• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Only Yesterday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As the contributions of other members should make it clear, a substantial edit to the "how to get it" section is needed.

I know it was released in R4, as that's where I bought my entirely legitimate DVD. So yeah, there should be an edit. We don't want people thinking they cannot get it when in fact it is available in various parts of the world . . . . . .
nargun

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I think all modern DVD players are NTSC/PAL capable. Cheaper to mass-produce them for the whole world, then just change the region setting. Or maybe it's just that the Philippine market is small enough that importing an NTSC-only player when our neighbours use PAL isn't cost-effective.

IIRC, the DVD spec mandates that the player handle and output both 30/480 and 25/576 material. Any problems are with the TV or with region encoding.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
I think all modern DVD players are NTSC/PAL capable. Cheaper to mass-produce them for the whole world, then just change the region setting. Or maybe it's just that the Philippine market is small enough that importing an NTSC-only player when our neighbours use PAL isn't cost-effective.

IIRC, the DVD spec mandates that the player handle and output both 30/480 and 25/576 material. Any problems are with the TV or with region encoding.

Many people have an older DVD player and will be unpleasantly surprised when the PAL DVD does not work in it. Specs change are not adhered to and players sometimes don't anyway play what they say they will, especially older players.

Mandate anything you want. I write from personal experience with several players over more than 10 years in the UK and having had problems in various areas with both regions and encoding schemas - don't trust the specs Smile

In any case - the film is wonderful. And I have an original Studio Ghibli DVD Player BTW - cute as hell, never have tried to play anything on it yet though, still in the original box.

Nico M
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This definitely sounds like an anime worth watching that has little to do with all the other popular stuff. In fact, anime that address such subjects as Only Yesterday does are a blessing in disguise. That said, I think I shall acquire it.

And Justin, you're not alone in that. I was also quite the adult as a kid. In fact, I pretty much became an adult at 14. I was so serious all the time and studied myself to death, figuring that I had to finish school as best as I can. What this did to me negatively was cost me a lot of social interaction. I ended up becoming quite introverted and hardly spoke with anyone despite performing quite well in my classes. If I were to use this anime's message, I think my past is telling me that even though I'm 25 now, I still have time to open my social circle and make friends. And to that end, I am Anime smile

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri May 22, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
I bought this while I lived in Taiwan and I quite enjoyed it. When I found out that it looked like it would never be released in America, I was especially glad that I bought it when I had the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skwid

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

That's been my experience importing American DVDs for watching on UK DVD players. There are plenty of factory resets available online that get rid of region locking. I've always found it worthwhile, even if it takes buying a second, super-cheap player (some resets need disks).
Losstarot

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Do all official Japan-released Studio Ghibli DVDs have an english subtitle track on them? I've been assuming they didn't ...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
Do all official Japan-released Studio Ghibli DVDs have an english subtitle track on them? I've been assuming they didn't ...

Yes they all have a dub and sub track
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
As to why Disney has never released Omoide Poro Poro over here is as baffling to me as is any Anime fan here in the US, who is a Studio Ghibli fan. That and also why Ocean Waves hasn't been released over here as well. Why they cant have Touchstone release them (even before the economy went 'sour') I don't understand either. (And while we're at it, was Miyazaki-san's PV for the Chage and Aska song 'On Your Mark' ever released over here? Just asking. is all.)
BTW, Justin, I remember your review for'Bobby's In Deep' very well. which inspired me to go seek it out and watch it. It was truly a 'Buried Treasure'.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Losstarot wrote:

Yes they all have a dub and sub track

Why would Japanese put a dub on their releases when they don't need it, but not include it on the International version which does need it? That confuses me. To no end.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Why would Japanese put a dub on their releases when they don't need it, but not include it on the International version which does need it? That confuses me. To no end.

Sorry I read the post wrong I thought they were asking about the official US releases which all have the sub and dub track on their release. I do think some of the Japanese releases of Ghibli films have a sub track though but not a dub.

As for Only Yesterday I am pretty sure all the official releases only have the Japanese audio with subtitles. At least this is true for the UK release.
fuonk

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Takahata Isao is my favorite anime director, and Omohide poroporo is the single anime I recommend most often to people who have never watched an anime. I think Justin did an excellent job in writing his review.

I like many of Miyazaki Hayao's anime, especially Spirited Away and Totoro. But Miyazaki's anime tend all to be good (or excellent, as the case may be) in similar ways. Takahata's anime are excellent, and each one is completely different from all of the rest.

For many years, I was frustrated by Disney's apparent intention to shelve this title forever, and thought maliciously that this was because it was so much better than anything Disney had made, that they feared their own works would pale in comparison.

But Noel Vera, in another excellent review of the anime (http://criticafterdark.blogspot.com/2007/06/omohide-poro-poro-only-yesterday-isao.html) proposes a much more plausible reason: there is a scene in which schoolgirls are taught about menstruation in school, and are teased by the boys, who find out about this. The sex-education-belongs-in-the-home-if-anywhere faction has huge power in US politics, and Disney was presumably unwilling to deal with the political fallout of airing a film which would surely be watched by a large number of children (although it was not really made for them).

I'm glad that so many people in this forum have seen this anime and valued it. Very Happy
square721bt

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Looking for this now!

BTW, it would be lovely if Buried Treasures could get an RSS feed.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this movie was bubbled back to my conscious mind with this review. I, too, saw it during the famed TCM marathon -- and I indeed stayed up for the whole darn thing, from when it started in the afternoon to the wee hours of the morning. I remember John Lasseter did the bumpers and the early shows were the dubbed versions, and the late-night replays were the subs. This was my first-ever heavy immersion into anime.

Every now and again I'd try to remember the name of the "normal" anime shown during that marathon, and now I know.

P.S.: I entered the Miyazaki contest giveaway from TCM, and I won first prize, which was a package with all things Totoro, including the storyboards book and everything.

P.P.S.: When is TCM going to do another Miyazaki marathon?
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks, Justin, for reviewing this gem!

I think about OY at least once a month when I receive TCM's e-newsletter. I am keeping vigil for a repeat airing. Someday...

I am curious about the Amazon UK site. Will they convert the price to US dollars? Heck, ANY price would be a bargain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6