want Season 2 so bad, come on, Funi/Geneon!)

Looks like a complete set of R1 singles and the FUNi thin-set ... not something I condone, but haven't seen much yet, so I will just chaulk it up to some being big enough fans to buy every release no matter what anyway.

No, next to the R1 singles and boxset, there are Japanese DVDs that clearly have the Shana characters on them, that's what I was asking about, if they were Season 1 or 2. And as for why one would buy the boxset if they already had the singles, it's probably because the boxset is the only way to get the OVA.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Quote:
Audiowise, I have one beef with the original sound mixing. It doesn't make sense why, when Age leaps onto a space car, he doesn't make any noise. Everybody is going to make some kind of noise when they jump onto a car, so the silence is unsettling.

Not having seen the show, I'm assuming this space care jumping occurs in outer space, right? If that's the case, it makes sense for there not to be any noise since space has no air, and air is required to carry sound waves. Still, I suppose it is kind of weird if that's the only moment when there isn't sound in outer space.

Ah, see, here's the weird thing. They use sound effects for their space stuff (the whirring of spaceships-- even seen from space, rocket boosters on their space mechs, etc)... but not jumping on the car, which is inside a space colony that has artificial gravity, etc. By all scientific accounts, there should be sound when someone jumps onto that car, no matter how agile they are.

DJTyrant wrote:
Are you sure there wasn't someone else in the shower with him =P??

Completely sure. He takes 45 minute showers every single time he showers. =/ Every. Single. Time. Sometimes they go even longer.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Completely sure. He takes 45 minute showers every single time he showers. =/ Every. Single. Time. Sometimes they go even longer.

Well...I guess you could look on the bright side. It's better than a roommate who doesn't shower enough. Wink
kavi

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Looks like a complete set of R1 singles and the FUNi thin-set . not something I condone, but haven't seen much yet, Baccano just keeps getting better and better. I remember that when I started this series, I thought to myself: "There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to keep track of all these characters!" Now, not only am I able to keep track of them, I'm also emotionally invested in most of them! And that's saying something, considering each character may only get five minutes at a time during each episode.

[Although you've been unmoderated since this was otherwise a reasonable post, there will be no more tagging advertisement links on your posts or you will be moderated again. - Key]
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
After a closer look at the Shelf Obsessed's...er...shelf, I also noticed he's got Saber Marionette J/J to X/R, and [i]Wet Summer Days[i].

I like this guy already~! Anime smile
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well...I guess you could look on the bright side. It's better than a roommate who doesn't shower enough. Wink

Tell me about it. I wish my housemate took 45 minute showers. Sad
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
I was expecting more hardcore figures(I've seen much worse in online stores) in the 4th photo, but it's still nice collection. With clothing-optional figures I tend to like to display them clothed since I'm kind of fussy about complete accessories. I'm curious about those boxes above and next to the FATE plushies--I can't figure out what they are. I'm very jealous about the Hazuki doll--it's something that I've wanted for a long time but never had the money for.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Haha, Ragnarok. An entertaining little game from time to time, but man what a terrible anime. I remember I made it about two episodes deep and quit before I was consumed by rage.

Funny you reviewed this now, since a buddy of mine was in an IRC channel with me the other day and we had a conversation something like this:

<Buddy> Hmm, let's see... I could check out Ragnarok the animation on my netflix, should I?
<Me> No.
<OtherPersonA> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
<OtherPersonB> OH GOD RAGNAROK
*OtherPersonC dies.
<OtherPersonD> Ragnarok is seriously...bad...
<Me> That show is like the epitome of poor writing, characters with zero personality, face-palm inducing dialog, and poor animation... and this is from someone who likes the game. An all-around rage-inducing experience I suggest staying away from.
<Buddy> ..... okay <=D
<Buddy> So you actually watched it, then?
<OtherPersonB> I put my computer in the incinerator after the first episode.
<Me> It was so bad that after two episodes I almost swore off fansubs completely.

We talked him out of it but I'll send him the link to the review since he might get a kick out of it. Anime hyper
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kaelis Ra wrote:
I am in the waiting for the bathroom (where my flatmate is taking another of his epic showers) situation as I type this, knowing I am meant to be attending class in short order. I guess I need to ask, is there at least a household substitute for brushing your teeth?

Oral B Brush-Ups- y'know, the pockety things you slide onto your finger then rub on your teeth. I got a box for free and started carrying them around, so if i was out somewhere and ate something "fragrant" I wouldn't have to bust out a toothbrush in a public restroom. They work well enough my dental hygenist asked me what I was doing different so he could reccomend it to other paitents.

My sister used to take hour long showers... I never, ever figured out what she was doing in there. I only take 20 minutes... a lot of that is hair-washing (mine's something like 3 feet long and curly, it's time-consuming to wash.)
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
No, actually, it doesn't, that's the problem. Anime hyper
Also, has anybody other than 2001: A Space Odyssey and Firefly ever actually followed the "no sound in space" rule?

Magic User's Club
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
I'm curious about those boxes above and next to the FATE plushies--I can't figure out what they are.
Those are oppai pads. Kind of like a mouse pads where the boobs act as a wrist support. The oppai pads in the image seem to featuring Alice from Alice Parade and Hibarigaoka Yuki from Buraban. There are times when I get worried about why I know this.

I find the collection to be very lacking in visual novels/eroge considering the oppai pads, figures and several anime that are based on visual novels/eroge. I would expect someone who owns Higurashi in Japanese to have at least Umineko no Naku Koro ni or the games you have figures and pads for.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
or the games you have figures and pads for.
Well, I dunno... I'm not a big figure collector but I buy figs based on how nice they look, not where they came from, and I don't buy a fig just because it's a character/franchise I like unless the figure is nice enough on its own merit (great example). Over half of my figures were purchased with no idea what their origin was :p (beyond whatever meaningless--to me at the time--category the shop had it listed under)
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Poor guy needs another book shelf. I'm at this point now too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5